SportHill for warm weather

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Phil M., Mar 15, 2004.

  1. Phil M.

    Phil M. Guest

    Most of my runs these days are in the 55 - 70 deg F. range
    (Atlanta), so I'm looking for some appropriate warm weather
    clothing. From the January thread "reviews of winter running
    clothes" there were a few brands that stood out. One of
    those was SportHill. Although their web site is pretty poor
    (missing images, bad layout, etc.), some of the prices seem
    very reasonable. I guess they had the neighbor's kid do the
    web design and passed the savings on to the customer ;-).
    They also have some summer clothing on sale. They have some
    very good prices on some weird-colored items (lime green,
    burnt orange).

    Anyone have some experience with SportHill's warm weather
    running apparel? Any other brands you could recommend?

    -Phil

    Tags:

  2. In article <[email protected]>, Phil M. wrote:
    > Most of my runs these days are in the 55 - 70 deg F. range
    > (Atlanta), so I'm looking for some appropriate warm
    > weather clothing. From the January thread "reviews of
    > winter running clothes" there were a few brands that stood
    > out. One of those was SportHill. Although their web site
    > is pretty poor (missing images, bad layout, etc.), some of
    > the prices seem very reasonable. I guess they had the
    > neighbor's kid do the web design and passed the savings on
    > to the customer ;-). They also have some summer clothing
    > on sale. They have some very good prices on some weird-
    > colored items (lime green, burnt orange).
    >
    > Anyone have some experience with SportHill's warm weather
    > running apparel? Any other brands you could recommend?

    After that report from that poor guy who tried to order from
    SportHill's website, I simply don't trust their mail order
    business. They seem downright incompetent, at least in their
    mail order business. This is unfortunate, because they do
    make great clothing.

    As far as brands go, I'd recommend sugoi, but their shorts
    aren't available discounted. I'd recommend moving comfort,
    but they only make womens clothes. On a more pragmatic
    note, I'd recommend insport because it's easy to pick up
    their clothes at a discount, and I'm reasonably happy with
    what I've purchased from them (though I like Sugoi and
    Sporthill more).

    As for getting cheap summer clothing, the usual suspects
    (rei.com, rei-outlet.com, campmor.com, insport.com) still
    have some mens shorts, but a lot of the discount shorts
    are running out. It's easier to buy discount winter
    clothes now -- just picked up a Sugoi vest with a mesh
    back for half price. Also noticed that Sporthill Explorer
    tops are about 40% off at a lot of running stores these
    days (online and offline).

    insport.com still has several styles of discounted shorts
    available. As far as online stores go, I've ordered from
    them a few times now and have had no problems at all.

    So far, I've picked up 3 pairs of shorts: two pairs of
    moving comfort shorts for my fiancee ($8 at rei-outlet) and
    a pair of retail (ouch) Sugoi 42k shorts for me. Yep, they
    were expensive, but they were also exactly what I wanted (a
    split racing short with gel pockets, mesh lining and a front
    key pocket), so I'm not complaining.

    Cheers,

  3. Phil M.

    Phil M. Guest

    Donovan Rebbechi <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > Phil M. wrote:
    >> Most of my runs these days are in the 55 - 70 deg F.
    >> range (Atlanta), so I'm looking for some appropriate warm
    >> weather clothing. From the January thread "reviews of
    >> winter running clothes" there were a few brands that
    >> stood out. One of those was SportHill. Although their web
    >> site is pretty poor (missing images, bad layout, etc.),
    >> some of the prices seem very reasonable. I guess they had
    >> the neighbor's kid do the web design and passed the
    >> savings on to the customer ;-). They also have some
    >> summer clothing on sale. They have some very good prices
    >> on some weird-colored items (lime green, burnt orange).
    >>
    >> Anyone have some experience with SportHill's warm weather
    >> running apparel? Any other brands you could recommend?
    >
    > After that report from that poor guy who tried to order
    > from SportHill's website, I simply don't trust their mail
    > order business. They seem downright incompetent, at least
    > in their mail order business. This is unfortunate, because
    > they do make great clothing.

    Oops. Too late. I could not resist. I ordered a pair of
    shorts and a t- shirt. I'll let you know how it goes.

    > As far as brands go, I'd recommend sugoi, but their shorts
    > aren't available discounted. I'd recommend moving comfort,
    > but they only make womens clothes. On a more pragmatic
    > note, I'd recommend insport because it's easy to pick up
    > their clothes at a discount, and I'm reasonably happy with
    > what I've purchased from them (though I like Sugoi and
    > Sporthill more).

    Yes. I do like InSport. I've ordered some of their poartech
    long sleave shirts for the winter. I have 2 pairs of their
    CMX classic short. They are a little too baggy on me now.
    After the weight loss, I'm saggin' and baggin' in most of my
    old stuff. If I like the SportHill stuff, and if the
    ordering process goes well, I'll stock up on some more.

