sports drinks

sunnysang

Mar 31, 2007
hey guys, tommorow im going on about a 80 mile (maybe 100 depending on weather) ride (riding in about 75 degrees starting to 4 hours later, 95). How is this for taking along? 2 bottles of water, a 32 ounce bottle of blue powerade (240 cal), 2 coockies 'N cream cliff bars (240 cal each bar), and 1 bannana. Is this too much to take or is this fine?

That's about what I plan on taking for my 60 mile ride tomorrow in (hopefully) 60 degree temp. I won't carry all of the fluids, we'll stop and refill along the way. 95 degrees is pretty hot, I think the baseline for fluid consumption is 14-16oz/hour. Of course it's variable for everyone and for every condition, but I generally drink a bottle an hour. Banana's are tough to carry for any length of time in a jersey pocket. I can't predict what you will need, but for myself and a 100 mile ride, I would plan for (at least) 5 bottles of water, 3 or 4 cliff bars, 5 servings of gel. Of course it depends on how hard you ride as well, but better to have too much than not enough. I also plan on water stops along the way so all I have to carry is 2 bottles.