Spotting for Alcatraz swim

Discussion in 'Triathlon' started by James Kojo, May 27, 2003.

  1. James Kojo

    James Kojo Guest

    Does anyone have any advice in terms of spotting on the alcatraz swim for tri-california's Alcatraz
    triathlon?

    I've done the swim before, but it ended in aquatic park, so I can't use the same landmarks as I did
    before. I think the water exit is a bit west of aquatic park. Are there any tall buildings or towers
    that make for a good point during the swim, assuming a slack tide?

    Thanks,

    James

    Tags:

  2. Gwydion

    Gwydion Guest

    Well, a lot depends on the tides, your swimming sped and the conditions the day of the race, so take
    anything you hear with a grain of salt. The Fort Mason buildings (to the North of Aquatic Park) are
    pretty easy to see unless it's really foggy. After you get 1/2 to 2/3 of the way in, you will be
    able to see a red tile roof on a building at the yacht club. I haven't done the Alcatraz Tri, but
    the Alcatraz Challenge (a swim-run) does this swim. They start at Alcatraz and time it so that there
    is a north-bound current, and in those conditions aiming at Fort Mason for the 1st half and the St.
    Francis Yacht Club for the remainder works well for a 30-35 minute swim. But if the current or the
    starting point is different, you'll have to adjust based on the conditions.

    James Kojo wrote:

    > Does anyone have any advice in terms of spotting on the alcatraz swim for tri-california's
    > Alcatraz triathlon?
    >
    > I've done the swim before, but it ended in aquatic park, so I can't use the same landmarks as I
    > did before. I think the water exit is a bit west of aquatic park. Are there any tall buildings or
    > towers that make for a good point during the swim, assuming a slack tide?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > James

  3. Cathy Morgan

    Cathy Morgan Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, gwydion <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Well, a lot depends on the tides, your swimming sped and the conditions the day of the race, so
    > take anything you hear with a grain of salt.

    Listen to what they tell you on the boat. They will do a test swim the day before and the guys who
    do it are very experienced Alcatraz swimmers and know what they are talking about.

    clm in sf

    --
    [email protected] cathy morgan, san francisco, ca REMOVE x x to email