Spot the year

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Tony Raven, Jun 13, 2004.

  1. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Just for fun I took the graphs of head injury rates amongst cyclists in
    Western Australia and New Zealand and removed all traces of dates etc. I've
    posted them at http://www.cycling.raven-family.com/Helmet%20Graphs.jpg

    Without the hints on the original graphs, can you spot when
    the mandatory helmet law was introduced? Answers in ticks
    from the left on a postcard without cheating and looking up
    the originals.

    Thought it would make a good challenge for the Swampmonster
    to ask her to point it out if the opportunity ever arose.

    Tony

    Tags:

  2. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 21:53:38 +0100, "Tony Raven"
    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    <[email protected]>:

    >Just for fun I took the graphs of head injury rates amongst
    >cyclists in Western Australia and New Zealand and removed
    >all traces of dates etc. I've posted them at http://www.cycling.raven-
    >family.com/Helmet%20Graphs.jpg

    Yup. Been there, done that. The really striking thing is
    that the Australian weareing rate apparnetly went from
    around 30% to around 80% in the three years up to and
    including compulsion. Can you see any justification for 90%,
    88%, 85% or 69% efficacy in that chart?

    Guy
    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

  3. James Annan

    James Annan Guest

    Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

    > Yup. Been there, done that. The really striking thing is
    > that the Australian weareing rate apparnetly went from
    > around 30% to around 80% in the three years up to and
    > including compulsion. Can you see any justification for
    > 90%, 88%, 85% or 69% efficacy in that chart?

    3214%, obviously.

    James

  4. On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 21:53:38 +0100, Tony Raven wrote:

    > Just for fun I took the graphs of head injury rates
    > amongst cyclists in Western Australia and New Zealand and
    > removed all traces of dates etc. I've posted them at http://www.cycling.raven-
    > family.com/Helmet%20Graphs.jpg
    >
    > Without the hints on the original graphs, can you spot
    > when the mandatory helmet law was introduced? Answers in
    > ticks from the left on a postcard without cheating and
    > looking up the originals.

    Here's a spoiler for the australian graph showing the
    percentage of crashes that result in a head-injury:

    http://agbu.une.edu.au/~drobinso/ozdoc.html

    (It looks similar so I assume it's where you got your graph
    from, Tony?)

    The answer being that helmet compulsion was introduced 2
    ticks from the RHS, just before pedestrian head injuries
    fall and cyclist head-injuries rise.

    AC

  5. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

  6. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
    > anonymous coward wrote:
    >
    >> http://agbu.une.edu.au/~drobinso/ozdoc.html
    >
    > Obviously those are Cook & Sheikh helmets they are wearing
    > - the cycle helmets have protected the pedestrians very
    > well indeed!

    I think, in dedication to their cause, C&S should wear
    enough helmets to protect all of us. After all their first
    priority is safety and they can be far more certain that
    people will be safe that way than trust to the vagaries of
    whether individual do or don't wear helmets. ;-0

    Tony