Sprint rims

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Reyserf, Jun 5, 2004.

  1. Reyserf

    Reyserf Guest

    For some reason back in the 1980's I bought some handbuilt sprint wheels,
    Campag Record on Mavic GP4's using DB spokes. Dispite the fact that I spent
    what seemed like hours spinning the wheels admiring their oh so smooth
    bearings and perfect alignment I never felt confident about my ability to
    glue the tubs onto the rims, nor was I happy repairing punctures, so the
    wheels soon ended up in the attic gathering dust.

    Thing is, I have got interested in cycling on the road again. I can use the
    Bottechia frame which has also been resting in the attic but I still don't
    fancy sprints & tubs.

    Should I try to sell the wheels on ebay and buy a new wheel set?
    or
    Should I get the wheels rebuilt with a 'wired on' rim? How easy would it be
    to do this myself? Could I use both the hubs and the spokes (although they
    have'nt been used for twenty years they have been under tension for that
    time) and which rim could I use?

    Cheers

    George

    Tags:

  2. Simon D

    Simon D Guest

    "Reyserf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > For some reason back in the 1980's I bought some handbuilt sprint wheels,
    > Campag Record on Mavic GP4's using DB spokes. Dispite the fact that I

    spent
    > what seemed like hours spinning the wheels admiring their oh so smooth
    > bearings and perfect alignment I never felt confident about my ability to
    > glue the tubs onto the rims, nor was I happy repairing punctures, so the
    > wheels soon ended up in the attic gathering dust.
    >
    > Thing is, I have got interested in cycling on the road again. I can use

    the
    > Bottechia frame which has also been resting in the attic but I still don't
    > fancy sprints & tubs.
    >
    > Should I try to sell the wheels on ebay and buy a new wheel set?
    > or
    > Should I get the wheels rebuilt with a 'wired on' rim? How easy would it

    be
    > to do this myself? Could I use both the hubs and the spokes (although they
    > have'nt been used for twenty years they have been under tension for that
    > time) and which rim could I use?

    Personally, I'd ride them!! You have a truly classic pair of wheels. If
    you're not confident about glue (and it's really not rocket science, you
    know - be daring!) find someone who sells tub tape. If they're unridden and
    the spokes aren't too rusty (chrome??), you shouldn't have any problems at
    all. They're a very tough pair of wheels.

    However, if you're dead-set against tubs you may be best getting them
    rebuilt with HP rims. You'll need new spokes anyway, because the length will
    pretty much certainly be different for any modern HP rim.

    It does seem a terrible shame to dismantle such gorgeous wheels, which
    anyone restoring an 80s road bike would die for. However, modern hubs are
    130mm / 9 or 10 speed, and won't be particularly happy with your Bottechia.

    Go on - live dangerously - give them a try. :)

  3. Reyserf

    Reyserf Guest

    "Simon D" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > "Reyserf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > For some reason back in the 1980's I bought some handbuilt sprint

    wheels,
    > > Campag Record on Mavic GP4's using DB spokes. Dispite the fact that I

    > spent
    > > what seemed like hours spinning the wheels admiring their oh so smooth
    > > bearings and perfect alignment I never felt confident about my ability

    > > glue the tubs onto the rims, nor was I happy repairing punctures, so the
    > > wheels soon ended up in the attic gathering dust.
    > >
    > > Thing is, I have got interested in cycling on the road again. I can use

    > the
    > > Bottechia frame which has also been resting in the attic but I still

    don't
    > > fancy sprints & tubs.
    > >
    > > Should I try to sell the wheels on ebay and buy a new wheel set?
    > > or
    > > Should I get the wheels rebuilt with a 'wired on' rim? How easy would it

    > be
    > > to do this myself? Could I use both the hubs and the spokes (although

    they
    > > have'nt been used for twenty years they have been under tension for that
    > > time) and which rim could I use?

