spokes

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by x1psh1x, Mar 17, 2006.

  1. x1psh1x

    x1psh1x Guest

    Tags:

  2. lleberg

    lleberg Guest

    Personally i don't think it makes much difference!
    12 spokes+mipples weights about nothing.

    Sure a 48 spoking is "stronger"..

    But to tell you the truth, i haven't sen any muni/trial wheels pop
    because of a badly built wheel, it has either been the (early2005model)
    kh rim sidewall that popped, or in some extrema cases some splined
    cranks been bent or snapped.

    All unis i have bought have had some really sloppy spoke tension out of
    the box.. And that's far more dangerus than having a few spokes more or
    not.

    I'ld go for 36h because of lower weight, a nicer looking wheel, and a
    not as hard wheel to true and tension!
    36h on a 387mm rim is still a LOT!

    --
    lleberg

    I <3 my unicycle!
    lleberg's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8272

  3. x1psh1x

    x1psh1x Guest

  4. trials_uni

    trials_uni Guest

    the hub..the frame, the seat, the name.

    1. the kh hub is 36 spline(super strong) while the torker is only 8 or
    10(still quite strong)

    2. the torker frame is quite combersome and made of steel the kh is
    very light aluminum

    3. the torker seat is a cheap copy of the kh

    4. the kh name is best known in the sport...its only natural that his
    stuff cost a bit more.

    --
    trials_uni

    TRIALS 4 LIFE !

    written by me

  5. x1psh1x

    x1psh1x Guest

  6. trials_uni

    trials_uni Guest

  7. x1psh1x

    x1psh1x Guest

  8. trials_uni

    trials_uni Guest

  9. x1psh1x

    x1psh1x Guest

  10. trials_uni

    trials_uni Guest

  11. lleberg

    lleberg Guest

    trials_uni wrote:
    > the hub..the frame, the seat, the name.
    > 1. the kh hub is 36 spline(super strong) while the torker is only 8 or
    > 10(still quite strong)
    > <more>

    What is with this fairytale of more splines the more strength?
    No splined cranksets will break any splines, it isn't a weak spot as on
    a square tapper hub!
    It is the cranks strengt in itself that keeps it from bending, not the
    splines!

    --
    lleberg

    I <3 my unicycle!
    lleberg's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8272

  12. trials_uni

    trials_uni Guest

  13. lleberg

    lleberg Guest

    Well, no.
    It will be the exact the same amount of tourqe.
    It will be devided over a greater surfice though (probably, the fever
    splines the bigger and deeper they are), but the hub will still suffer
    from the same amount of tourqe.
    I hawe never heard of anyone stripping theri splines what so ever, i
    cant se why it's that important.
    Cranks bends or snaps a hub can be twisted.. but that has to do with
    the strength of the axle and not the splines!

    --
    lleberg

    I <3 my unicycle!
    lleberg's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8272

  14. filo

    filo Guest

    i dont think that hub spline really matter i run either of the i think
    spokes dont matter either you gota run rims with eyelets for the spokes
    with out a dought to stop pullin the nipple through ya rim cause that
    really hurts...

    --
    filo

    :D Filo-the stuntman:D