spray-on condom

Callistus Valerius

Guest
excerpt:

However, before the new condom can be sold in shops, the firm must ensure
that the latex is evenly spread when sprayed, as well as optimise the
vulcanisation process.

http://news.scotsman.com/scitech.cfm?id=1780172006

----------
If they can make a spray-on condom, why not a spray on patch for tubes?
Where is the innovation in cycling? In all other areas of adventure sports
you see really new innovative products, but in cycling there is an attitude
that it's all been done, it's just repackaging the same ol' things.

On Wed, 06 Dec 2006 02:16:41 GMT, "Callistus Valerius"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>excerpt:
>
>However, before the new condom can be sold in shops, the firm must ensure
>that the latex is evenly spread when sprayed, as well as optimise the
>vulcanisation process.
>
>http://news.scotsman.com/scitech.cfm?id=1780172006
>
>----------
> If they can make a spray-on condom,

I'm hardly convinced that such is, in fact, the case; the implication
that I got from the scant information is that the application process
would be lengthy, in particular by comparison to the predictable
urgency of need. I kept getting the feeling that this was a news
announcement that was horribly mistimed; somehow, I think it would
have been far more credible if disseminated very late at night on
March 31.

>why not a spray on patch for tubes?

They could, I suspect, but my expectation is that the associated kit
would not be as light a regular patch kit by a considerable amount,
and the patch itself would hardly be as cheap as a regular patch, as
immediately useful as a regular patch, as reliable as a regular patch,
or as easy to use as a regular patch.

>Where is the innovation in cycling?

In the stuff that matters to the people who spend the biggest bucks;
where it will make swift riders able to go just a teensy bit faster.

>In all other areas of adventure sports
>you see really new innovative products, but in cycling there is an attitude
>that it's all been done, it's just repackaging the same ol' things.

Much of the alleged "innovation" in cycling (both competition-oriented
and otherwise) turns out to be snake oil. Of course, that's true in
other sports as well.

Still, ignoring the genuine but failed stuff like ISIS and Octalink,
there's HollowtechII, carbon fiber frames and other components,
30-speed der systems, Ergo shifters (and imitative but not superior
competitors), seats with shapes and hollows that didn't exist a few
years ago, and the ability to build a ridable 15-lb bike (if you want
to spend the money); that doesn't count, eh?

Cycling may seem to have a shallow innovation curve today, but that's
because it had a steep one a century ago... and innovation *is* still
taking place. Maybe not where you're paying attention, but it's out
there.

--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

Werehatrack wrote:
> On Wed, 06 Dec 2006 02:16:41 GMT, "Callistus Valerius"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> excerpt:
>>
>> However, before the new condom can be sold in shops, the firm must ensure
>> that the latex is evenly spread when sprayed, as well as optimise the
>> vulcanisation process.
>>
>> http://news.scotsman.com/scitech.cfm?id=1780172006
>>
>> ----------
>> If they can make a spray-on condom,

> I'm hardly convinced that such is, in fact, the case; the implication
> that I got from the scant information is that the application process
> would be lengthy, in particular by comparison to the predictable
> urgency of need. I kept getting the feeling that this was a news
> announcement that was horribly mistimed; somehow, I think it would
> have been far more credible if disseminated very late at night on
> March 31.
>
>> why not a spray on patch for tubes?

> They could, I suspect, but my expectation is that the associated kit
> would not be as light a regular patch kit by a considerable amount,
> and the patch itself would hardly be as cheap as a regular patch, as
> immediately useful as a regular patch, as reliable as a regular patch,
> or as easy to use as a regular patch.
>
>> Where is the innovation in cycling?

> In the stuff that matters to the people who spend the biggest bucks;
> where it will make swift riders able to go just a teensy bit faster.
>
>> In all other areas of adventure sports
>> you see really new innovative products, but in cycling there is an attitude
>> that it's all been done, it's just repackaging the same ol' things.

> Much of the alleged "innovation" in cycling (both competition-oriented
> and otherwise) turns out to be snake oil. Of course, that's true in
> other sports as well.
>
> Still, ignoring the genuine but failed stuff like ISIS and Octalink,

failed octalink??? regurgitation of spiteful misinformed supposition
you read on newsgroups is not a basis for declaring failure. nor is
succession by improvement. sheesh, if succession were evidence of
failure, platform pedals would be history. and steel frames.

