Spring Renewal

Gary Mc

Guest
Last December, anticipating the winter, I decided to give running another try. I am not much of a
cold weather rider and I usually lose much of my aerobic conditioning over the winter. My 58 year
old runner's knees could only handle so much, so I topped out at 50 minutes of running twice a week,
with a trike ride thrown in.

As it turned out we had the 3rd mildest winter on record for Salt Lake City. It is our high
pressures that bring us warmth and force the flow of air into Canada, bring the brutal winters to
the midwest and east coast.

This week we are in the 60's and approaching 70. We may break a high temp record for this date. I
have been able in the last week to climb two canyons that I would not normally want to ride before
late April. (City Creek and Millcreek Canyons.) Millcreek canyon is about a 1600-1800 ft climb, City
Creek a bit less.

The punchline is that the running has really helped my climbing. I am probably not any faster but I
roll right past the rest spots that I used last year. My wind is much improved. I will remember this
next winter. But, it is time to put away the running shoes and save my knees for riding. Both
exercises are good in their own ways. I get more aerobic benefit from running, but a longer and more
varied workout (strength and aerobic) from triking.

Gary McCarty, Greenspeed GTO, Salt Lake City

On 13 Mar 2003 13:23:11 -0800, [email protected] (Gary Mc) wrote:

>I get more aerobic benefit from running, but a longer and more varied workout (strength and
>aerobic) from triking.

One thing you can learn, if you want to, is that you can get the same aerobic benefit from cycling,
too. It just takes more discipline (and possibly more than you want to give to a pleasurable
activity).

-- Robert, sometimes runner/cyclist/skater/skate-skiier

Er, Spring? What's that? It's snowing again here in Boston, 2-4" and very cold tonight. Would it
slow you down on your Greenspeed if you realized your every ride this month carried the burden of
all us winterlocked northeasterners?

I bet every cyclist (and every other person!) in SLC feels light and happy, now that Elizabeth Smart
has been found! My best wishes to your entire city and its good people.

C.C.

-

-

Carol Cohen <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<BA96719D.47A0B%[email protected]>...

> I bet every cyclist (and every other person!) in SLC feels light and happy, now that Elizabeth
> Smart has been found! My best wishes to your entire city and its good people.
>
> C.C.

Carol,

My wife and I certainly shared a tear or two of joy when we heard. I suspect that you are right that
most Utahns felt the same.

Gary McCarty

I understand she's now making plans to attend Julliard. Hope she get's the right therapy, but it'll
be a difficult for her to fit in. Still, family counts for a lot.

--
--Scott [email protected] Cut the "tail" to send email.

news:[email protected]...