Spring Renewal

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Gary Mc, Mar 13, 2003.

  1. Gary Mc

    Gary Mc Guest

    Last December, anticipating the winter, I decided to give running another try. I am not much of a
    cold weather rider and I usually lose much of my aerobic conditioning over the winter. My 58 year
    old runner's knees could only handle so much, so I topped out at 50 minutes of running twice a week,
    with a trike ride thrown in.

    As it turned out we had the 3rd mildest winter on record for Salt Lake City. It is our high
    pressures that bring us warmth and force the flow of air into Canada, bring the brutal winters to
    the midwest and east coast.

    This week we are in the 60's and approaching 70. We may break a high temp record for this date. I
    have been able in the last week to climb two canyons that I would not normally want to ride before
    late April. (City Creek and Millcreek Canyons.) Millcreek canyon is about a 1600-1800 ft climb, City
    Creek a bit less.

    The punchline is that the running has really helped my climbing. I am probably not any faster but I
    roll right past the rest spots that I used last year. My wind is much improved. I will remember this
    next winter. But, it is time to put away the running shoes and save my knees for riding. Both
    exercises are good in their own ways. I get more aerobic benefit from running, but a longer and more
    varied workout (strength and aerobic) from triking.

    Gary McCarty, Greenspeed GTO, Salt Lake City

    Tags:

  2. On 13 Mar 2003 13:23:11 -0800, [email protected] (Gary Mc) wrote:

    >I get more aerobic benefit from running, but a longer and more varied workout (strength and
    >aerobic) from triking.

    One thing you can learn, if you want to, is that you can get the same aerobic benefit from cycling,
    too. It just takes more discipline (and possibly more than you want to give to a pleasurable
    activity).

    -- Robert, sometimes runner/cyclist/skater/skate-skiier

  3. Carol Cohen

    Carol Cohen Guest

    Er, Spring? What's that? It's snowing again here in Boston, 2-4" and very cold tonight. Would it
    slow you down on your Greenspeed if you realized your every ride this month carried the burden of
    all us winterlocked northeasterners?

    I bet every cyclist (and every other person!) in SLC feels light and happy, now that Elizabeth Smart
    has been found! My best wishes to your entire city and its good people.

    C.C.

    -

    > Last December, anticipating the winter, I decided to give running another try. I am not much of a
    > cold weather rider-
    >
    > As it turned out we had the 3rd mildest winter on record for Salt Lake City. It is our high
    > pressures that bring us warmth and force the flow of air into Canada, bring the brutal winters to
    > the midwest and east coast.
    >
    > This week we are in the 60's and approaching 70. We may break a high temp record for this date. I
    > have been able in the last week to climb two canyons that I would not normally want to ride before
    > late April.
    -

  4. Gary Mc

    Gary Mc Guest

    Carol Cohen <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<BA96719D.47A0B%[email protected]>...

    > I bet every cyclist (and every other person!) in SLC feels light and happy, now that Elizabeth
    > Smart has been found! My best wishes to your entire city and its good people.
    >
    > C.C.

    Carol,

    My wife and I certainly shared a tear or two of joy when we heard. I suspect that you are right that
    most Utahns felt the same.

    Gary McCarty

  5. Freewheeling

    Freewheeling Guest

    I understand she's now making plans to attend Julliard. Hope she get's the right therapy, but it'll
    be a difficult for her to fit in. Still, family counts for a lot.

    --
    --Scott [email protected] Cut the "tail" to send email.

    news:[email protected]...