    > Personally, I'd ride them!! You have a truly classic pair of wheels. If
    > you're not confident about glue (and it's really not rocket science, you
    > know - be daring!) find someone who sells tub tape. If they're unridden

    and
    > the spokes aren't too rusty (chrome??), you shouldn't have any problems at
    > all. They're a very tough pair of wheels.
    >
    > However, if you're dead-set against tubs you may be best getting them
    > rebuilt with HP rims. You'll need new spokes anyway, because the length

    will
    > pretty much certainly be different for any modern HP rim.
    >
    > It does seem a terrible shame to dismantle such gorgeous wheels, which
    > anyone restoring an 80s road bike would die for. However, modern hubs are
    > 130mm / 9 or 10 speed, and won't be particularly happy with your

    Bottechia.

    > Go on - live dangerously - give them a try. :)

    The spokes look like new, as do the rims, just a bit of play in the front
    hub.

    Is tub tape any good?

    New tires incorporate anti-puncture strips do modern tubs?

    George

  4. JohnB

    JohnB Guest

    Reyserf wrote:

    > "Simon D" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > "Reyserf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]
    > > > For some reason back in the 1980's I bought some handbuilt sprint

    > wheels,
    > > > Campag Record on Mavic GP4's using DB spokes.
    > > > Should I try to sell the wheels on ebay and buy a new wheel set?
    > > > or
    > > > Should I get the wheels rebuilt with a 'wired on' rim? How easy would it

    > > be
    > > > to do this myself? Could I use both the hubs and the spokes (although

    > they
    > > > have'nt been used for twenty years they have been under tension for that
    > > > time) and which rim could I use?

    > > Personally, I'd ride them!! You have a truly classic pair of wheels.

    > > It does seem a terrible shame to dismantle such gorgeous wheels, which
    > > anyone restoring an 80s road bike would die for. However, modern hubs are
    > > 130mm / 9 or 10 speed, and won't be particularly happy with your

    > Bottechia.

    > The spokes look like new, as do the rims, just a bit of play in the front
    > hub.
    >
    > Is tub tape any good?

    I have *exactly* the same set of wheels, little used sitting in the shed.
    Campag Record hubs from the early 80's with GP4 rims, 28 spoked.

    They are terrific to ride but I know I should sell them, but won't.

    I'd use them if I were you; tubs have a special zing compared to HPs.
    However, I'd avoid tub tape as if you puncture it tends to come off and
    get tangled round your arms, legs, neck...

    Give the rims a layer of tub cement, let them dry, then another layer
    before fitting the tub.

    Enjoy your ride, and fly :)

    John B

  5. Reyserf

    Reyserf Guest

    "Reyserf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > "Simon D" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > "Reyserf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]
    > > > For some reason back in the 1980's I bought some handbuilt sprint

    > wheels,
    > > > Campag Record on Mavic GP4's using DB spokes. Dispite the fact that I

    > > spent
    > > > what seemed like hours spinning the wheels admiring their oh so smooth
    > > > bearings and perfect alignment I never felt confident about my ability

    > > > glue the tubs onto the rims, nor was I happy repairing punctures, so

    the
    > > > wheels soon ended up in the attic gathering dust.
    > > >
    > > > Thing is, I have got interested in cycling on the road again. I can

    use
    > > the
    > > > Bottechia frame which has also been resting in the attic but I still

    > don't
    > > > fancy sprints & tubs.
    > > >
    > > > Should I try to sell the wheels on ebay and buy a new wheel set?
    > > > or
    > > > Should I get the wheels rebuilt with a 'wired on' rim? How easy would

    it
    > > be
    > > > to do this myself? Could I use both the hubs and the spokes (although

    > they
    > > > have'nt been used for twenty years they have been under tension for

    that
    > > > time) and which rim could I use?

