Sporty commuter under US$1000

Discussion in 'Bike buying advice' started by mrksf, Jan 4, 2013.

1. mrksf

mrksf New Member

I'm having trouble finding a road bike in my budget with a classic diamond squared frame, 700c, and multiple gears for city commuting. I prefer steel. I get recommendations to go hybrid, but I would prefer something with a little more aggressive geometry. At the same time I would like fenders + a front rack.

My budget is around US$700-$800. I'm flexible but won't go over a grand. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Tags:

2. maydog

maydog Well-Known Member

Why do you want steel? In this price range most things will be aluminum - but that is OK really. I just visited a few popular manufacturer's websites and there are many options. You are probably looking for what they may classify as an Urban, cyclocross or touring bike.

3. vspa

vspa Active Member

for example the TREK 7.2 FX Disc, retailed at 600 usd., disc brakes, eyelets for rack and fenders, slopping geometry, you could buy later on road handlebars and road shifters/levers to convert it into a road bike commuter, for commuting the flat bar is ok, it is really a question of taste, but if you are set on a road bike then you might want to search for other brands and other options,

4. qdc15

qdc15 Member

Jasmis Bosanova
    http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/thebikes/road/aurora/12_bosanova.html

5. vspa

vspa Active Member

6. alfeng

alfeng Well-Known Member

FWIW. Unless things have changed (they have, BTW, but only on the upper end of the particular model line ...), then the base model JAMIS CODA has a steel frame & can certainly be used as the basis for a commuter ...

[​IMG]

• the Coda line of bikes from earlier years had a more horizontal top tube than the pictured bike ...
    • iterations with larger frames will undoubtedly have a slightly more horizontal top tube ...
    • the base model CODA is the one which 'I' would possibly (¿?) choose because it would allow me the most options for MY Dollars spent on any future component changes ...
    • for example, if I didn't want to ride it as a FLAT BAR bike then I could swap out to a set of DROP handlebars (and tape/etc.) + a set of 10-speed Campagnolo shifters for under $200 without-breaking-a-sweat if components were bought on eBay ...
    • the next two models up have a CF fork, and the most expensive model now costs less than $1000 & has disc brakes (of course, disc brakes are a-good-thing for people who plan to commute in wet weather)

The MSRP of the base model CODA is listed as $540 ... it will cost less for NOS inventory sitting on the showroom floor, of course, if you can find one which has the frame size you want ...

BTW. In the past, I think that there were five variants instead of three & the more expensive variants in the CODA model line had aluminum frames.

7. danfoz

danfoz Well-Known Member

http://www.masibikes.com/bikes/steel/speciale-strade-2013

[​IMG]

$900
    Steel
    Sporty
    Dual eyelets on rear for fenders and rack (which could be had for the diff under $1k).
    I'd go for a rear rack instead of a handlebar/front rack, keeps the steering light.
    There are other bikes I'd may prefer but this one meets the criteria.
    I rode one of their other 'new' steel bikes for awhile, the Premio, and it was pretty nice.

8. mrksf

mrksf New Member

Interesting options guys. What bikes would you prefer, Danfoz?

9. danfoz

danfoz Well-Known Member

To be honest there is nothing that would hold me back from the Masi. With some decent wheels it could even be raced entry level if you had the legs.

For steel OEM? I like the Jamis Eclipse and the Masi Gran Criterium, both a little outside the budget.

Edit: there's also the Bianchi Brava in that range: http://www.bianchiusa.com/bikes/road/steel/brava/ (looks like just has single rear eyelets). Their lower priced Campione has DT shifters which although cool and retro, are easily surpassed functionally by brifters. Btw, there may be something in the alu market in this range that interests you, it really opens up the selection quite a bit.