"jim beam" wrote:
> failed octalink??? regurgitation of spiteful misinformed supposition
> you read on newsgroups is not a basis for declaring failure. nor is
> succession by improvement....

"jim",

Why not just come out and say what you are referring too?

Never mind, I will save you the trouble:
<http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/loosening-cranks.html>.

Based on Shimano's website, only Deore among the ATB components groups
and Sora among the road component groups still use Octalink. All higher
groups and BMX use Hollowtech II with the spindle integral with the
drive side crank, while all lower groups and Nexus use square
(presumably JIS) taper. This implies that Octalink is not a great
success in the marketplace.

--
Tom Sherman - Post Free or Die!

Johnny Sunset wrote:
> "jim beam" wrote:
>> failed octalink??? regurgitation of spiteful misinformed supposition
>> you read on newsgroups is not a basis for declaring failure. nor is
>> succession by improvement....

> "jim",
>
> Why not just come out and say what you are referring too?
>
> Never mind, I will save you the trouble:
> <http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/loosening-cranks.html>.
>
> Based on Shimano's website, only Deore among the ATB components groups
> and Sora among the road component groups still use Octalink. All higher
> groups and BMX use Hollowtech II with the spindle integral with the
> drive side crank, while all lower groups and Nexus use square
> (presumably JIS) taper. This implies that Octalink is not a great
> success in the marketplace.

bleating about octalink "failure" is like bleating about lug nut
loosening on a car when insufficiently torqued - utterly stupid. new
design simply means succession by something better - it is /not/ failure
in the market place. i would have thought the countless millions sold
and not a single spindle failure on r.b.t would be proof enough of that.

as to loosening octalink cranks, i have no less than six octalink
equipped bikes and i've never had a single one loosen. i've had most of
my of square taper cranks loosen at some time or other though. but
maybe that's a false statistic i made up to propagate shimano conspiracy
as one of their paid internet fudsters...

> excerpt:
>
> However, before the new condom can be sold in shops, the firm must

ensure
> that the latex is evenly spread when sprayed, as well as optimise the
> vulcanisation process.
>
> http://news.scotsman.com/scitech.cfm?id=1780172006
>
> ----------
> If they can make a spray-on condom, why not a spray on patch for

tubes?
> Where is the innovation in cycling? In all other areas of adventure

sports
> you see really new innovative products, but in cycling there is an

attitude
> that it's all been done, it's just repackaging the same ol' things.

"For prevention of disease only." ;-)

I would think that a "dip coat" like used and tool handles would be more
effective than a spray on application.

Dr. Chas.

Callistus Valerius wrote:
> excerpt:
>
> However, before the new condom can be sold in shops, the firm must
> ensure that the latex is evenly spread when sprayed, as well as
> optimise the vulcanisation process.
>
> http://news.scotsman.com/scitech.cfm?id=1780172006
>
> ----------
> If they can make a spray-on condom,

Yeahbutt... The can leaves a really obvious outline in your back pocket.

> why not a spray on patch for
> tubes?

I doubt the condoms are rated for 130-psi ejacu--- OK, 'nuff said.

Bill "old-school rubber...tubes" S.

* * Chas wrote:
> "Callistus Valerius" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> excerpt:
>>
>> However, before the new condom can be sold in shops, the firm must

> ensure
>> that the latex is evenly spread when sprayed, as well as optimise the
>> vulcanisation process.
>>
>> http://news.scotsman.com/scitech.cfm?id=1780172006
>>
>> ----------
>> If they can make a spray-on condom, why not a spray on patch for

> tubes?
>> Where is the innovation in cycling? In all other areas of adventure

> sports
>> you see really new innovative products, but in cycling there is an

> attitude
>> that it's all been done, it's just repackaging the same ol' things.
>>

> "For prevention of disease only." ;-)
>
> I would think that a "dip coat" like used and tool handles would be more
> effective than a spray on application.
>
> Dr. Chas.

I'm not going to go there, Chas. I stopped myself just in time. I'm
trying to be undisgusting. BUT my GF prefers no Ted no Ted no Ted

--

Ted P.
Don't forget to take out the trash

Bill Sornson wrote:
> Callistus Valerius wrote:
>> excerpt:
>>
>> However, before the new condom can be sold in shops, the firm must
>> ensure that the latex is evenly spread when sprayed, as well as
>> optimise the vulcanisation process.
>>
>> http://news.scotsman.com/scitech.cfm?id=1780172006
>>
>> ----------
>> If they can make a spray-on condom,

> Yeahbutt... The can leaves a really obvious outline in your back pocket.