    -Phil

  4. Glenn

    Glenn Guest

    Just a comment on Sporthill. DON'T ORDER ON THE WEB. I also
    had a horrible experience. However, I've been a very happy
    phone customer. Now, RRS is hit or miss phone or web. -
    glenn, consumer advocate

  5. Phil M.

    Phil M. Guest

    Donovan Rebbechi <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > Phil M. wrote:
    >> Most of my runs these days are in the 55 - 70 deg F.
    >> range (Atlanta), so I'm looking for some appropriate warm
    >> weather clothing. From the January thread "reviews of
    >> winter running clothes" there were a few brands that
    >> stood out. One of those was SportHill. Although their web
    >> site is pretty poor (missing images, bad layout, etc.),
    >> some of the prices seem very reasonable. I guess they had
    >> the neighbor's kid do the web design and passed the
    >> savings on to the customer ;-). They also have some
    >> summer clothing on sale. They have some very good prices
    >> on some weird-colored items (lime green, burnt orange).
    >>
    >> Anyone have some experience with SportHill's warm weather
    >> running apparel? Any other brands you could recommend?
    >
    > After that report from that poor guy who tried to order
    > from SportHill's website, I simply don't trust their mail
    > order business. They seem downright incompetent, at least
    > in their mail order business. This is unfortunate, because
    > they do make great clothing.

    I place my order with SportHill on Monday. I received my
    order today. Everything was perfect. Couldn't ask for better
    service. Hopefully, my experience is not unique. Satisfied
    customers tend to be not nearly as vocal as disgruntled
    customers.

    > So far, I've picked up 3 pairs of shorts: two pairs of
    > moving comfort shorts for my fiancee ($8 at rei-outlet)
    > and a pair of retail (ouch) Sugoi 42k shorts for me. Yep,
    > they were expensive, but they were also exactly what I
    > wanted (a split racing short with gel pockets, mesh lining
    > and a front key pocket), so I'm not complaining.

    The 42k shorts are very nice. I recently stopped by the
    local Fleet Feet store. They had a good selection of Sugoi
    clothing. However, they only had the women's version of
    the 42K shorts. They looked pretty good. They offered to
    order the men's version for me to try. I'd like like to
    get the Sugoi shorts and "TechniFine Mesh Tank" to use
    just for races.

    -Phil

  6. In article <[email protected]>, Phil M. wrote:
    > Donovan Rebbechi <[email protected]> wrote in

    > The 42k shorts are very nice. I recently stopped by the
    > local Fleet Feet store. They had a good selection of Sugoi
    > clothing. However, they only had the women's version of
    > the 42K shorts. They looked pretty good. They offered to
    > order the men's version for me to try. I'd like like to
    > get the Sugoi shorts and "TechniFine Mesh Tank" to use
    > just for races.

    That's the same as my team singlet, so I'd recommend it as a
    racing outfit. Then all you'll need is a pair of Asics Tiger
    Paws and you'll look just like me (-;

    Anyway, the singlet is very light and dries fairly
    quickly (stayed dry in the race when I was slopping water
    all over it) Some of the slighty heavier fabrics have a
    softer texture, but I find the light one just fine to run
    in anyway.

    Cheers,

  7. Phil M.

    Phil M. Guest

    Donovan Rebbechi <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > Phil M. wrote:
    >> Donovan Rebbechi <[email protected]> wrote in
    >
    >> The 42k shorts are very nice. I recently stopped by the
    >> local Fleet Feet store. They had a good selection of
    >> Sugoi clothing. However, they only had the women's
    >> version of the 42K shorts. They looked pretty good. They
    >> offered to order the men's version for me to try. I'd
    >> like like to get the Sugoi shorts and "TechniFine Mesh
    >> Tank" to use just for races.
    >
    > That's the same as my team singlet, so I'd recommend it as
    > a racing outfit. Then all you'll need is a pair of Asics
    > Tiger Paws and you'll look just like me (-;

    Oh? Well, then maybe I'll forget about Sugoi. ;-) The 2 1/2"
    inseam is quite a bit shorter than what I'm used to. The new
    SportHill shorts have a 3 1/2" inseam. Even those felt a
    little short compared to the "baggies" I've been wearing. At
    any rate, I won't feel out of place in a race.

    Phil M.

