Sports Drink Suggestions to try.

Jock

Guest
Hi all,
Have just got back into riding after (Quite) a few years away. I need
some suggestions for a sports drink because given how much I sweat I
think I need something more than water. I am particularly looking for
mix up drinks as I can't be bothered buying premixed stuff and I would
rather something I can tweak to suit my needs. Any and all suggestions
greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Jock

Jock said:
Hi all,
Have just got back into riding after (Quite) a few years away. I need
some suggestions for a sports drink because given how much I sweat I
think I need something more than water. I am particularly looking for
mix up drinks as I can't be bothered buying premixed stuff and I would
rather something I can tweak to suit my needs. Any and all suggestions
greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Jock

www.ais.org.au/nutrition/documents/SupSportsDrink07.pdf

(Warning: PDF Link)

Jock wrote:

> Have just got back into riding after (Quite) a few years away. I need
> some suggestions for a sports drink because given how much I sweat I
> think I need something more than water. I am particularly looking for
> mix up drinks as I can't be bothered buying premixed stuff and I would
> rather something I can tweak to suit my needs. Any and all suggestions
> greatly appreciated.

You're right when you say that you need something more than water. You
need to replenish the minerals/salts you loose.

I mix my own drink by diluting orange juice with tap water and adding a
pinch of salt or lo-salt. Vary the ratio juice to water depending on
your taste and your requirement for carbohydrates. For variation, I
sometimes use lemon squash or lime cordial instead. Again, you can tweak
the dilution to suite your needs.

I use lo-salt, which is 50% potassium chloride, because I read somewhere
that the potassium helps prevent muscle cramps.

You won't taste the salt in the drink, unless you add too much, in which
case it tastes vile.

Inspiration came from this website:
http://tinyurl.com/yrwjr6 [news.bbc.co.uk]

hth,
wabbitje

On Jan 27, 8:08 am, Christopher Turcksin <[email protected]> wrote:
> Jock wrote:
> > Have just got back into riding after (Quite) a few years away. I need
> > some suggestions for a sports drink because given how much I sweat I
> > think I need something more than water. I am particularly looking for
> > mix up drinks as I can't be bothered buying premixed stuff and I would
> > rather something I can tweak to suit my needs. Any and all suggestions
> > greatly appreciated.You're right when you say that you need something more than water. You

> need to replenish the minerals/salts you loose.
>
> I mix my own drink by diluting orange juice with tap water and adding a
> pinch of salt or lo-salt. Vary the ratio juice to water depending on
> your taste and your requirement for carbohydrates. For variation, I
> sometimes use lemon squash or lime cordial instead. Again, you can tweak
> the dilution to suite your needs.
>
> I use lo-salt, which is 50% potassium chloride, because I read somewhere
> that the potassium helps prevent muscle cramps.
>
> You won't taste the salt in the drink, unless you add too much, in which
> case it tastes vile.
>
> Inspiration came from this website:http://tinyurl.com/yrwjr6[news.bbc.co.uk]
>
> hth,
> wabbitje

The best value I've found is bottles of concentrated Staminade, in the
supermarket next to the powder.

Donga

I have bought a big bag of Powerade from Rebel Sport (they often have
them on sale), and poured it into a Tupperware dispenser.

I can make it up as strong or weak as I like........ Works out pretty
cheap as well. And I don't min dthe lemon-lime flavour....

Cheers,
Abby

Abby goes back to work on Monday ... ha ha ha ha ha ha !!!!!!:p :mad: :( :p :( :mad:

Your 5 week sojourn is now over, so suck ****! Don't fret though - it will live on in your mastercard statements for a couple of months :D :D :D :D

monsterman said:
Abby goes back to work on Monday ... ha ha ha ha ha ha !!!!!!:p :mad: :( :p :( :mad:

Your 5 week sojourn is now over, so suck ****! Don't fret though - it will live on in your mastercard statements for a couple of months :D :D :D :D

Good to see our public servants do have to attend their workplace now & again :p

Does this mean you're up for an LA ride again soon, Abby?

