Sports Instruments HRM

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by splatt77, Sep 20, 2004.

1. splatt77

splatt77 New Member

Hi,

Does anyone here have any experience with the Sports instruments HRM's?

Im currently looking at getting a HRM and am undecided whether or not to get a polar S410 or the SI Pro 9 (also considering Timex but thats another storey). They seem similar in ability (appart from the SI records more files) however the polar is more expensive. Ive never heard or SI and cant really find any reviews on the net, their website doesnt supply the greatest amount of info either.

Any advice gratefully recieved

Simon

Tags:

2. KakenBetaal

KakenBetaal New Member

I'd recommend the Polar - it may cost more but is a quality product that works very well. In fact I'd recommend you get the s520 instead since it works with speed and cadence units, and from an analysis POV you get all the data in one place to look at your training.

3. splatt77

splatt77 New Member

Thanks for that,

I'd considered getting one of the all in one Polar units ( S720i) however after reading many varied reviews on forums and talking to a few people in bike shops, decided not to. I settled on letting a cycle computer (probably Cateye Astrale 8 or CD300DW) take care of the cycling functions and a HRM do the rest. Ive been riding MTB for years however fancied a change and am starting training for triathlons. Hence the HRM wont primarily be used for cycling it will also be used for running and other sports, hence i dont mind if it doesnt have the cycling functions. Also having tried on the Cycling S seriese polar watches i find them a littlr clumbersome and ugly. the S410 is only slightly smaller i know but id say its about as big as id like to go.

Si

4. KakenBetaal

KakenBetaal New Member

Funnily enough it's the s725 I have, absolutely love it. I guess it works so well for me because one of my main priorities is the integration of exercise data. That's because I like and use the Polar training software a lot to analyse my training and see how and why I went wrong from my training plan. Having a bunch of cycling data all entered automatically during the upload works well for me.

5. malcomm

malcomm New Member

I have a Pro 9 and love it.
    Does everything I need very intuitively - easy to use.
    I'm in Australia where there is no agent for SI. The hrm crapped out and I had to post it back to USA for repair. Had a replacement within 5 days no questions asked. All repairs and warranty stuff is handled by the importers and not the shops so you aren't being stuffed around by shop staff.
    Fantastic service and a damn good monitor.
    You can also change the SI batteries yourself, most Polars you can't.