Spot the mistake.

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Zoom, Aug 18, 2005.

  1. Zoom

    Zoom Guest

    http://tinyurl.com/9ckq7

    Mistake number one.
    If she was a lawyer she could have fiddled the system.

    Mistake number two.
    Should should have hit a cyclist. Cyclists don't count as human in the
    eyes of the law.

    Zoom

    Tags:

  2. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963

    Ooooo, you're *so* cynical about this. Really can't blame you though..

    Over at Wheels of Justice, we're fiddling around with getting a national strategy together, cyclist and non-cyclist contributions welcome, read more here...
    Aus Wheels of Justice Forum
    Bicycle Justice blog
    WoJ yahoogroup

  3. SteveA

    SteveA New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2004
    Messages:
    1,309
    I find the links with the police and the quality of the investigation that was done or not done to be most deserving of cynicism and concern.

    SteveA

  4. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    You're entitled to your POV, but public perception is quite something else. Further history to this case here:
    http://melbourne.indymedia.org/news/2004/11/82340.php
    Unfortunately there's the usual peanut gallery lurking in the comments to the IM story, but several valid remarks as well.

  5. SteveA

    SteveA New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2004
    Messages:
    1,309
    My comment was directed at the McGee case rather than the Melb motorcyclist who was killed by the drunk driver, but reading some of the comments left on indymedia worries me seriously about driver attitudes.

    SteveA.

  6. hemyd

    hemyd Guest

    "Zoom" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > http://tinyurl.com/9ckq7
    >
    > Mistake number one.
    > If she was a lawyer she could have fiddled the system.
    >
    > Mistake number two.
    > Should should have hit a cyclist. Cyclists don't count as human in the
    > eyes of the law.
    >
    > Zoom

    If she had hit a cyclist, the cyclist would have been considered as having
    provoked her - by being there!

    Henry.

  7. "Zoom" wrote:

    > http://tinyurl.com/9ckq7
    >
    > Mistake number one.
    > If she was a lawyer she could have fiddled the system.
    >
    > Mistake number two.
    > Should should have hit a cyclist. Cyclists don't count as human in the
    > eyes of the law.

    My thoughts exactly when I heard about this one. Seems that in this legal
    system if you don't have a motor underneath you, you are a second class
    citizen, just asking to be run off the road.

    A friend of mine is still waiting to see if the police or OH & S are going
    to do anything to prosecute the company director who ordered his employee to
    drive a truck with no brakes, which then failed to stop at traffic lights,
    running through a bus shelter where his wife was reading her mail.

    :mad

    Cheers
    Peter

  8. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963

    Yes, your friend (sorry, his name escapes me at the moment) has mentioned this previously on a.b. Can't ever comprehend a situation like that. :( People interstate may not be aware that the Melanie Edwards case provoked protests in Victoria last year (refer to IM article in this thread), also refer to WoJ forum for further links.