Yeah we used to have heel taps, ducktails, /really/ thin belts, the back
pocket outline from your billfold, etc. Probably carried that thing
around for months. I imagine there were quite a few marriages (thing to
do back then) due to all the wear and tear. When my little brother went
to school years later that round outline was from a Skoal can.

Werehatrack wrote:
> I'm hardly convinced that such is, in fact, the case; the implication
> that I got from the scant information is that the application process
> would be lengthy, in particular by comparison to the predictable
> urgency of need. I kept getting the feeling that this was a news
> announcement that was horribly mistimed; somehow, I think it would
> have been far more credible if disseminated very late at night on
> March 31.

"Disseminated" - Ha!

Ted P. wrote:
> * * Chas wrote:
>> "Callistus Valerius" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>> excerpt:
>>>
>>> However, before the new condom can be sold in shops, the firm must

>> ensure
>>> that the latex is evenly spread when sprayed, as well as optimise the
>>> vulcanisation process.
>>>
>>> http://news.scotsman.com/scitech.cfm?id=1780172006
>>>
>>> ----------
>>> If they can make a spray-on condom, why not a spray on patch for

>> tubes?
>>> Where is the innovation in cycling? In all other areas of adventure

>> sports
>>> you see really new innovative products, but in cycling there is an

>> attitude
>>> that it's all been done, it's just repackaging the same ol' things.
>>>

>> "For prevention of disease only." ;-)
>>
>> I would think that a "dip coat" like used and tool handles would be more
>> effective than a spray on application.
>>
>> Dr. Chas.
>>

> I'm not going to go there, Chas. I stopped myself just in time. I'm
> trying to be undisgusting. BUT my GF prefers no Ted no Ted no Ted

That looks really wrong. What I meant to say was that the dip she....Oh
never mind.

--

<[email protected]> wrote:

> If they can make a spray-on condom, why not a spray on patch for tubes?
>Where is the innovation in cycling? In all other areas of adventure sports
>you see really new innovative products, but in cycling there is an attitude
>that it's all been done, it's just repackaging the same ol' things.

As if a condom isn't the ne plus ultra of "repackaging the same ol'
thing" :)

Kinky Cowboy*

*Batteries not included
May contain traces of nuts
Your milage may vary

* * Chas wrote:
> "Callistus Valerius" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > excerpt:
> >
> > However, before the new condom can be sold in shops, the firm must

> ensure
> > that the latex is evenly spread when sprayed, as well as optimise the
> > vulcanisation process.
> >
> > http://news.scotsman.com/scitech.cfm?id=1780172006
> >
> > ----------
> > If they can make a spray-on condom, why not a spray on patch for

> tubes?
> > Where is the innovation in cycling? In all other areas of adventure

> sports
> > you see really new innovative products, but in cycling there is an

> attitude
> > that it's all been done, it's just repackaging the same ol' things.
> >

> "For prevention of disease only." ;-)
>
> I would think that a "dip coat" like used and tool handles would be more
> effective than a spray on application.

Geez, I hope the dip gets warmed up prior to application.

"Leo Lichtman" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"* * Chas" wrote: I would think that a "dip coat" like used and tool
>handles would be more effective than a spray on application.
>^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>One advantage would be that you could lose your erection, and she would not
>know it.

'Til the next morning...

Mark "try not to think about that one" Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $795 ti frame

"Ozark Bicycle" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> * * Chas wrote:
> > "Callistus Valerius" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > excerpt:
> > >
> > > However, before the new condom can be sold in shops, the firm must

> > ensure
> > > that the latex is evenly spread when sprayed, as well as optimise

the
> > > vulcanisation process.
> > >
> > > http://news.scotsman.com/scitech.cfm?id=1780172006
> > >
> > > ----------
> > > If they can make a spray-on condom, why not a spray on patch for

> > tubes?
> > > Where is the innovation in cycling? In all other areas of adventure

> > sports
> > > you see really new innovative products, but in cycling there is an

> > attitude
> > > that it's all been done, it's just repackaging the same ol' things.
> > >

> > "For prevention of disease only." ;-)
> >
> > I would think that a "dip coat" like used and tool handles would be

more
> > effective than a spray on application.

