Sports Drinks

Aussie Steve

Nov 8, 2005
Probably done on here before... but on morning rides, when I drink 750 mls of powerade or gatorade, when I get to a certain spot where my 2 mates go into hyperspace, and normally I lose touch, with the sports drink in my body, I can always up the pace and stay with them. So the sports drink lets me (100% of the time) go into warp drive; without the sports drink, i always drop off.... the legs seem to be able to hold cadence of 100 with the sports drink. SO when they hear me behind them, they go "hey you must have drank gatorade this morn !!" Yep....

Aussie Steve said:
Probably done on here before... but on morning rides, when I drink 750 mls of powerade or gatorade, when I get to a certain spot where my 2 mates go into hyperspace, and normally I lose touch, with the sports drink in my body, I can always up the pace and stay with them. So the sports drink lets me (100% of the time) go into warp drive; without the sports drink, i always drop off.... the legs seem to be able to hold cadence of 100 with the sports drink. SO when they hear me behind them, they go "hey you must have drank gatorade this morn !!" Yep....
Does "that point" normally occour between 1hr 30 and 2hrs?

There are so many better drinks on the market than powerade and gatorade, but if it works for you and it gets you to drink enough then it's all good.

swampy1970 said:
Does "that point" normally occour between 1hr 30 and 2hrs?

There are so many better drinks on the market than powerade and gatorade, but if it works for you and it gets you to drink enough then it's all good.
what are some of the others you use?
i've tried "endurox" it seems ok but i still get hungry.
when i am really working hard i find it hard to stomach the electrolyte plus drinks.
the gatorade electrolytes only only seem to make the water taste better, not sure about my performance.

i've ordered some accelerade on the recs of friends.
is there a substantive difference between them? or is it merely having some calories?

dave

slowfoot said:
what are some of the others you use?
i've tried "endurox" it seems ok but i still get hungry.
when i am really working hard i find it hard to stomach the electrolyte plus drinks.
the gatorade electrolytes only only seem to make the water taste better, not sure about my performance.

i've ordered some accelerade on the recs of friends.
is there a substantive difference between them? or is it merely having some calories?

dave
You'll never be able to replace what you're using - so there's no point in trying to stuff a 1,000 Kcals an hour down your neck. You'll end up feeling bloated and possibly feel sick...

Personally, I dig Hammer Nutrition's Perpetuem. I find it easy to drink, it "sits well" in the stomach and doesn't make me feel bloated or sick even if I drink it all day in hot weather at altitude and I get about 300Kcals per regular bottle from it.

My personal all time favorite was an early version of Science in Sports' PSP22. You mixed it in relation to your bodyweight and it dissolved almost instantly. I could mix that to get almost 350Kcals a bottle and not feel any effects.

I dislike Accelerade - it gives me gas and if I drink more than a couple of bottles of that I end up with "the squirts"... Not something you want to discover 2,300ft up a hill, in 100F heat and whilst you "think" you hear some wee-beastie rustleing through the bushes.

I dislike Accelerade - it gives me gas and if I drink more than a couple of bottles of that I end up with "the squirts"... Not something you want to discover 2,300ft up a hill, in 100F heat and whilst you "think" you hear some wee-beastie rustleing through the bushes.[/QUOTE]YECH!
great imagery to start your day with!
thanks
dave

I've become a big fan of the EFS products. The fruit punch tastes really good, and it has a TON of salt and electrolytes in it. (I tend to lose a lot when I sweat.) Since switching, I find that I can take a flyer on the last hill of a long ride without the legs cramping. The gel has so much salt that it actually burns a little bit initially, but again, no GI issues. Between the gel and the fluid, it's pretty easy to take down 300 plus calls per hour. This is such an individual thing, though, that I think you have to experiment.

Other things that work well for me are oatmeal raisin kids granola bars, and pop tarts. YMMV