Spotted on another forum...

Headless Ned

May 21, 2014
Hi guys,

Not posted on here before and I've only just taken up riding again.

I just thought I'd share this link - http://recombu.com/cars/articles/features/9-reasons-motorists-hate-cyclists

Is this really a widespread attitude? I know the piece is written for comedy effect, but do motorists really hate cyclists? I can't say I've ever had any negative experiences, but then I don't live in a big city or anything.

I just wondered what the forum's opinion would be on this?

Many, MANY motorist absolutely despise cyclists. A couple/three reasons listed in the article are spot on as to 'why'.

Welcome back to cycling, Ned. Ride long and ride safely.

It's a mostly valid list. Although, I think #4 is wrong a good portion of the time, at least for me. When I am stopped at a traffic light, I take the lane instead of squeezing in to the right of the line of cars where the texting bimbo three cars back can't see me. When the light turns green, I get after it, and get through the intersection without holding up traffic (often staying on the bumper of the car in front of me), then I move to the right and settle into my pace. Zero to about 15 MPH, I can keep up with a normally accelerating car, but not a lead-foot.

I disagree with only number 4 as well, obviously the writer doesn't prescribe to taking the lane which is safer and legal.