Sports Asthma

EasyDoesIt

Apr 11, 2005
Hi all

I've been diagnosed with sports induced asthma which means some days i have trouble breathing while out cycling. Got an inhaler off the doc and it seems to have helped.

Cos of hols and a few other things i had to take 4 weeks off the bike, when i got back on the bike i took my inhaler before hand and went out and went pretty well considering i was off the bike for 4 weeks, went out the next day, forgot to take the inhaler and i thought i went well too. Then a week later i went out, took the inhaler before hand and had some serious asthma attacks but dont't know why. Anyone else have asthma and have something similiar happen to them even though they've taken their inhaler ?

EasyDoesIt said:
Hi all

I've been diagnosed with sports induced asthma which means some days i have trouble breathing while out cycling. Got an inhaler off the doc and it seems to have helped.

Cos of hols and a few other things i had to take 4 weeks off the bike, when i got back on the bike i took my inhaler before hand and went out and went pretty well considering i was off the bike for 4 weeks, went out the next day, forgot to take the inhaler and i thought i went well too. Then a week later i went out, took the inhaler before hand and had some serious asthma attacks but dont't know why. Anyone else have asthma and have something similiar happen to them even though they've taken their inhaler ?
Just out of curiosity - do you always take the same route or do the "good" rides take different routes to the one that you suffered your asthma attacks on? Just wondering if there's another trigger other than just exercise.

swampy1970 said:
Just out of curiosity - do you always take the same route or do the "good" rides take different routes to the one that you suffered your asthma attacks on? Just wondering if there's another trigger other than just exercise.
i'd take different routes but where i got my asthma attack, on a hill is the same hill i went up reasonably comfortably the previous week.

Ive had asthma my entire life though its been better in the last 4-5 years. I only need to use my inhaler about 3-4 weeks out of the year, and I can plot it on a calendar for the same few weeks in June every year. However, my episodes aren't limited to cycling. It just happens without any warning or build-up. I start taking my inhaler before and on rides (which can get cut short), and slowly start weening myself off of it until I can safely leave it home again. I usually have about 2-3 thousand kms in by that time of the year without any problems so under training isn't the issue. It is also not an allergy issue. I just get through it and feel that much better when its over.

LewisBricktop said:
Ive had asthma my entire life though its been better in the last 4-5 years. I only need to use my inhaler about 3-4 weeks out of the year, and I can plot it on a calendar for the same few weeks in June every year. However, my episodes aren't limited to cycling. It just happens without any warning or build-up. I start taking my inhaler before and on rides (which can get cut short), and slowly start weening myself off of it until I can safely leave it home again. I usually have about 2-3 thousand kms in by that time of the year without any problems so under training isn't the issue. It is also not an allergy issue. I just get through it and feel that much better when its over.
Well with me i was getting shortness of breath only when i was out on the bike but it was happening over a few months on and off, so went to the doc and he suggested the inhaler. Think it has improved things a bit but i'm still prone to the odd asthma attack. The last one i got was actually after i cycled by a cement factory so i'm thinking maybe the dust there set it off because i was fine before i got there.

As for getting through it, it's easy to say but last attack i got i got very light headed and was actually a bit worried. Having said that if u do ride through it do u find that u won't get another attack for the rest of the spin ?

LewisBricktop said:
If it happens the same time every year, it would suggest an allergy issue - you just haven't worked out what the trigger is. It might be moulds, spores, dust. You just need to look at what is prevalent during that time. Or, it could be related to something a local industry does at the same time each year like spraying or cleaning or maintenance etc etc.

having had asthma/bronchitis since very young, i can tell you what you should avoid: sudden changes in humidity/temperature. These will trigger an asthma attack. That's why I dont understand these olympic swimmers who say swimming cured their asthma! I find it hard to believe. Going from 95% humidity of the pool environment, to the outdoors, would knock me for six. So avoid airconditioning or minimise your exposure to it. Like going from an office building to the outdoors and vice-versa, the humidity change can set you off. Use your puffer when there is a humidity change.

I don't have asthma persay, but like you, the doctor said I had "exercise induced asthma". Whenever I would ride,I would then cough that night for over 5 hours, always "bringing up" snot. I tried the purple stuff, but didn't like it, so now I just live with it.

I have exercise induced asthma. Either you have it or not. If not then it is something else. I take a steroid inhaler(Asmanex) every day to reduce inflammation. When your lungs are inflamed then a trigger will more easily cause an attack. The trigger can be exercise or it can be an allergy, like pollen or animal dander or a million other things, including stress. So the key is to reduce inflammation in the lungs. I also take a 24 hour Singular pill the night before which also helps to reduce inflammation in a different way. Some people take Singular every day. In addition I take two Albuterol puffs about 20 minutes before riding.(On my weekend rides of 50+ miles usually with steep hills) It works much better than right before riding. All this seems like a lot but I am really only taking one medicine on a daily basis. On my shorter rides of 20 miles during the week I don't take anything.

Aussie Steve said:
having had asthma/bronchitis since very young, i can tell you what you should avoid: sudden changes in humidity/temperature. These will trigger an asthma attack. That's why I dont understand these olympic swimmers who say swimming cured their asthma! I find it hard to believe. Going from 95% humidity of the pool environment, to the outdoors, would knock me for six. So avoid airconditioning or minimise your exposure to it. Like going from an office building to the outdoors and vice-versa, the humidity change can set you off. Use your puffer when there is a humidity change.
It sounds like you have climate, or temperature induced asthma. Asthma is asthma. You either have it or you don't. But different things trigger flare ups in different people. For you, temperature/humidity change causes a flare up. For others, allergens. For others yet, exercise. For some, stress. For even others, illness. Some are blessed with only one trigger, while others have many triggers. So, your suggestion of avoiding temperature change might do absolutely nothing for the OP, as temperature may not even be a triggering factor for him or her.