Spring Classics: The Flyer Resolution

Discussion in 'Professional Cycling' started by Geoff Vadar, Feb 27, 2009.

1. Geoff Vadar

Geoff Vadar New Member

Ok so the spring classics are coming up. Its almost time for some serious cycling talk to begin. Which means we need to deal with flyer properly.

Suggestions? Its one thing to put up with him during the offseason but he will fark up the sub forum during the season proper.

Lets end him.

Suggestions?

Can we hack his account? Can we get Steve to lift a finger? Is there any other effective ways to silence him? Could we try talking to him rationally? He cant be that insane?

Tags:

2. JAPANic

JAPANic New Member

Somebody with a bow and arrow needs to put a shot through his front wheel when he's Flyering down a hill....
    that's being kind too...

3. RdBiker

RdBiker New Member

So any one (still) can't get hold of the site owner?

4. TheDarkLord

TheDarkLord New Member

I think one can pretty much forget about that.

5. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

Not for the want of trying, let me tell ya.

6. Bro Deal

Bro Deal New Member

I thought GV and Steve are best mates. :p

7. Flyer

Flyer Banned

wwee

8. thebluetrain

thebluetrain New Member

I say let Flyer return to the forum.

9. Flyer

Flyer Banned

ERR

10. Trev_S

Trev_S New Member

Agreed, he is a menace and will only continue to flood the board.

How to silence somebody already silenced :rolleyes: yet still goes on and on and on. He clearly does not get bored with it and either loves the attention even if it is all negative &/or is a few screws lose.

suggetions??
    Unless somebody can get in touch with Steve (is he the only admin?) to either get some more admin control or for him to dispose of the serial pest.
    Otherwise Flyer will only continue and kill whats left of this board

11. Flyer

Flyer Banned

RREE

12. slovakguy

slovakguy Active Member

some interesting racing this weekend, no? big sprinters with team support taking the honours. are we to take it that cervelo and quick-step are looking to make their years in the classics and just show the colours at the g-t's? wondering if that's the case since rabo contested mightily for both.

13. Geoff Vadar

Geoff Vadar New Member

Yeah I think that is the case for Rabo. They did put in a huge weekend. Not so sure about Cervelo. The spring classics seem to fall on deaf ears (mostly) in the North American market so it would be unusual for a brand led team like Cervelo to only focus on the euro spring and not try to give a focused account of themselves come July.

Its an interesting discussion. Do you let the talent dictate where the season focus goes or do you map your talent to events in accordance with where your key sponsor needs exposure. For most teams its probably a balancing act. It will be worth following the Cervelo situation to see just how far they allow the marketing premise behind the venture to dictate the season parcours. Then there is the issue of volatility of riders comments in the press. What zone of influence are they exerting there? Can we see evidence of a healthy freedom of opinion.

Personally I am not convinced Cervelo understand the branding risks to team ownership and I think there is a conflict of interest which is, at least potentially, unhealthy for the sport. Mind you I am not completely convinced its unworkable but merely paying attention to how the relationship unfolds.

"Cervelo Test Team" isnt a concept I would advise as being an intelligent one for a brand. That is not to say it wont pan out well for them. It may. It is just that there are really sound arguments against it.

And from the sports governing perspective - we want athletes to be free to express their views on all matters regarding professional racing. For athletes to be mindful of sponsors concerns but most certainly not governed by them.

I agree those teams were right on the money this weekend though.

14. thunder

thunder New Member

Cervelo, anecdotally, have good exposure in tri's. I think the numbers are one of the three top bikes in Ironman Kona.

With some bike like Quintana, and Trek. I think C-dale made inroads recently into the triathlon market.

But the Cervelo play might be trying to build their Euro market share. And it is not cheap, I think they must be down close to 10 million euro, in a market where not everyone will be buying on credit a 5g frame, and a 10k bike.

Their team has certainly come in very hot.

15. whiteboytrash

whiteboytrash New Member

..and their kit is hot ! Looks really good and is striking.

16. Geoff Vadar

Geoff Vadar New Member

As a general rule men should not use the word 'hot' to describe other men's clothes. I feel violated.

17. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

With the exception of gay men and firemen stomping out a blazing jersey. In either case flaming is involved.

18. Flyer

Flyer Banned

sddff

19. slovakguy

slovakguy Active Member

strange thing is, for me anyway, that cervelo and rabo have the talent (even given my having gone on about menchov's lack of killer instinct) to contest the g-t's. sure they have large squads for all these races, but for them to be pushing several riders forward this early in a season? this sort of effort this early makes me tip cavendish for another go at the sprinter's title at the tdf.

20. Flyer

Flyer Banned

sssddd