Spotted in an LBS today

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Huw Pritchard, May 26, 2003.

  1. Tags:

  2. crazy6r54

    crazy6r54 Guest

    I can tell your the other side of the pond. Because the Smartbar didn't go over very well in the
    USA. Or even Srams 3.0 and 4.0 derailleurs. All you can get over here are 5.0 , 7.0 , 9.0,9.0 SL,
    and the newest one X.0.

    Fire up MTB 03

  3. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    Huw Pritchard wrote:
    > If your car has a dashboard, shouldn't your bike have one too? SRAM present the Smartbar, weighing
    > in at twice the weight of the rest of your bike, and selling for a mere £240, how can you be
    > without one?
    >
    > http://www.sram.com/product/pavement/smartbar/naked_smartbar.asp
    >
    > Huw "Brum, brummmmmm" Pritchard

    Neeeeeeeeeeed!

  4. Nelson Binch

    Nelson Binch Guest

    "Huw Pritchard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...
    | If your car has a dashboard, shouldn't your bike have one too? SRAM present the Smartbar, weighing
    | in at twice the weight of the rest of your bike, and selling for a mere £240, how can you be
    | without one?
    |
    | http://www.sram.com/product/pavement/smartbar/naked_smartbar.asp

    Several years ago when this bit of garbage was announced, we passed the trade magazine around the
    shop and had a really good laugh. Amazing that if you consider the Hybrid market was a disaster
    (excepting 26" wheeled "comfort" bikes) that this think was ever even considered.

    Nobody EVER asked us for one of these.

    ---
    http://intergalax.com

    Release Date: 5/19/2003

  5. Amerigo

    Amerigo Guest

  6. > Several years ago when this bit of garbage was announced, we passed the trade magazine around the
    > shop and had a really good laugh. Amazing that if you consider the Hybrid market was a disaster
    > (excepting 26" wheeled "comfort" bikes) that this think was ever even considered.
    >
    > Nobody EVER asked us for one of these.

    Had a SRAM rep ask me if I had one yet. Does that count?

    --
    _________________________

  7. On Mon, 26 May 2003 16:15:34 -0400, "Nelson Binch" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Amazing that if you consider the Hybrid market was a disaster (excepting 26" wheeled "comfort"
    > bikes) that this think was ever even considered.

    My shop sells plenty of 700c wheeled hybrids. Don't tell our customers the "market is a
    disaster". <G>

    Barry

  8. On Mon, 26 May 2003 18:07:47 -0400, ClydesdaleMTB did issue forth:

    >> it sucks it is made of plastic
    >
    > Gianni?

    Do keep up. We established this some time ago.

    Although having looked at the Smartbar, I must say that for once I'm inclined to agree on the
    shitness of this particular item.

    Huw "SRAM Smartbar is made of plastic, ah ah death to you and your hybrid" Pritchard

  9. Carla A-G

    Carla A-G Guest

    "Huw Pritchard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...
    > If your car has a dashboard, shouldn't your bike have one too? SRAM present the Smartbar, weighing
    > in at twice the weight of the rest of your bike, and selling for a mere £240, how can you be
    > without one?
    >
    > http://www.sram.com/product/pavement/smartbar/naked_smartbar.asp

    We saw this monstrosity at the TO Bike Show a few years back when they demo'd it. It got quite
    the giggle.

    - CA-G

    Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

  10. Andy Chequer

    Andy Chequer Guest

    "amerigo" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "Huw Pritchard" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    > news:p[email protected]...
    > > If your car has a dashboard, shouldn't your bike have one too? SRAM present the Smartbar,
    > > weighing in at twice the weight of the rest of
    your
    > > bike, and selling for a mere £240, how can you be without one?
    > >
    > > http://www.sram.com/product/pavement/smartbar/naked_smartbar.asp
    > >
    > > Huw "Brum, brummmmmm" Pritchard
    >
    > it sucks it is made of plastic

    Nope. It's almost entirely made of aluminium. And it weighs a ton.

    Andy Chequer

  11. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

  12. Westie

    Westie Guest

  13. Peter R .

    Peter R . Guest

    On Mon, 26 May 2003 18:47:35 +0100, "Huw Pritchard" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >If your car has a dashboard, shouldn't your bike have one too? SRAM present the Smartbar, weighing
    >in at twice the weight of the rest of your bike, and selling for a mere £240, how can you be
    >without one?
    >
    >http://www.sram.com/product/pavement/smartbar/naked_smartbar.asp
    >
    >Huw "Brum, brummmmmm" Pritchard

    Coolness: the handlebar becomes an ergonomic, intuitive, ultra-integrated control system

    Yeah, right.

    Oh look ! A squadron of pigs right over A-MB

    Peter R.

  14. Gyp

    Gyp Guest

  15. > > Trick 2: ride in front of V-brake sucker and speed up as you approach turn, luring said sucker
    > > into a false sense of security. Slam the front disc hard, let go, easily make the turn and
    > > listen to the carnage behind you.....hehehe...my favorite.
    > >

    > wouldn't work, i'd just use You as a burm and you go highside.

    Hence the tacoed rear wheels I mentioned before, except they used me as a wall and went highside, of
    the handlebars.
    > as i'v said as long as the brakes can lock the wheels it is what *tires* you have that matter not
    > the type of brake - of course you need to be able to ride.

    I had a set of Speed dials set in the highest leverage position, they could lock both wheels with
    one finger, couldn't stop the bike worth a damn. The first time I rode them I tried for about 100ft
    to stop on wet grass until I ran out of field and crashed. Locking the wheel is a stupid thing to do
    and brakes that allow you to do nothing but lock the wheel are about as useful as a hockey stick in
    the spokes.
    --
    _________________________

  16. Loki

    Loki New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 9, 2003
    Does it have indicators? I want indicators! *click click click..*

  17. > you consider the Hybrid market was a disaster (excepting 26" wheeled "comfort" bikes) that this
    > think was ever even considered.

    More than every second new bike I see around here is a 28" wheeled hybrid. Now the new thing are the
    so called "fitness-hybrids" with wheels and some componentry from roadbikes and a straight
    handlebar. Like this one: http://www.merida.com/db_data/bikes/750/speedert5.jpg I guess the
    hybrid-market wasn't a disaster everywhere...;)

    Juho Finland

  18. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    > > you consider the Hybrid market was a disaster (excepting 26" wheeled "comfort" bikes) that this
    > > think was ever even considered.
    >
    > More than every second new bike I see around here is a 28" wheeled hybrid. Now the new thing are
    > the so called "fitness-hybrids" with wheels and some componentry from roadbikes and a straight
    > handlebar. Like this one: http://www.merida.com/db_data/bikes/750/speedert5.jpg I guess the
    > hybrid-market wasn't a disaster everywhere...;)
    >
    > Juho Finland

    The Hybrid/coaster bike and electric bike markets are supposed to be the fastest growing segments
    in bicycles right now. Personally I don't do anything to help that trend because I'm a mountian
    bike bigot.
    --

  19. > Does it have indicators? I want indicators! *click click click..*

    :D

    Small Black Dog