Sprint rims

Reyserf

Guest
For some reason back in the 1980's I bought some handbuilt sprint wheels,
Campag Record on Mavic GP4's using DB spokes. Dispite the fact that I spent
what seemed like hours spinning the wheels admiring their oh so smooth
bearings and perfect alignment I never felt confident about my ability to
glue the tubs onto the rims, nor was I happy repairing punctures, so the
wheels soon ended up in the attic gathering dust.

Thing is, I have got interested in cycling on the road again. I can use the
Bottechia frame which has also been resting in the attic but I still don't
fancy sprints & tubs.

Should I try to sell the wheels on ebay and buy a new wheel set?
or
Should I get the wheels rebuilt with a 'wired on' rim? How easy would it be
to do this myself? Could I use both the hubs and the spokes (although they
have'nt been used for twenty years they have been under tension for that
time) and which rim could I use?

Cheers

George

"Reyserf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> For some reason back in the 1980's I bought some handbuilt sprint wheels,
> Campag Record on Mavic GP4's using DB spokes. Dispite the fact that I

spent
> what seemed like hours spinning the wheels admiring their oh so smooth
> bearings and perfect alignment I never felt confident about my ability to
> glue the tubs onto the rims, nor was I happy repairing punctures, so the
> wheels soon ended up in the attic gathering dust.
>
> Thing is, I have got interested in cycling on the road again. I can use

the
> Bottechia frame which has also been resting in the attic but I still don't
> fancy sprints & tubs.
>
> Should I try to sell the wheels on ebay and buy a new wheel set?
> or
> Should I get the wheels rebuilt with a 'wired on' rim? How easy would it

be
> to do this myself? Could I use both the hubs and the spokes (although they
> have'nt been used for twenty years they have been under tension for that
> time) and which rim could I use?

Personally, I'd ride them!! You have a truly classic pair of wheels. If
you're not confident about glue (and it's really not rocket science, you
know - be daring!) find someone who sells tub tape. If they're unridden and
the spokes aren't too rusty (chrome??), you shouldn't have any problems at
all. They're a very tough pair of wheels.

However, if you're dead-set against tubs you may be best getting them
rebuilt with HP rims. You'll need new spokes anyway, because the length will
pretty much certainly be different for any modern HP rim.

It does seem a terrible shame to dismantle such gorgeous wheels, which
anyone restoring an 80s road bike would die for. However, modern hubs are
130mm / 9 or 10 speed, and won't be particularly happy with your Bottechia.

Go on - live dangerously - give them a try. :)

"Simon D" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Reyserf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > For some reason back in the 1980's I bought some handbuilt sprint

wheels,
> > Campag Record on Mavic GP4's using DB spokes. Dispite the fact that I

> spent
> > what seemed like hours spinning the wheels admiring their oh so smooth
> > bearings and perfect alignment I never felt confident about my ability

> > glue the tubs onto the rims, nor was I happy repairing punctures, so the
> > wheels soon ended up in the attic gathering dust.
> >
> > Thing is, I have got interested in cycling on the road again. I can use

> the
> > Bottechia frame which has also been resting in the attic but I still

don't
> > fancy sprints & tubs.
> >
> > Should I try to sell the wheels on ebay and buy a new wheel set?
> > or
> > Should I get the wheels rebuilt with a 'wired on' rim? How easy would it

> be
> > to do this myself? Could I use both the hubs and the spokes (although

they
> > have'nt been used for twenty years they have been under tension for that
> > time) and which rim could I use?

> Personally, I'd ride them!! You have a truly classic pair of wheels. If
> you're not confident about glue (and it's really not rocket science, you
> know - be daring!) find someone who sells tub tape. If they're unridden

and
> the spokes aren't too rusty (chrome??), you shouldn't have any problems at
> all. They're a very tough pair of wheels.
>
> However, if you're dead-set against tubs you may be best getting them
> rebuilt with HP rims. You'll need new spokes anyway, because the length

will
> pretty much certainly be different for any modern HP rim.
>
> It does seem a terrible shame to dismantle such gorgeous wheels, which
> anyone restoring an 80s road bike would die for. However, modern hubs are
> 130mm / 9 or 10 speed, and won't be particularly happy with your

Bottechia.

> Go on - live dangerously - give them a try. :)

The spokes look like new, as do the rims, just a bit of play in the front
hub.

Is tub tape any good?

New tires incorporate anti-puncture strips do modern tubs?

George

Reyserf wrote:

> "Simon D" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > "Reyserf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > For some reason back in the 1980's I bought some handbuilt sprint

> wheels,
> > > Campag Record on Mavic GP4's using DB spokes.
> > > Should I try to sell the wheels on ebay and buy a new wheel set?
> > > or
> > > Should I get the wheels rebuilt with a 'wired on' rim? How easy would it

> > be
> > > to do this myself? Could I use both the hubs and the spokes (although

> they
> > > have'nt been used for twenty years they have been under tension for that
> > > time) and which rim could I use?

> > Personally, I'd ride them!! You have a truly classic pair of wheels.

> > It does seem a terrible shame to dismantle such gorgeous wheels, which
> > anyone restoring an 80s road bike would die for. However, modern hubs are
> > 130mm / 9 or 10 speed, and won't be particularly happy with your

> Bottechia.

> The spokes look like new, as do the rims, just a bit of play in the front
> hub.
>
> Is tub tape any good?

I have *exactly* the same set of wheels, little used sitting in the shed.
Campag Record hubs from the early 80's with GP4 rims, 28 spoked.