> Geez, I hope the dip gets warmed up prior to application.
> >
> > Dr. Chas.

Actually, it's rather hot!

Chas.

> "Leo Lichtman" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >"* * Chas" wrote: I would think that a "dip coat" like used and tool
> >handles would be more effective than a spray on application.
> >^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >One advantage would be that you could lose your erection, and she would

not
> >know it.

> 'Til the next morning...
>
> Mark "try not to think about that one" Hickey
> Habanero Cycles
> http://www.habcycles.com
> Home of the $795 ti frame

How does that TV add go... "Warning, seek medical aid for erections
lasting more than 4 hours...."

Chas.

"Mark Hickey" wrote: 'Til the next morning...
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
If you have to leave before she wakes up, the polite thing would be to tuck
in a note.

"Leo Lichtman" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"Mark Hickey" wrote: 'Til the next morning...
>^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>If you have to leave before she wakes up, the polite thing would be to tuck
>in a note.

LOL

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $795 ti frame

On 5 Dec 2006 21:16:30 -0800, "Johnny Sunset" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>"jim beam" wrote:
>> failed octalink??? regurgitation of spiteful misinformed supposition
>> you read on newsgroups is not a basis for declaring failure. nor is
>> succession by improvement....

>"jim",
>
>Why not just come out and say what you are referring too?
>
>Never mind, I will save you the trouble:
><http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/loosening-cranks.html>.
>
>Based on Shimano's website, only Deore among the ATB components groups
>and Sora among the road component groups still use Octalink. All higher
>groups and BMX use Hollowtech II with the spindle integral with the
>drive side crank, while all lower groups and Nexus use square
>(presumably JIS) taper. This implies that Octalink is not a great
>success in the marketplace.

Add to that the fact that the only torn up crank I've had here in the
past six months was an Ultegra Octalink whose left crank was chewed to
the point that it had about three degrees of motion on the spindle.
Others in the area have reported similar experience.

When I first saw the Octalink design, my impression was that this was
a bad move. Had both pieces of the assembly been steel, it might have
worked, but not with one of them being aluminum; I expected them to
work loose and get sloppy, and that is what I have observed them to do
in fact. That some people have had no problems does not prove the
lack of a fault; there are reportedly still two Chevy Vegas on the
road in Houston, but that does not invalidate the fact that the Vega
was the worst American car built in the past 40 years. If Octalink
was such a great idea, other makers would adopt it as the patent
lapsed, if for no other reason than to supply replacement parts; none
have indicated any intention of doing so. Even Shimano is slowly
orphaning the product. Imitation is the sincerest form of
confirmation that a design was worthy; the lack of it is damning.

--

Wher's the Hatrack writes:

>>> failed octalink??? regurgitation of spiteful misinformed
>>> supposition you read on newsgroups is not a basis for declaring
>>> failure. nor is succession by improvement....

>> Why not just come out and say what you are referring too?

>> Never mind, I will save you the trouble:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/loosening-cranks.html

>> Based on Shimano's website, only Deore among the ATB components
>> groups and Sora among the road component groups still use
>> Octalink. All higher groups and BMX use Hollowtech II with the
>> spindle integral with the drive side crank, while all lower groups
>> and Nexus use square (presumably JIS) taper. This implies that
>> Octalink is not a great success in the marketplace.

> Add to that the fact that the only torn up crank I've had here in
> the past six months was an Ultegra Octalink whose left crank was
> chewed to the point that it had about three degrees of motion on the
> spindle. Others in the area have reported similar experience.

> When I first saw the Octalink design, my impression was that this
> was a bad move. Had both pieces of the assembly been steel, it
> might have worked, but not with one of them being aluminum; I
> expected them to work loose and get sloppy, and that is what I have
> observed them to do in fact.

> That some people have had no problems does not prove the lack of a
> fault; there are reportedly still two Chevy Vegas on the road in
> Houston, but that does not invalidate that the Vega was the worst
> American car built in the past 40 years. If Octalink was such a
> great idea, other makers would adopt it as the patent lapsed, if for
> no other reason than to supply replacement parts; none have
> indicated any intention of doing so. Even Shimano is slowly
> orphaning the product. Imitation is the sincerest form of
> confirmation that a design was worthy; the lack of it is damning.

Why aren't we all driving air cooled, rear engine, torsion bar
suspended, swing axle cars? Those were great ideas... weren't they?

Jobst Brandt