Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Spokes Pinging ( What to look for?)

Started by Booker C. Bense · · Last activity · 3 posts · 557 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
23 August 2005
Last activity
24 August 2005
Original author
Booker C. Bense
Posts
3
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
557
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–3 of 3
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

    _ I have a wheel that I build up last summer that is suddenly
    making spoke pinging noises very similar to the kind you get when
    the wheel is first built and weight on the wheel takes the windup
    out of spokes. If I had just built this wheel I wouldn't be too
    concerned, but I can't figure out why I should start hearing
    those kinds of noises now. The wheel has more than a thousand
    miles on it and the spoke tension seems balanced and the wheel is
    as true now as when built. I looked for cracks in the rim or on
    the hub and can't see anything. Any suggestions as to what else
    to check?

    _ Booker C. Bense

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Version: 2.6.2

    iQCVAwUBQwt9s2TWTAjn5N/lAQGaRQQAoz2xLrOScHWMocHRN4C6hyCedzSi1ZR2
    z8xagftoNki8TKFMC7W3Lb4JsaP6v8nm4bzB2pZgK1ilz5S/TcFOwB2Iez4JbEsA
    /KI54zcMvXu75GGuoUwheDpiroV8tvEilYvEnmVv2CcEqDCiJJFwDiHCvapBpfFY
    NMRODilYaho=
    =+aTJ
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

  2. Booker C. Bense said:


    _ I have a wheel that I build up last summer that is suddenly
    making spoke pinging noises very similar to the kind you get when
    the wheel is first built and weight on the wheel takes the windup
    out of spokes. If I had just built this wheel I wouldn't be too
    concerned, but I can't figure out why I should start hearing
    those kinds of noises now. The wheel has more than a thousand
    miles on it and the spoke tension seems balanced and the wheel is
    as true now as when built.

    Aluminum nipples? Especially after a wet ride mine get a little
    corrosion or something in there so I oil the threads and spoke holes and
    give each one a twist and untwist and that takes care of it for about 6
    months. The sound is more like chain rub on the front derailleur but it
    could be a ping.

  3. -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

    In article <1124830950.83ecf77720f77e05abb5498a72fa7976@teranews>,

    Diablo Scott said:
    Booker C. Bense said:


    _ I have a wheel that I build up last summer that is suddenly
    making spoke pinging noises very similar to the kind you get when
    the wheel is first built and weight on the wheel takes the windup
    out of spokes. If I had just built this wheel I wouldn't be too
    concerned, but I can't figure out why I should start hearing
    those kinds of noises now. The wheel has more than a thousand
    miles on it and the spoke tension seems balanced and the wheel is
    as true now as when built.

    Aluminum nipples? Especially after a wet ride mine get a little
    corrosion or something in there so I oil the threads and spoke holes and
    give each one a twist and untwist and that takes care of it for about 6
    months. The sound is more like chain rub on the front derailleur but it
    could be a ping.

    _ I poked around some more and it appears to be some kind of crud
    causing some of the spokes to "stick" where they cross. I can
    duplicate the noise by squeezing spoke pairs.

    _ Booker C. Bense

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Version: 2.6.2

    iQCVAwUBQwy3i2TWTAjn5N/lAQGqBwQAsPdzJtxYcHqmX5yYMIwI5gUvN+ppE8mp
    q9shjBbg0r9JG0Y575gOJ0vl2tpMBfGG5equIsa9vYLNilRAuiMoZ+fahPBcyxSH
    cbpQVBloyn4pjd2j8wT/DXzxReT0fxkIe0kkVGEwA6Mi93gD4xjiNheNgpXZqSL2
    MbcqE9fNZLY=
    =IFth
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.