Spoking patterns

Nigel Grinter

Guest
Just for fun I was wanting to try some of the less-common
spoke lacings. I came across the 'crow's foot' pattern in
'The Bicycle Wheel' in which pairs of crossed spokes are
separated by a single radial spoke. In the illustration it
looks as if all the spokes are inserted in the hub 'heads
in'. Is this right?

Thanks for any help.

Nigel Grinter

> Just for fun I was wanting to try some of the less-common
> spoke lacings. I came across the 'crow's foot' pattern in
> 'The Bicycle Wheel' in which pairs of crossed spokes are
> separated by a single radial spoke. In the illustration it
> looks as if all the spokes are inserted in the hub 'heads
> in'. Is this right?

Depends in the crossings used:
http://www.stormpages.com/spokeanwheel/lacingcf.htm

news:[email protected]...

"Ronald" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> > Just for fun I was wanting to try some of the less-
> > common spoke lacings. I came across the 'crow's foot'
> > pattern in 'The Bicycle Wheel' in which pairs of crossed
> > spokes are separated by a single radial spoke. In the
> > illustration it looks as if all the spokes are inserted
> > in the hub 'heads in'. Is this right?
>
> Depends in the crossings used:
> http://www.stormpages.com/spokeanwheel/lacingcf.htm
>

> "Nigel Grinter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Just for fun I was wanting to try some of the less-
> > common spoke lacings. I came across the 'crow's foot'
> > pattern in 'The Bicycle Wheel' in which pairs of crossed
> > spokes are separated by a single radial spoke. In the
> > illustration it looks as if all the spokes are inserted
> > in the hub 'heads in'. Is this right?
> >
> > Thanks for any help.
> >
> > Nigel Grinter

Dear Ronald,

Thanks for referring me to that site.

Best wishes,

Nigel Grinter

On Wed, 19 May 2004 21:19:14 -0400, "David L. Johnson"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Wed, 19 May 2004 07:29:48 -0700, Nigel Grinter wrote:
>
>> Just for fun I was wanting to try some of the less-common
>> spoke lacings. I came across the 'crow's foot' pattern in
>> 'The Bicycle Wheel' in which pairs of crossed spokes are
>> separated by a single radial spoke. In the illustration
>> it looks as if all the spokes are inserted in the hub
>> 'heads in'. Is this right?
>
>Not the way I did it. I had the non-radial spokes crossing
>on either side of the radial spoke, the head-in one on the
>inside. I think I did all the radial spokes head-in.
>
>BTW, it was not a very reliable wheel.

Just curious, how did it reveal its unreliability? Did
something break (hub, spokes, rim) or did spokes loosen, or
what? Thanks.