spokes from hell

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Carl Fogel, Feb 20, 2004.

  1. Carl Fogel

    Carl Fogel Guest

    Dear Jobst,

    I was browsing in the unfamiliar road motorcycle world and found these strange spokes:

    http://www.buchananspokes.com/HDSpokes.htm

    I thought that you might like to see that no matter how bad things are in the bicycle world, they
    could be worse.

    Carl Fogel

    Tags:

  2. Dan Daniel

    Dan Daniel Guest

  3. John Everett

    John Everett Guest

    On 20 Feb 2004 19:20:52 -0800, [email protected] (Carl Fogel)
    wrote:

    >Dear Jobst,
    >
    >I was browsing in the unfamiliar road motorcycle world and found these strange spokes:
    >
    > http://www.buchananspokes.com/HDSpokes.htm
    >
    >I thought that you might like to see that no matter how bad things are in the bicycle world, they
    >could be worse.

    Actually, my favorites were shown on a recent "American Chopper"; barbed wire spokes. :)

  4. Jim Beam

    Jim Beam Guest

    didn't think they're made them any more. i called their u.s. distributor a while back and was told
    that they'd been dropped due to lack of demand.

    Dan Daniel wrote:
    > On 20 Feb 2004 19:20:52 -0800, [email protected] (Carl Fogel) wrote:
    >

    >>Dear Jobst,
    >>
    >>I was browsing in the unfamiliar road motorcycle world and found these strange spokes:
    >>
    >> http://www.buchananspokes.com/HDSpokes.htm
    >>
    >>I thought that you might like to see that no matter how bad things are in the bicycle world, they
    >>could be worse.
    >>
    >>Carl Fogel
    >

    > Uh.....
    >
    > http://www.sapim.be/en/twist.htm

  5. Carl Fogel

    Carl Fogel Guest

    Dan Daniel <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > On 20 Feb 2004 19:20:52 -0800, [email protected] (Carl Fogel) wrote:
    >
    > >Dear Jobst,
    > >
    > >I was browsing in the unfamiliar road motorcycle world and found these strange spokes:
    > >
    > > http://www.buchananspokes.com/HDSpokes.htm
    > >
    > >I thought that you might like to see that no matter how bad things are in the bicycle world, they
    > >could be worse.
    > >
    > >Carl Fogel
    >

    > Uh.....
    >
    > http://www.sapim.be/en/twist.htm

    Dear Dan,

    I really like the inspired claims for those spiral twist spokes in that ad:

    --Makes for very smooth and shock-absorbing wheels --The TWIST prevents the nipples from
    coming loose.

    Presumably, they could also be broken in the field and used for really crude drill bits.

    Thanks for an entertaining link.

    Carl Fogel

  6. Carl Fogel

    Carl Fogel Guest

    John Everett <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > On 20 Feb 2004 19:20:52 -0800, [email protected] (Carl Fogel) wrote:
    >
    > >Dear Jobst,
    > >
    > >I was browsing in the unfamiliar road motorcycle world and found these strange spokes:
    > >
    > > http://www.buchananspokes.com/HDSpokes.htm
    > >
    > >I thought that you might like to see that no matter how bad things are in the bicycle world, they
    > >could be worse.
    >
    > Actually, my favorites were shown on a recent "American Chopper"; barbed wire spokes. :)
    >

    > jeverett3<AT>earthlink<DOT>net http://home.earthlink.net/~jeverett3

    Dear John,

    I'm disappointed. The color is wrong:

    http://groups.msn.com/OCCOrangeCountyChoppersAFanSite/powmiabike.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=756

    Carl Fogel

  7. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    >> On 20 Feb 2004 19:20:52 -0800, [email protected] (Carl Fogel)
    >> wrote:
    >>> I was browsing in the unfamiliar road motorcycle world and found these strange spokes:
    >>> http://www.buchananspokes.com/HDSpokes.htm I thought that you might like to see that no matter
    >>> how bad things are in the bicycle world, they could be worse.

    > Dan Daniel wrote:
    >> Uh....>> http://www.sapim.be/en/twist.htm

    >>jim beam wrote:
    > didn't think they're made them any more. i called their u.s. distributor a while back and was told
    > that they'd been dropped due to lack of demand.

    in Lowrider sizes they are readily available (we sell them) WIth 72 spokes in a 20" wheel, nothing
    about the spoke matters much.

  8. Dvt

    Dvt Guest

    A Muzi wrote:
    WIth 72
    > spokes in a 20" wheel, nothing about the spoke matters much.

    Jeepers. I guess if a spoke had sharp edges, you'd cut the heck out of your hands trying to work in
    those tiny spaces. Surely the strength of the individual spoke is unimportant.

    Dave dvt at psu dot edu

  9. Werehatrack

    Werehatrack Guest

    On 22 Feb 2004 19:30:54 -0800, [email protected] (Carl Fogel) may
    have said:

    >Dan Daniel <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:<[email protected]>...
    >> On 20 Feb 2004 19:20:52 -0800, [email protected] (Carl Fogel) wrote:
    >>
    >> Uh.....
    >>
    >> http://www.sapim.be/en/twist.htm
    >
    >Dear Dan,
    >
    >I really like the inspired claims for those spiral twist spokes in that ad:
    >
    >--Makes for very smooth and shock-absorbing wheels --The TWIST prevents the nipples from
    >coming loose.
    >
    >Presumably, they could also be broken in the field and used for really crude drill bits.
    >
    >Thanks for an entertaining link.

    To me, the most entertaining piece of doublespeak was this one:

    "SAPIM ADVANCED COLD FORGING TECHNOLOGY (SCFT) increases the tensile strength of the middle section
    of Sapim spokes(1080-1180N/mm²) by up to min. 48%. "

    Excuse me? "...up to min. 48%"? This does not parse.

  10. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    dvt wrote:
    > Jeepers. I guess if a spoke had sharp edges, you'd cut the heck out of your hands trying to work
    > in those tiny spaces. Surely the strength of the individual spoke is unimportant.

    The spoke wrench looks like a motorcycle spoke wrench or the one used on wire auto wheels. Reaches
    from the side. No room to turn a regular wrench in there.