Spokey Joe - Explorer Trailers

Sandy Morton

Guest
Anyone had/have any experience of these? I recently purchased some
for the hiring fleet and whilst the general build seems to be good I
am concerned about the way that the wheels are fixed to the chassis.

--
A T (Sandy) Morton
on the Bicycle Island

Sandy Morton wrote:
> Anyone had/have any experience of these? I recently purchased some
> for the hiring fleet and whilst the general build seems to be good I
> am concerned about the way that the wheels are fixed to the chassis.

I've not seen one in the flesh: how are they fixed? My current trailer
has a kind of vertical drop-out made from ally, and it works well -
only lost a wheel once, when a cycpath bollard flipped the QR lever.
Other trailers I've seen have an axlenut fixing, but Spokey Joes are
QRs of some kind?

In article <[email protected]>,
sothach <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Anyone had/have any experience of these? I recently purchased
> > some for the hiring fleet and whilst the general build seems to
> > be good I am concerned about the way that the wheels are fixed to
> > the chassis.

> I've not seen one in the flesh: how are they fixed? My current
> trailer has a kind of vertical drop-out made from ally, and it
> works well - only lost a wheel once, when a cycpath bollard flipped
> the QR lever. Other trailers I've seen have an axlenut fixing, but
> Spokey Joes are QRs of some kind?

They seem to have a spring loaded rod going throught the centre of
the stub axle. The rod holds two ball bearings in place and they
hold the wheel on - if that makes sense. I'll try and get some
photos but the weather is slightly less than perfect today :-((

--
T h e - e x t e n d e r ! ! ! !

Sandy Morton wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> sothach <[email protected]> wrote:
> > > Anyone had/have any experience of these? I recently purchased
> > > some for the hiring fleet and whilst the general build seems to
> > > be good I am concerned about the way that the wheels are fixed to
> > > the chassis.

> > I've not seen one in the flesh: how are they fixed? My current
> > trailer has a kind of vertical drop-out made from ally, and it
> > works well - only lost a wheel once, when a cycpath bollard flipped
> > the QR lever. Other trailers I've seen have an axlenut fixing, but
> > Spokey Joes are QRs of some kind?

> They seem to have a spring loaded rod going throught the centre of
> the stub axle. The rod holds two ball bearings in place and they
> hold the wheel on - if that makes sense. I'll try and get some
> photos but the weather is slightly less than perfect today :-((

Sounds like a standard wheelchair hubs. Judging by th ehuge number of
stranded wheelchair users one sees canted over to one side with the
loose wheel running away down the hill .. not.. I don't think it is a
problem.

My Winther Dolphin has similar q/r wheels and the problem now is
getting them off when I want to, and has never been having them fall
off.

...d