Asterope, Lotte & I will be gentle with you. Not. :D

DB

Glucodin powder is very cheap, but you have to add some salts and flavouring.
I get it from Priceline or Coles, but it's become harder to find at Coles lately

"Donga" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> On Jan 27, 8:08 am, Christopher Turcksin <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Jock wrote:
>> > Have just got back into riding after (Quite) a few years away. I need
>> > some suggestions for a sports drink because given how much I sweat I
>> > think I need something more than water. I am particularly looking for
>> > mix up drinks as I can't be bothered buying premixed stuff and I would
>> > rather something I can tweak to suit my needs. Any and all suggestions
>> > greatly appreciated.You're right when you say that you need something
>> > more than water. You

>> need to replenish the minerals/salts you loose.
>>
>> I mix my own drink by diluting orange juice with tap water and adding a
>> pinch of salt or lo-salt. Vary the ratio juice to water depending on
>> your taste and your requirement for carbohydrates. For variation, I
>> sometimes use lemon squash or lime cordial instead. Again, you can tweak
>> the dilution to suite your needs.
>>
>> I use lo-salt, which is 50% potassium chloride, because I read somewhere
>> that the potassium helps prevent muscle cramps.
>>
>> You won't taste the salt in the drink, unless you add too much, in which
>> case it tastes vile.
>>
>> Inspiration came from this
>> website:http://tinyurl.com/yrwjr6[news.bbc.co.uk]
>>
>> hth,
>> wabbitje

> The best value I've found is bottles of concentrated Staminade, in the
> supermarket next to the powder.
>
> Donga

I have been turned off staminade due to the artificial sweetner that they
use in it.

I use Gatorade powder at the rate of 1.5 scoops per bidon, sometimes I carry
1 bidon with just water in addition to the one with Gatorade.

531Aussie wrote:

> Glucodin powder is very cheap, but you have to add some salts and
> flavouring.
> I get it from Priceline or Coles, but it's become harder to find at
> Coles lately

Brewers sugar (maltodextrin and dextrose) gives you some
longer chain carbs as well. I like a blend of honey and
molasses (7:1) with maltodextrin, salt and water, nice and
thick like a gel. Mmmmmm.

Tamyka Bell wrote:
> 531Aussie wrote:
>> Glucodin powder is very cheap, but you have to add some salts and
>> flavouring.
>> I get it from Priceline or Coles, but it's become harder to find at
>> Coles lately

> Brewers sugar (maltodextrin and dextrose) gives you some
> longer chain carbs as well. I like a blend of honey and
> molasses (7:1) with maltodextrin, salt and water, nice and
> thick like a gel. Mmmmmm.

I mix maltodextrin with coca-cola then thin it out a bit. Add some
sports drinks for salt.

Friday

On Jan 26, 6:30 pm, Jock <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi all,
> Have just got back into riding after (Quite) a few years away. I need
> some suggestions for a sports drink because given how much I sweat I
> think I need something more than water. I am particularly looking for
> mix up drinks as I can't be bothered buying premixed stuff and I would
> rather something I can tweak to suit my needs. Any and all suggestions
> greatly appreciated.

This is what I use :

http://aboc.com.au/tips-and-hints/aboc-c4p-receipe/

Friday wrote:

> Tamyka Bell wrote:
> > 531Aussie wrote:
> >> Glucodin powder is very cheap, but you have to add some salts and
> >> flavouring.
> >> I get it from Priceline or Coles, but it's become harder to find at
> >> Coles lately

> > Brewers sugar (maltodextrin and dextrose) gives you some
> > longer chain carbs as well. I like a blend of honey and
> > molasses (7:1) with maltodextrin, salt and water, nice and
> > thick like a gel. Mmmmmm.

> I mix maltodextrin with coca-cola then thin it out a bit. Add some
> sports drinks for salt.
>
> Friday

I save coca cola for the wee hours of the morning when I've
been going all night. Although at Glasshouse the need for
hot tea kicked in way earlier. Mmmmm.

