Sporty but tough hybrid?

aboylikedave

Jul 16, 2007
I've been riding a Trek 7300 hybrid for many years and want to replace it. It's for urban use, and 8 mile return journey. I'm looking at 300-350 GBP

I've tried a Trek 7.3FX which was great - I was worried the thinner rims would make it uncomfortable, not least as I tend to ride through pot holes, but it was great.

However, the riding position was too upright for me, I can imagine wanting to get some power through my legs and wanting a more forward position.

My LBS however said that the Specialized Sirrus would not have the durability or stregnth of the TRek as it was more a road bike than a hybrid.

So - are there any fast hybrids ideally with thinner 700 rims with a more agressive riding position but which also have the hybrid sturdiness to make it suitable for a tough urban commute? Basically something like a 7.3FX but with a less compact geometry?

Cheers

aboylikedave said:
My LBS however said that the Specialized Sirrus would not have the durability or stregnth of the TRek as it was more a road bike than a hybrid.
I'm not sure I'd agree with your LBS. I have a 5 year old Sirrus that's holding up very well. I did a lot of road riding on it the first two years I had it. After getting a real road bike, I've reserved the Sirrus for the trainer and for gravel trails. No problems so far...