Spring Rates

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by T_blood, Apr 9, 2003.

  1. T_blood

    T_blood Guest

    How do I tell what rate my rear spring is on my Rock Shox Pro Deluxe? It came stock and all I can
    find printed on it is the numbers 500 x 2.00. I'm a solid 205 lbs and want to be sure it will handle
    me should I get into some hairy shit. Also, is there any way to tell what front spring you have in a
    Psylo without taking it apart? I know I need the "blue" springs, just not sure which one it came
    with. Thx...Mike

    Tags:

  2. David

    David Guest

    "T_Blood" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > How do I tell what rate my rear spring is on my Rock Shox Pro Deluxe? It came stock and all I can
    > find printed on it is the numbers 500 x 2.00. I'm a solid 205 lbs and want to be sure it will
    > handle me should I get into some hairy shit.

    It's about the frame, more than the shock. Different bikes apply a different amount of leverage to
    the shock. As a starting point, see if you can set the sag to the frame manufacturers specs (without
    dialing in so much preload that you limit travel). If you can do that the spring should work.

  3. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    "T_Blood" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > How do I tell what rate my rear spring is on my Rock Shox Pro Deluxe? It came stock and all I can
    > find printed on it is the numbers 500 x 2.00. I'm
    > solid 205 lbs and want to be sure it will handle me should I get into some hairy shit. Also, is
    > there any way to tell what front spring you have in a
    > Psylo without taking it apart? I know I need the "blue" springs, just not sure which one it came
    > with. Thx...Mike

    The numbers on your rear spring indicate a spring rate of 500lbs/inch with 2 inches of spring
    compression. If you find you can't achieve the proper sag or you're bottoming out the bike it's
    pretty much trial and error to find the right size. (Note on sag if you put too many turns on the
    preload adjuster the spring coils will crash into each other and stuff will break.) I suggest going
    in 100lb increments. I believe MRP has a 30 day swap policy to help you find the correct weight
    spring. The leverage ratios on different bike makes it hard to calculate the exact size spring.

    Mike

  4. John Morgan

    John Morgan Guest

    If you're planning on visiting Phoenix anytime soon, you'll notice the Summer Rates are a lot lower.
    Usually they'll throw in a month or two free.

    -John Morgan ...summer looms near.

  5. "Michael Dart" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "T_Blood" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > How do I tell what rate my rear spring is on my Rock Shox Pro Deluxe? It came stock and all I
    > > can find printed on it is the numbers 500 x 2.00.
    I'm
    > > solid 205 lbs and want to be sure it will handle me should I get into
    some
    > > hairy shit. Also, is there any way to tell what front spring you have in
    > > Psylo without taking it apart? I know I need the "blue" springs, just
    not
    > > sure which one it came with. Thx...Mike
    > >

    > The numbers on your rear spring indicate a spring rate of 500lbs/inch with
    2
    > inches of spring compression. If you find you can't achieve the proper
    sag
    > or you're bottoming out the bike it's pretty much trial and error to find the right size. (Note on
    > sag if you put too many turns on the preload adjuster the spring coils will crash into each other
    > and stuff will
    break.)
    > I suggest going in 100lb increments. I believe MRP has a 30 day swap
    policy
    > to help you find the correct weight spring. The leverage ratios on different bike makes it hard to
    > calculate the exact size spring.
    >
    > Mike

    Try http://www.mojo.co.uk/springs-calc.shtml for a good stating point.

    Steve E.