Spotted today

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Simon Mason, Jan 26, 2003.

  1. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    On the A19 between Selby and York, some berk on a recumbent, cycling in torrential rain in the
    middle of the single carriageway. He was closely followed by a line of cars stretching back at least
    half a mile who were not best pleased at having to travel at 15 mph !

  2. "Simon Mason" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > On the A19 between Selby and York, some berk on a recumbent, cycling in torrential rain in the
    > middle of the single carriageway. He was closely followed by a line of cars stretching back at
    > least half a mile who were
    not
    > best pleased at having to travel at 15 mph !

    Could he have safely cycled further to the left? Quite often there is a lot of standing water near
    the edge of the carriageway, which can severely reduce visibility when flung into your face by your
    own wheels.

  3. Tim Cain

    Tim Cain Guest

    "Adrian Boliston" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:aunj2g$8oha4$[email protected]...
    > "Simon Mason" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    > > On the A19 between Selby and York, some berk on a recumbent, cycling in torrential rain in the
    > > middle of the single carriageway. He was closely followed by a line of cars stretching back at
    > > least half a mile who were
    > not
    > > best pleased at having to travel at 15 mph !
    >
    > Could he have safely cycled further to the left? Quite often there is a
    lot
    > of standing water near the edge of the carriageway, which can severely reduce visibility when
    > flung into your face by your own wheels.

    Isn't that what mudguards are supposed to deal with?

    Tim.

  4. In article <[email protected]>, Simon Mason wrote:
    > On the A19 between Selby and York, some berk on a recumbent, cycling in torrential rain in the
    > middle of the single carriageway. He was closely followed by a line of cars stretching back at
    > least half a mile who were not best pleased at having to travel at 15 mph !

    Be careful, that berk on the recumbent may be a contributor to this newsgroup. On the other hand, if
    the machine was being riding along the middle of the single carriageway as you state then I would be
    more concerned about the oncoming traffic.

    Gary

    --

    The email address is for newsgroups purposes only and therefore unlikely to be read.

    For contact via email use my real name with an underscore separator at the domain of CompuServe.

  5. In article <[email protected]>, Peter B wrote:
    > We once bought a German tandem that came complete with dynamo and mudguards, it was explained that
    > these were legal requirements for the German market, don't know if that's still true.

    Bicycles over a certain weight [1] must carry guards and lights in Germany. In the UK, laws relating
    to reflectors on new bicycles do not apply to non-solo machines - spot the lack of front reflectors
    on off-the-shelf tandems.

    [1] this enables racing cycles to be excluded.

    Gary

    --

  6. "Gary Knighton" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>, Peter B wrote:
    > > We once bought a German tandem that came complete with dynamo and
    mudguards,
    > > it was explained that these were legal requirements for the German
    market,
    > > don't know if that's still true.
    > >

    > Bicycles over a certain weight [1] must carry guards and lights in
    Germany.
    > In the UK, laws relating to reflectors on new bicycles do not apply to non-solo machines - spot
    > the lack of front reflectors on off-the-shelf tandems.
    >
    > [1] this enables racing cycles to be excluded.
    >
    > Gary

    Not just lights but dynamo-powered lights. They seem to think that fading dynamo light is better
    than the risk associated with someone forgetting to take spare batteries.

  7. In article <[email protected]>, Michael MacClancy wrote:
    > Not just lights but dynamo-powered lights.

    True.

    > They seem to think that fading dynamo light is better than the risk associated with someone
    > forgetting to take spare batteries.

    Why should a dynamo fade, unless riding consistently slowly. The newer lights do not fade the
    instant the generator stops rotating. I've often been told that my lights are on (by well meaning
    people) when parking the bike, to which I smugly respond that they don't switch off and there is
    no battery.

    Gary

    --

    The email address is for newsgroups purposes only and therefore unlikely to be read.

    For contact via email use my real name with an underscore separator at the domain of CompuServe.

  8. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    Gary Knighton wrote:

    > Why should a dynamo fade, unless riding consistently slowly. The newer lights do not fade the
    > instant the generator stops rotating. I've often been told that my lights are on (by well meaning
    > people) when parking the bike, to which I smugly respond that they don't switch off and there is
    > no battery.

    And I'm about to find out how good the very best modern dynamos are because... my new SON has
    arrived!!! I can barely contain my excitement :)

    I bet it's better than the Nexus on my tourer.

    --
    Guy
    ===

  9. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...

    > And I'm about to find out how good the very best modern dynamos are because... my new SON has
    > arrived!!! I can barely contain my excitement :)

    Guy, it's just a lighting system. Calm down or you'll be sick again. Remember what happened when the
    reallite arrived.

    Colin ;-) it's only envy

  10. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    Colin Blackburn wrote:

    >> And I'm about to find out how good the very best modern dynamos are because... my new SON has
    >> arrived!!! I can barely contain my excitement :)

    > Guy, it's just a lighting system. Calm down or you'll be sick again. Remember what happened when
    > the reallite arrived.

    Heh! Peter (6) has just been told that he can run and jump and bounce and so on, after an eye injury
    earlier in the year, and bouncing is what he's doing. I know where he gets it from :)

    --
    Guy
    ===

  11. In article <[email protected]>, You know? Just zis Guy wrote:
    > And I'm about to find out how good the very best modern dynamos are because... my new SON has
    > arrived!!! I can barely contain my excitement :)
    >
    > I bet it's better than the Nexus on my tourer.

    So long as it get standlights rather than the stop and be invisible type light then you will be
    well away.

    Gary

    --

    The email address is for newsgroups purposes only and therefore unlikely to be read.

    For contact via email use my real name with an underscore separator at the domain of CompuServe.

  12. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    Gary Knighton wrote:

    >> And I'm about to find out how good the very best modern dynamos are because... my new SON has
    >> arrived!!! I can barely contain my excitement :)

    > So long as it get standlights rather than the stop and be invisible type light then you will be
    > well away.

    Of course - as well as a secondary, backup lamp at each end of the bike, plus some additional
    lights, a flag, and about five square metres of reflective tape. And a head torch. And reflective
    arm and leg bands. I'm not giving the clueless gits any chance of claiming they didn't see me.

    --
    Guy
    ===