sponsorship for a new high school

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Matt And Helen, Jun 27, 2003.

  1. My name is Matt and I am a Cat 4 road racer in New Jersey. My wife is the Director of Curriculum for
    a local school district and she approached me with an idea she and a few people had. Her district is
    in the process of building its first ever high school, slated for opening September 2005. The high
    school will have approximately 1,000 kids.

    The administration would like to start teaching bicycling in gym class, they are going to have
    approximately one to two miles of paved trails around the school. She would like to incorporate
    heart rate training, physics (with aerodynamics, drag, etc..), nutrition, and good overall cycling
    knowledge.

    The district does not have the money to spend on heart rate monitor, bicycles and helmets, so my
    wife asked me to see if there are any companies, programs, etc, that would either donate or help
    fund this endeavor.

    I was thinking about going directly to the bike companies, Mavic and polar but thought I would see
    if anyone here had any suggestions. If anyone does you can post here or email me direct. Thanks alot
    for the consideration.

    Matt Payne

    Tags:

  2. Andy Coggan

    Andy Coggan Guest

    "Matt and Helen Payne" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > My name is Matt and I am a Cat 4 road racer in New Jersey. My wife is the Director of
    > Curriculum for a local school district and she approached me with an idea she and a few people
    > had. Her district is in the process of building its first ever high school, slated for opening
    > September 2005.
    The
    > high school will have approximately 1,000 kids.
    >
    > The administration would like to start teaching bicycling in gym class,
    they
    > are going to have approximately one to two miles of paved trails around
    the
    > school. She would like to incorporate heart rate training, physics (with aerodynamics, drag,
    > etc..), nutrition, and good overall cycling knowledge.
    >
    > The district does not have the money to spend on heart rate monitor, bicycles and helmets, so my
    > wife asked me to see if there are any
    companies,
    > programs, etc, that would either donate or help fund this endeavor.
    >
    > I was thinking about going directly to the bike companies, Mavic and polar but thought I would see
    > if anyone here had any suggestions. If anyone
    does
    > you can post here or email me direct. Thanks alot for the consideration.
    >
    > Matt Payne

    First, kudos to the administratoin for being so forward-thinking...

    Second, I'm guessing that you might have better luck trying to find a local, non-cycling-related
    corporate sponsor than getting one from w/in the cycling industry. After all, the positive PR from
    such a project will be primarily local in nature...and many corporations are often on the look-out
    for ways they can give back (or appear to give back) to the communities in which they are based. If
    nothing else, pursuing contacts locally is bound to be easier ("face time" undoubtly being helpful).

    Andy Coggan

  3. Phil Holman

    Phil Holman Guest

    news:ph%[email protected]...
    > "Matt and Helen Payne" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > My name is Matt and I am a Cat 4 road racer in New Jersey. My wife
    is the
    > > Director of Curriculum for a local school district and she
    approached me
    > > with an idea she and a few people had. Her district is in the
    process of
    > > building its first ever high school, slated for opening September
    2005.
    > The
    > > high school will have approximately 1,000 kids.
    > >
    > > The administration would like to start teaching bicycling in gym
    class,
    > they
    > > are going to have approximately one to two miles of paved trails
    around
    > the
    > > school. She would like to incorporate heart rate training, physics
    (with
    > > aerodynamics, drag, etc..), nutrition, and good overall cycling
    knowledge.

    > > The district does not have the money to spend on heart rate monitor, bicycles and helmets, so my
    > > wife asked me to see if there are any
    > companies,
    > > programs, etc, that would either donate or help fund this endeavor.
    > >
    > > I was thinking about going directly to the bike companies, Mavic and
    polar
    > > but thought I would see if anyone here had any suggestions. If
    anyone
    > does
    > > you can post here or email me direct. Thanks alot for the
    consideration.

    > > Matt Payne
    >
    > First, kudos to the administratoin for being so forward-thinking...
    >
    > Second, I'm guessing that you might have better luck trying to find a
    local,
    > non-cycling-related corporate sponsor than getting one from w/in the
    cycling
    > industry. After all, the positive PR from such a project will be
    primarily
    > local in nature...and many corporations are often on the look-out for
    ways
    > they can give back (or appear to give back) to the communities in
    which they
    > are based. If nothing else, pursuing contacts locally is bound to be
    easier
    > ("face time" undoubtly being helpful).

    I agree. I recently finished teaching an "Introduction to Engineering" at a local high school. This
    was sponsored by my employer, The Boeing Company, and is a small part of their overall Community
    plan. I would look to the large corporations with deeper pockets in the local community for funding
    such an endeavor.

    Phil Holman