Sports writer researching nutrition article

Greg Connors

Guest
I am a sports writer for the daily newspaper in Buffalo, N.Y. I am researching a story on sports
nutrition, and I am interested in hearing from anyone who is familiar with any cutting-edge
approaches to nutrition and sports performance. I find the best-selling sports nutrition books
mostly recommend the FDA food pyramid, but how does the Atkins diet approach fit in for athletes? Or
are there other new approaches worth exploring? I'd appreciate direct e-mail replies to:
[email protected]. My deadline is the end of this week, May 30, 2003. Thanks.

>From: [email protected] (Greg Connors)

>I am a sports writer for the daily newspaper in Buffalo, N.Y. I am researching a story on sports
>nutrition, and I am interested in hearing from anyone who is familiar with any cutting-edge
>approaches to nutrition and sports performance. I find the best-selling sports nutrition books
>mostly recommend the FDA food pyramid<<

No they don't. Are you on crack?

During an interview with Dr. Atkins on Larry King, a caller called in questioning the atkins
approach, and made the point about marathon runners eating high carb diets, and are very lean. Dr.
Atkins replied that with the amount of training world class marathoners carry out, they need all the
carbs. He also said normal people could eat up to 100 or more grams of carbs a day based on their
level of activity, after they have reached their preferred weight.

The Larry King Interview might be a potential source of research.

news:[email protected]...

"Jim Gosse" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> During an interview with Dr. Atkins on Larry King, a caller called in questioning the atkins
> approach, and made the point about marathon runners eating high carb diets, and are very lean. Dr.
> Atkins replied that with
the
> amount of training world class marathoners carry out, they need all the carbs. He also said normal
> people could eat up to 100 or more grams of
carbs
> a day based on their level of activity, after they have reached their preferred weight.
>
> The Larry King Interview might be a potential source of research.
>

> "Greg Connors" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > I am a sports writer for the daily newspaper in Buffalo, N.Y. I am researching a story on sports
> > nutrition, and I am interested in hearing from anyone who is familiar with any cutting-edge
> > approaches to nutrition and sports performance. I find the best-selling sports nutrition books
> > mostly recommend the FDA food pyramid, but how does the Atkins diet approach fit in for
> > athletes? Or are there other new approaches worth exploring? I'd appreciate direct e-mail
> > replies to: [email protected]. My deadline is the end of this week, May 30, 2003. Thanks.

You are asking a very complex question. Is the "athlete" recreational or professional? Is the
athlete primarily in an aerobic or non-aerobic sport? Try posting this question to
alt.support.diet.low-carb and misc.fitness.weights. Search for "targeted ketogenic diet" (TKD) and
"cyclic ketogenic diet" (CKD) and "the ketogenic diet" and "lyle mcdonald".

Personally, I'm doing a TKD, but then I only work out about 3-5 hours a week.

--
Bob ctviggen at rcn dot com

Greg Connors wrote:

> I am a sports writer for the daily newspaper in Buffalo, N.Y. I am researching a story on sports
> nutrition, and I am interested in hearing from anyone who is familiar with any cutting-edge
> approaches to nutrition and sports performance. I find the best-selling sports nutrition books
> mostly recommend the FDA food pyramid, but how does the Atkins diet approach fit in for athletes?
> Or are there other new approaches worth exploring? I'd appreciate direct e-mail replies to:
> [email protected]. My deadline is the end of this week, May 30, 2003. Thanks.

If you think that the pyramid comes from the FDA and don't know how Adkins diets fit in with
athletes, I'd suggest you bypass this deadline and do a lot more reading.

"pbeyer" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> Greg Connors wrote:
>
> > I am a sports writer for the daily newspaper in Buffalo, N.Y. I am researching a story on sports
> > nutrition, and I am interested in hearing from anyone who is familiar with any cutting-edge
> > approaches to nutrition and sports performance. I find the best-selling sports nutrition books
> > mostly recommend the FDA food pyramid, but how does the Atkins diet approach fit in for
> > athletes? Or are there other new approaches worth exploring? I'd appreciate direct e-mail
> > replies to: [email protected]. My deadline is the end of this week, May 30, 2003. Thanks.
>
> If you think that the pyramid comes from the FDA and don't know how Adkins diets fit in with
> athletes, I'd suggest you bypass this deadline and do a lot more reading.

This is true, as it's the USDA that recommends the food pyramid. For an article about "rebuilding"
the food pyramid, see:

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?articleID=0007C5B6-7152-1DF6-9733809EC588EE DF

--
Bob ctviggen at rcn dot com