sprained knee

G

Greg

About 5 days ago I was kneeling (spelling?) for quite some time. I went to get up real quick and
felt a strong pain on the right side of my right knee (on the side of the joint), not a pop, more
like a knot. Two days before this happened I put in a full day of skiing hard (no falls or twists,
just good workout), and a day after that a session at the gym (mostly leg extentions). I went to the
hospital the next day to have it looked at, as it really hurt to bend my knee (it was only
comfortable if kept perfectly straight). They diagnosed a sprained knee and said to stay off it as
much as possible for a week. At no time did my knee swell at all (and still hasn't) and I can stand
and walk (as well as someone can while keeping 1 leg perfectly straight) with no pain and no feeling
of my knee "giving out", it feels very solid, just not flexible. Now, 5 days later I have about 1/2
my bend back (can bend it to 180 degree angle), but it is still sore to do this againt gravity (I
can now sit and drive my own car but hurts to bend my knee up while standing). I've also notice that
if I keep it bent for a long time, I have to take great care in straitening it back out, ie I have
to do it very slowly. I've worked up to this little by little each day. Does it look like I'm on the
road to recovery? Should I be pushing myself to bend more and more, or just let this thing be? How
much longer should I assume I'll have pain? I don't need to be out skiiing and biking, just able to
drive longer than 30 minutes without having to take a break to stretch it out, and also to walk
without a limp. Thanks so much for any advice on what you think I experienced, and how long till I
am better.

On 2004-02-23 14:41:09 -0500, [email protected] (Greg) said:

> Does it look like I'm on the road to recovery?

Sure sounds like it to me. Five days is not much time for a ligamentous sprain to improve; the fact
that you're doing better this quickly is a good sign.

anon <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<2004022317535816807%anon@anoncom>...
> On 2004-02-23 14:41:09 -0500, [email protected] (Greg) said:
>
> > Does it look like I'm on the road to recovery?
>
> Sure sounds like it to me. Five days is not much time for a ligamentous sprain to improve; the
> fact that you're doing better this quickly is a good sign.

That's good to hear... Over the last day or so I've been able to bend faster and faster. Although,
if I keep it bent for a long time (30 minutes driving) it kills to straighten back up (takes about
10 seconds to do this) and the joint is VERY stiff and painful for about a minute. Is this normal?
Sorry about all the questions, first time this has happened and I'm a worrier and like to know
what's going on. Thanks in advance...

On 2004-02-24 13:35:00 -0500, [email protected] (Greg) said:

> Over the last day or so I've been able to bend faster and faster. Although, if I keep it bent for
> a long time (30 minutes driving) it kills to straighten back up (takes about 10 seconds to do
> this) and the joint is VERY stiff and painful for about a minute. Is this normal?

Probably. Soft-tissue structures like ligaments and tendons will relax when you sit down, and may
hurt less when you're not using them. When you start moving again, it's not unusual to have some
discomfort. Your symptoms are still quite compatible with a soft-tissue injury (sprain/strain), and
as long as they continue to improve day by day, you should do fine. If things seem to worsen or
persist for longer than a couple of weeks, you should get it checked out.

anon <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<2004022419304016807%anon@anoncom>...
> On 2004-02-24 13:35:00 -0500, [email protected] (Greg) said:
>
> > Over the last day or so I've been able to bend faster and faster. Although, if I keep it bent
> > for a long time (30 minutes driving) it kills to straighten back up (takes about 10 seconds to
> > do this) and the joint is VERY stiff and painful for about a minute. Is this normal?
>
> Probably. Soft-tissue structures like ligaments and tendons will relax when you sit down, and may
> hurt less when you're not using them. When you start moving again, it's not unusual to have some
> discomfort. Your symptoms are still quite compatible with a soft-tissue injury (sprain/strain),
> and as long as they continue to improve day by day, you should do fine. If things seem to worsen
> or persist for longer than a couple of weeks, you should get it checked out.
I'll give it two weeks, I've really got everything back (can bend) just can't bend upward against
gravity (can't bend more than a quarter way back if standing straight and leg is straight down). I
just don't want to have any sort of surgery, that's the only thing that worries
me.

[email protected] (Greg) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> anon <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<2004022419304016807%anon@anoncom>...
> > On 2004-02-24 13:35:00 -0500, [email protected] (Greg) said:
> >
> > > Over the last day or so I've been able to bend faster and faster. Although, if I keep it bent
> > > for a long time (30 minutes driving) it kills to straighten back up (takes about 10 seconds to
> > > do this) and the joint is VERY stiff and painful for about a minute. Is this normal?
> >
> > Probably. Soft-tissue structures like ligaments and tendons will relax when you sit down,
> > and may hurt less when you're not using them. When you start moving again, it's not unusual
> > to have some discomfort. Your symptoms are still quite compatible with a soft-tissue injury
> > (sprain/strain), and as long as they continue to improve day by day, you should do fine. If
> > things seem to worsen or persist for longer than a couple of weeks, you should get it
> > checked out.
> I'll give it two weeks, I've really got everything back (can bend) just can't bend upward against
> gravity (can't bend more than a quarter way back if standing straight and leg is straight down). I
> just don't want to have any sort of surgery, that's the only thing that worries
> me.

Greg: My son recently developed a new electric heating pad for the knee. It's curved to the shape of
the bend when you sit down and captures the heat so that you can leave the temp at a lower setting
for a much longer setting without getting 'hot spots'. Will be glad to get them to send you one free
just for your assessment of its benefits. Let me know. Will [email protected] 904-651-1961