Sports drink..

Discussion in 'Health Nutrition and Supplements' started by ninesky, Dec 13, 2003.

1. ninesky

ninesky New Member

Accelerade seems to be mainly compromised of maltodextrin, sucrose, fructose, and protein powder. If I had those four ingredients, what would be the optimum ratio and what's the theory behind it? I'd want to have consistent energy and don't want highs and lows in blood sugar. Thanks.

Tags:

2. dhk

dhk New Member

Believe your answer would be very individual, depending upon your own metabolic response and digestive system tolerance for the corn starch and sugars. You could start with say 30% each of maltodextrin, sucrose, and fructose, with 10% protein and see how that works.

Whatever blend you end up with, I've found it's important to sip the drink slowly as you ride for steady blood sugar. I used to drink a 16 or most of a 20 oz bottle of Gatorade at the mid-ride reststop, and wonder why I had a buzz/headache followed by lost of energy after 30 minutes! Found that sipping an oz or two every 5-10 minutes while riding works much better....a no brainer.

Dan

3. bike4ever

bike4ever New Member

I'm still a Gatorade user and haven't found anything that works better... However, it is all about metobolic rates and individual body chemistry and others may find other energy drinks better suited to their needs. Regardless of what you use, a slow constant intake will work much better than gulping down huge quantities at extended periods throughout a ride or workout... Avoid the "blast" which will cause the "buzz" followed by a loss of energy. If I'm going to be riding for 2 or 3 hours it works best to resupply every 15 or 20 minutes and if I'm feeling a little less energetic, a solid energy food like a Cliff bar every 35 to 40 minutes makes a huge difference... I also tank up with a high carb drink about 30 minutes prior to my ride and with a high protein drink about thirty minutes after the ride to help rebuild works well and makes recovery faster...

4. dhk

dhk New Member

Another well-accepted principal is to eat carbs for post-ride recovery. Within 20-30 minutes of completion, the "glycogen window", the body is primed to take in hi-glycemic carbs to restore the muscle gylcogen reserves. A small amount of protein along with carb is said to help the process.

I started this routine a couple of months ago, and it's made a real difference in my recovery for the next day's ride.

Dan

5. ffvelazquezh

ffvelazquezh New Member

Let me ask another related question : Due to my schedule job, I use to train very early in the morning. I start my daily ride at 5:00 AM for 50 kms in 2 hours. Maybe because this early training, I do not have the thirsty sensation, as a matter of fact, I do not carry with me any kind of beverages. When I come back, I use to drink some Orange/apple juice or something similar and my breakfast is quite normal, but that's all. My question is: Am i doing something wrong?? Do I have to drink some carb beverages even when I am not thirsty?? Will my performance be improved if I drink something during my ride??

6. dhk

dhk New Member

That's a good long daily ride to put in before the sun gets hot down there. From what I've read, 2 hours is about the limit for most of us before some kind of carbs are needed. But, that would depend on how hard you are riding.

I bet you've been riding a long time, and have trained yourself for good aerobic economy without needing water or carbs on the bike. Have you done much longer distances, ie, a century or double-century? I'd guess you would be good at those.

I always take water, but rarely take carb drinks or food unless I'm going on a tough workout ride with buddies, or riding much longer than 2 hours. Then, sipping the sugar drink does seem to help me quite a bit with my energy level towards the finish.

Dan

7. ffvelazquezh

ffvelazquezh New Member

!! YES, You are right !! I have been training for some years ago, and actually I use to make my longest ride on sundays with 120 kms (75 miles) in 4:40 hrs. In this ride I carry at least two litters of home-made energetic drink prepared with some standard gel diluted in orange/apple juice plus water, half to half, for eating I use to take some energetic bar. Lately, I have found better results using a camel back (maybe I am a cyclist dork), making easiest the sipping each 15-20 mins.
    But, again, this is only at the sunday rides. in middle of the week, I do not have the need to carry water or some drink in my daily training of 50 kms in 2:00 hours.

8. dhk

dhk New Member

That approach for the long rides sounds right. I'm jealous of your winter weather....sun, high of 30C every day, nice breeze off the Pacific Ocean. Just right for bike riding. y su inglés es muy bueno!

Dan

9. ffvelazquezh

ffvelazquezh New Member

You have described my training environment very well. I will only add the beautiful sights at the sunrise. It is so stimulating to train under these conditions. As you said, JUST RIGHT FOR BIKE RIDING.

THANKS FOR YOUR COMMENTS