Tam*off in search of tea and food*

Tamyka Bell wrote:
> I save coca cola for the wee hours of the morning when I've
> been going all night. Although at Glasshouse the need for
> hot tea kicked in way earlier. Mmmmm.
>
> Tam*off in search of tea and food*

I got into using a complex sugar formulation called PolyJoule. We
bought it for our youngest when he decided he didn't want to be either
bottle-fed or breast-fed and had it to up his carb intake due to his
weight loss. We didn't get through the last tin of it so I'm dosing
about 3 tsp per bidon for my own use. Almost out of it now so I'm
looking for an alternative, so thanks for asking the question!

--
Bean

"I've got a bike
You can ride it if you like
It's got a basket
A bell that rings
And things to make it look good
I'd give it to you if I could
But I borrowed it" Pink Floyd

Remove "yourfinger" before replying

Boostland said:
"Donga" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

I have been turned off staminade due to the artificial sweetner that they
use in it.

I use Gatorade powder at the rate of 1.5 scoops per bidon, sometimes I carry
1 bidon with just water in addition to the one with Gatorade.
Endura sports drink is used by a number of mtb riders. It has magnesium to help prevent cramping. Staminade in the powder has mag, but not the liquid (or is it the other way around???).

However, Endura recommends only up to 1 litre a day. On longer rides I'll use Gatorade in the Camelbak, up to about 4 litres in a day for hard riding, plus some Endura pre and post ride.

Best to try different brands, as some people find that can't stomach some brands, but are ok with others.

Jock wrote:
> Hi all,
> Have just got back into riding after (Quite) a few years away. I need
> some suggestions for a sports drink because given how much I sweat I
> think I need something more than water. I am particularly looking for
> mix up drinks as I can't be bothered buying premixed stuff and I would
> rather something I can tweak to suit my needs. Any and all suggestions
> greatly appreciated.

Powdered Gatorade comes in large canisters, and is relatively inexpensive.

You know that it's the best, as it was developed at the University of
Florida, for the Gator football team, which just won the National
Championship for college football in the U.S., and the Gator basketball
team also won the national championship for college basketball. All due
to drinking Gatorade.

"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmG6N4V5dZQ"

SMS wrote:
> Jock wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> Have just got back into riding after (Quite) a few years away. I need
>> some suggestions for a sports drink because given how much I sweat I
>> think I need something more than water. I am particularly looking for
>> mix up drinks as I can't be bothered buying premixed stuff and I would
>> rather something I can tweak to suit my needs. Any and all suggestions
>> greatly appreciated.

> Powdered Gatorade comes in large canisters, and is relatively inexpensive.
>
> You know that it's the best, as it was developed at the University of
> Florida, for the Gator football team, which just won the National
> Championship for college football in the U.S., and the Gator basketball
> team also won the national championship for college basketball. All due
> to drinking Gatorade.
>
> "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmG6N4V5dZQ"

That was a long time ago, wouldn't there have been some advances since
then. Gatorade was the first but that doesn't make it the best. Also
cycling and basketball are two different sports, is Gatorade ok for cycling?

On Jan 30, 10:46 am, slaw <[email protected]>
wrote:
> Boostland Wrote:> "Donga" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >news:[email protected]...

> > I have been turned off staminade due to the artificial sweetner that
> > they
> > use in it.

> > I use Gatorade powder at the rate of 1.5 scoops per bidon, sometimes I
> > carry
> > 1 bidon with just water in addition to the one with Gatorade.Endura sports drink is used by a number of mtb riders. It has magnesium

> to help prevent cramping. Staminade in the powder has mag, but not the
> liquid (or is it the other way around???).

That's correct, the power has magnesium, the cordial does not.

I also use the Staminade powder.
I read somewhere (I'll look for the source tonight, it may have been a Chris Carmichael book, not sure) that fructose actually inhibits fluid absorption. It probably has other positive effects, but in terms of hydration, water is better than drinks with fructose. Apparently, that's why too much fruit will give you diarrhea.