They are terrific to ride but I know I should sell them, but won't.

I'd use them if I were you; tubs have a special zing compared to HPs.
However, I'd avoid tub tape as if you puncture it tends to come off and
get tangled round your arms, legs, neck...

Give the rims a layer of tub cement, let them dry, then another layer
before fitting the tub.

Enjoy your ride, and fly :)

John B

"Reyserf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Simon D" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > "Reyserf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > For some reason back in the 1980's I bought some handbuilt sprint

> wheels,
> > > Campag Record on Mavic GP4's using DB spokes. Dispite the fact that I

> > spent
> > > what seemed like hours spinning the wheels admiring their oh so smooth
> > > bearings and perfect alignment I never felt confident about my ability

> > > glue the tubs onto the rims, nor was I happy repairing punctures, so

the
> > > wheels soon ended up in the attic gathering dust.
> > >
> > > Thing is, I have got interested in cycling on the road again. I can

use
> > the
> > > Bottechia frame which has also been resting in the attic but I still

> don't
> > > fancy sprints & tubs.
> > >
> > > Should I try to sell the wheels on ebay and buy a new wheel set?
> > > or
> > > Should I get the wheels rebuilt with a 'wired on' rim? How easy would

it
> > be
> > > to do this myself? Could I use both the hubs and the spokes (although

> they
> > > have'nt been used for twenty years they have been under tension for

that
> > > time) and which rim could I use?

> > Personally, I'd ride them!! You have a truly classic pair of wheels. If
> > you're not confident about glue (and it's really not rocket science, you
> > know - be daring!) find someone who sells tub tape. If they're unridden

> and
> > the spokes aren't too rusty (chrome??), you shouldn't have any problems

at
> > all. They're a very tough pair of wheels.
> >
> > However, if you're dead-set against tubs you may be best getting them
> > rebuilt with HP rims. You'll need new spokes anyway, because the length

> will
> > pretty much certainly be different for any modern HP rim.
> >
> > It does seem a terrible shame to dismantle such gorgeous wheels, which
> > anyone restoring an 80s road bike would die for. However, modern hubs

are
> > 130mm / 9 or 10 speed, and won't be particularly happy with your

> Bottechia.
> >
> > Go on - live dangerously - give them a try. :)
> >

> The spokes look like new, as do the rims, just a bit of play in the front
> hub.
>
> Is tub tape any good?
>
> New tires incorporate anti-puncture strips do modern tubs?
>
> George

Just answering my own question.

Had a look at Wiggle, seems that most manufacturers claim high puncture
resistance especially for the more expensive tubs in their ranges.

George

"JohnB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Reyserf wrote:
> >
> > "Simon D" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > "Reyserf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]...

> > wheels,

would it
> > > be

(although
> > they

that

> > > Personally, I'd ride them!! You have a truly classic pair of wheels.

> > > It does seem a terrible shame to dismantle such gorgeous wheels, which
> > > anyone restoring an 80s road bike would die for. However, modern hubs

are
> > > 130mm / 9 or 10 speed, and won't be particularly happy with your

> > Bottechia.

> > The spokes look like new, as do the rims, just a bit of play in the

front
> > hub.
> >
> > Is tub tape any good?

> I have *exactly* the same set of wheels, little used sitting in the shed.
> Campag Record hubs from the early 80's with GP4 rims, 28 spoked.
>
> They are terrific to ride but I know I should sell them, but won't.
>
> I'd use them if I were you; tubs have a special zing compared to HPs.
> However, I'd avoid tub tape as if you puncture it tends to come off and
> get tangled round your arms, legs, neck...
>
> Give the rims a layer of tub cement, let them dry, then another layer
> before fitting the tub.
>
> Enjoy your ride, and fly :)
>
> John B

OK I'll see how I get on.

George

"Reyserf" < wrote in message
> For some reason back in the 1980's I bought some handbuilt sprint wheels,
> Campag Record on Mavic GP4's using DB spokes. Dispite the fact that I

spent
> what seemed like hours spinning the wheels admiring their oh so smooth
> bearings and perfect alignment I never felt confident about my ability to
> glue the tubs onto the rims, nor was I happy repairing punctures, so the
> wheels soon ended up in the attic gathering dust.
>
> Thing is, I have got interested in cycling on the road again. I can use

the
> Bottechia frame which has also been resting in the attic but I still don't
> fancy sprints & tubs.
>
> Should I try to sell the wheels on ebay and buy a new wheel set?
> or
> Should I get the wheels rebuilt with a 'wired on' rim? How easy would it

be
> to do this myself? Could I use both the hubs and the spokes (although they
> have'nt been used for twenty years they have been under tension for that
> time) and which rim could I use?
>
> Cheers
>
> George

Tubs are lovely to ride on. The wheels are right for the bike? I have four
tubs only a year or two old which you can have for £5 each, tape thrown in.
And instructions for fitting.
Mike Sales.

Reyserf wrote:
> Should I get the wheels rebuilt with a 'wired on' rim? How easy would
> it be to do this myself? Could I use both the hubs and the spokes
> (although they have'nt been used for twenty years they have been
> under tension for that time) and which rim could I use?

It would be fine to re-use the hubs and spokes if you wanted to. Rim
transplants are dead easy (tape new rim besides wheel and swap spokes over
one at a time) but you do need some wheel building skills to tension and
true afterwards. Sorry I don't know which rim would suit for same length
spokes.

Note that some professional teams use clinchers nowdays -- that's how good
they are now.

~PB