    > > Personally, I'd ride them!! You have a truly classic pair of wheels. If
    > > you're not confident about glue (and it's really not rocket science, you
    > > know - be daring!) find someone who sells tub tape. If they're unridden

    > and
    > > the spokes aren't too rusty (chrome??), you shouldn't have any problems

    at
    > > all. They're a very tough pair of wheels.
    > >
    > > However, if you're dead-set against tubs you may be best getting them
    > > rebuilt with HP rims. You'll need new spokes anyway, because the length

    > will
    > > pretty much certainly be different for any modern HP rim.
    > >
    > > It does seem a terrible shame to dismantle such gorgeous wheels, which
    > > anyone restoring an 80s road bike would die for. However, modern hubs

    are
    > > 130mm / 9 or 10 speed, and won't be particularly happy with your

    > Bottechia.
    > >
    > > Go on - live dangerously - give them a try. :)
    > >

    > The spokes look like new, as do the rims, just a bit of play in the front
    > hub.
    >
    > Is tub tape any good?
    >
    > New tires incorporate anti-puncture strips do modern tubs?
    >
    > George

    Just answering my own question.

    Had a look at Wiggle, seems that most manufacturers claim high puncture
    resistance especially for the more expensive tubs in their ranges.

    George

  6. Reyserf

    Reyserf Guest

    "JohnB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > Reyserf wrote:
    > >
    > > "Simon D" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]
    > > > "Reyserf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > > news:[email protected]

    > > wheels,

    would it
    > > > be

    (although
    > > they

    that

    > > > Personally, I'd ride them!! You have a truly classic pair of wheels.

    > > > It does seem a terrible shame to dismantle such gorgeous wheels, which
    > > > anyone restoring an 80s road bike would die for. However, modern hubs

    are
    > > > 130mm / 9 or 10 speed, and won't be particularly happy with your

    > > Bottechia.

    > > The spokes look like new, as do the rims, just a bit of play in the

    front
    > > hub.
    > >
    > > Is tub tape any good?

    > I have *exactly* the same set of wheels, little used sitting in the shed.
    > Campag Record hubs from the early 80's with GP4 rims, 28 spoked.
    >
    > They are terrific to ride but I know I should sell them, but won't.
    >
    > I'd use them if I were you; tubs have a special zing compared to HPs.
    > However, I'd avoid tub tape as if you puncture it tends to come off and
    > get tangled round your arms, legs, neck...
    >
    > Give the rims a layer of tub cement, let them dry, then another layer
    > before fitting the tub.
    >
    > Enjoy your ride, and fly :)
    >
    > John B

    OK I'll see how I get on.

    George

  7. Mike Sales

    Mike Sales Guest

    "Reyserf" < wrote in message
    > For some reason back in the 1980's I bought some handbuilt sprint wheels,
    > Campag Record on Mavic GP4's using DB spokes. Dispite the fact that I

    spent
    > what seemed like hours spinning the wheels admiring their oh so smooth
    > bearings and perfect alignment I never felt confident about my ability to
    > glue the tubs onto the rims, nor was I happy repairing punctures, so the
    > wheels soon ended up in the attic gathering dust.
    >
    > Thing is, I have got interested in cycling on the road again. I can use

    the
    > Bottechia frame which has also been resting in the attic but I still don't
    > fancy sprints & tubs.
    >
    > Should I try to sell the wheels on ebay and buy a new wheel set?
    > or
    > Should I get the wheels rebuilt with a 'wired on' rim? How easy would it

    be
    > to do this myself? Could I use both the hubs and the spokes (although they
    > have'nt been used for twenty years they have been under tension for that
    > time) and which rim could I use?
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > George

    Tubs are lovely to ride on. The wheels are right for the bike? I have four
    tubs only a year or two old which you can have for £5 each, tape thrown in.
    And instructions for fitting.
    Mike Sales.

  8. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Reyserf wrote:
    > Should I get the wheels rebuilt with a 'wired on' rim? How easy would
    > it be to do this myself? Could I use both the hubs and the spokes
    > (although they have'nt been used for twenty years they have been
    > under tension for that time) and which rim could I use?

    It would be fine to re-use the hubs and spokes if you wanted to. Rim
    transplants are dead easy (tape new rim besides wheel and swap spokes over
    one at a time) but you do need some wheel building skills to tension and
    true afterwards. Sorry I don't know which rim would suit for same length
    spokes.

    Note that some professional teams use clinchers nowdays -- that's how good
    they are now.

    ~PB