    --
    "Don't tell your friends their social faults; they will cure the fault
    and never forgive you." ­ L.P. Smith

  8. Phil M.

    Phil M. Guest

    Donovan Rebbechi <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > Phil M. wrote:
    >> Most of my runs these days are in the 55 - 70 deg F.
    >> range (Atlanta), so I'm looking for some appropriate warm
    >> weather clothing. From the January thread "reviews of
    >> winter running clothes" there were a few brands that
    >> stood out. One of those was SportHill. Although their web
    >> site is pretty poor (missing images, bad layout, etc.),
    >> some of the prices seem very reasonable. I guess they had
    >> the neighbor's kid do the web design and passed the
    >> savings on to the customer ;-). They also have some
    >> summer clothing on sale. They have some very good prices
    >> on some weird-colored items (lime green, burnt orange).
    >>
    >> Anyone have some experience with SportHill's warm weather
    >> running apparel? Any other brands you could recommend?
    >
    > After that report from that poor guy who tried to order
    > from SportHill's website, I simply don't trust their mail
    > order business. They seem downright incompetent, at least
    > in their mail order business. This is unfortunate, because
    > they do make great clothing.
    >
    > As far as brands go, I'd recommend sugoi, but their shorts
    > aren't available discounted. I'd recommend moving comfort,
    > but they only make womens clothes. On a more pragmatic
    > note, I'd recommend insport because it's easy to pick up
    > their clothes at a discount, and I'm reasonably happy with
    > what I've purchased from them (though I like Sugoi and
    > Sporthill more).
    >
    > As for getting cheap summer clothing, the usual suspects
    > (rei.com, rei-outlet.com, campmor.com, insport.com) still
    > have some mens shorts, but a lot of the discount shorts
    > are running out. It's easier to buy discount winter
    > clothes now -- just picked up a Sugoi vest with a mesh
    > back for half price. Also noticed that Sporthill Explorer
    > tops are about 40% off at a lot of running stores these
    > days (online and offline).
    >
    > insport.com still has several styles of discounted shorts
    > available. As far as online stores go, I've ordered from
    > them a few times now and have had no problems at all.
    >
    > So far, I've picked up 3 pairs of shorts: two pairs of
    > moving comfort shorts for my fiancee ($8 at rei-outlet)
    > and a pair of retail (ouch) Sugoi 42k shorts for me. Yep,
    > they were expensive, but they were also exactly what I
    > wanted (a split racing short with gel pockets, mesh lining
    > and a front key pocket), so I'm not complaining.

    I purchased 2 pairs of Sugoi shorts (42K and spearhead) from
    www.backcountrystore.com. But I'm having trouble locating
    the TehniFine mesh tank in medium. Any ideas where I can
    find this online?

    Phil M.

    --
    "Pain is temporary: the success it brings can be
    everlasting." -fortune cookie

  9. In article <[email protected]>, Phil M. wrote:

    > I purchased 2 pairs of Sugoi shorts (42K and spearhead)
    > from www.backcountrystore.com. But I'm having trouble
    > locating the TehniFine mesh tank in medium. Any ideas
    > where I can find this online?

    I've seen some of the sporthill mesh gear in the stores and
    it looks very good (especially the sensatech stuff). They're
    still selling some of it cheap. Good mesh gear should be
    easy to pick up.

    Cheers,

  10. Phil M.

    Phil M. Guest

    Donovan Rebbechi <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > Phil M. wrote:
    >
    >> I purchased 2 pairs of Sugoi shorts (42K and spearhead)
    >> from www.backcountrystore.com. But I'm having trouble
    >> locating the TehniFine mesh tank in medium. Any ideas
    >> where I can find this online?
    >
    > I've seen some of the sporthill mesh gear in the stores
    > and it looks very good (especially the sensatech stuff).
    > They're still selling some of it cheap. Good mesh gear
    > should be easy to pick up.
    >
    > Cheers,

    Yeah, but I'm hooked on Sugoi after wearing their shorts for
    the past month. I can't locate the Sugoi singlet.

    Phil M.

    --
    "Pain is temporary: the success it brings can be
    everlasting." -fortune cookie

  11. Phil M.

    Phil M. Guest

    Donovan Rebbechi <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > Phil M. wrote:
    >
    >> Yeah, but I'm hooked on Sugoi after wearing their shorts
    >> for the past month.
    >
    > They must smell pretty bad by now. Maybe you should rotate
    > two pairs ?
    >
    > Cheers,

    Hmmm... is that what that smell was? Thanks for the tip.

    Phil M.

    --
    "Pain is temporary: the success it brings can be
    everlasting." -fortune cookie

  12. Phil M.

    Phil M. Guest

    Donovan Rebbechi <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > Phil M. wrote:
    >
    >> I purchased 2 pairs of Sugoi shorts (42K and spearhead)
    >> from www.backcountrystore.com. But I'm having trouble
    >> locating the TehniFine mesh tank in medium. Any ideas
    >> where I can find this online?
    >
    > I've seen some of the sporthill mesh gear in the stores
    > and it looks very good (especially the sensatech stuff).
    > They're still selling some of it cheap. Good mesh gear
    > should be easy to pick up.
    >
    > Cheers,

    I finally found the Sugoi tank at
    http://www.piermontbike.com. Also, if anyone likes Sugoi,
    they might want to check the 40% off sale at
    http://www.totaltri.com.

    Phil M.