sprained my foot, sigh.

incircles

Oct 19, 2014
so, after being blasted in the face by an arctic wind, i went indoors to the apartment gym to get a few more miles in. i dismounted the way i usually dismount, before remembering that the stationary bike's pedals had straps. one foot made it out. the other stayed in as i crashed to the ground. not my first bike fall, but my first bike injury. nothing's broken, fortunately, but the foot's sprained, bruised, and swollen.

there's a lot of information about sprained ankles, but not much about sprained feet. how long should something like this keep me off my (real) bike? i'm fine taking a week off, but any more than that worries me because i've just recently started to see some big gains. a doctor would say no, but whatever. will it be okay to go back to pedaling even if there's a little pain left?

Hi, Injuries to the joints, mainly knees and ankles is very common in running and triathlon events and the first line of treatment is rest ice compression bandage and elevation (R.I.C.E) and the ice should be applied for about 20mins on and off for the first 24 hours.

One of the best follow-up treatments after R.I.C.E is the use of comfrey ointment. Comfrey (Symphytum officinale) has been used for centuries in the treatment of joint, bone and muscle injuries and was once called knit bone. The plant contains the small organic molecule allantoin, which is thought to stimulate cell growth and repair while simultaneously depressing inflammation. (Staiger C. Comfrey root: from tradition to modern clinical trials. Wien Med Wochenschr. 2013 Feb;163(3-4):58-64. doi: 10.1007/s10354-012-0162-4. Epub 2012 Dec 7).
Cheers Russell

Sorry to hear about your injury! However I think you should rest until your foot complete heals, so there won't be any regret or more severe injury in the future.

Your health and body are the most important. :)
Apply regular massage on your feet for blood circulation, it may bring faster healing based on my experience.

[SIZE=10.5pt]I’m sorry to hear that you sprained your foot. Everyone who is engaged in any physical activity, like cycling, is really exposed to situations like these, and these are not things that we want to happen. You should listen to your doctor but you can also to your body as well. If you think you can go back already, then you can but take precautions and start slow. You can start on a stationary bike for safety then gradually move on to real bikes. [/SIZE]

incircles said:
so, after being blasted in the face by an arctic wind, i went indoors to the apartment gym to get a few more miles in. i dismounted the way i usually dismount, before remembering that the stationary bike's pedals had straps. one foot made it out. the other stayed in as i crashed to the ground. not my first bike fall, but my first bike injury. nothing's broken, fortunately, but the foot's sprained, bruised, and swollen.

there's a lot of information about sprained ankles, but not much about sprained feet. how long should something like this keep me off my (real) bike? i'm fine taking a week off, but any more than that worries me because i've just recently started to see some big gains. a doctor would say no, but whatever. will it be okay to go back to pedaling even if there's a little pain left?
Wow, that sucks. Well, in a few ways because it's not a cool story where you can tell people you karate kicked a mugger robbing an old lady.
I have a question: Does every one strap into a stationary bike??? I don't think I have ever done that.

JoanMcWench said:
Wow, that sucks. Well, in a few ways because it's not a cool story where you can tell people you karate kicked a mugger robbing an old lady.
I have a question: Does every strap into a stationary bike??? I don't think I have ever done that.
Haha, well - no one's saying that he "can't" tell people that :rolleyes:
Oh and no, never strapped into a stationary bike, quite frankly I just don't like it, but I am not a very serious cyclist, so take from that what you will :p

If you're experiencing 'stiffness' in your ankles when you start, and with mild exercise that goes away, then riding is fine.

If you find that even with very mild effort the pain endures after 20 minutes, then it's time to rest, apply ice, take some anti-inflamitories, and rest.

If it was injury, then I would not dare to go back unless it is completely healed. I know that you are worrying about losing your gains but it is not worth the risk of getting more injuries in the near future and possibly a permanent one. I am not trying to scare you or anything, but it happens to people who forces to work with injuries that weren't completely healed. if the pain still exists, that means your injury is not completely healed and even though you can endure the pain while continue riding, there will be risks that the healing muscle would be torn again, which can result in a lot of negative health effects. I would listen to doctors' advice especially regarding how long your feet should be rested.

Sorry to hear about this injury. I myself have never been injured cycling, but I have broken a wrist due to a different sport. It is important you stay off of this ankle for at least a month. A MONTH? Yes, a month. Riding on this sprained ankle will make it worst, trust me. Just wait a bit, and try to do different exercises to keep you off your feet.

BrockJohn said:
Haha, well - no one's saying that he "can't" tell people that :rolleyes:
Oh and no, never strapped into a stationary bike, quite frankly I just don't like it, but I am not a very serious cyclist, so take from that what you will :p
Honestly, yes. I don't see the point in strapping into something that doesn't move in a dangerous way. Maybe to familiarize yourself? Otherwise it seems a hazard & not a help.

You have to listen to your body. If it hurts to pedal, then stop. Don't let pride get the best of you. Take the time to heal and come back with light workouts and move up from there.

Remember this word. ICE, which means, ice, compression, and elevation. Right after your injury you should of done just that. Keep a lot of ice and stay off of your foot. Antihistamine will help with the swelling.

I think the best thing would be to follow the doctor's advice and have sufficient rest. Taking a ride when you're clearly in pain does not augur well with your recovery process.

I fell into a ditch and broke my foot several years ago and did not take proper care of it. I am still dealing with pain related to the break, and will likely for the rest of my life. I would not recommend any activities that would hinder your healing process. I am an excellent example of what happens when you do that, even though you do not have a break, you have to allow yourself to heal properly. Please take the proper time to heal. We do not realize how important our feet are until we lose capability over them.

Hey OP. I was wondering if you had an update on your condition. Obviously, you're probably months-healed by now, but how have you been with cycling and everything? Hopefully no long-term effects from the injury, even though it was minor. I sprained my ankle once and I was still hurting a bit weeks later until the pain finally subsided. No long-term issues, though.

joshposh said:
You have to listen to your body. If it hurts to pedal, then stop. Don't let pride get the best of you. Take the time to heal and come back with light workouts and move up from there.

Remember this word. ICE, which means, ice, compression, and elevation. Right after your injury you should of done just that. Keep a lot of ice and stay off of your foot. Antihistamine will help with the swelling.
Those are the 3 main things for a sprained and swollen ankle. Ice, compression, and elevation. But if it is a severe sprain you would need to have it Xrayed. You might have done more damage then a simple sprain.

incircles said:
so, after being blasted in the face by an arctic wind, i went indoors to the apartment gym to get a few more miles in. i dismounted the way i usually dismount, before remembering that the stationary bike's pedals had straps. one foot made it out. the other stayed in as i crashed to the ground. not my first bike fall, but my first bike injury. nothing's broken, fortunately, but the foot's sprained, bruised, and swollen. there's a lot of information about sprained ankles, but not much about sprained feet. how long should something like this keep me off my (real) bike? i'm fine taking a week off, but any more than that worries me because i've just recently started to see some big gains. a doctor would say no, but whatever. will it be okay to go back to pedaling even if there's a little pain left?
If you decide you DO want to tell people you karate kicked a mugger, I'll vouche for you. At least that way you'll have a cool story to tell while you're laid up.