Sprint Training/Top Speed

scartissue22

Mar 23, 2011
So basically i've been training my sprint for the past few weeks for a criterium held once a week through-out the summer here in New Zealand.

I've been told in the past that I have quite a fast sprint but really I want to find out how fast compared with other keen cyclists -
So my question is what is your top end speed without a lead out?

Currently my best WITHOUT a lead out is around 58-60 Kph/37mph
Best WITH a lead out is 66-67Kph/41mph

I'm 19 years old and have been into cycling for the past 14 months if it matters.

The way to win the sprint is to arrive at it with people who do not sprint as well as you do.

Show up, sit in, and sprint against the guys who are left. If you win, good.

If not, you need to come up with a way to get rid of the faster guys.

you will be faster overseas, our road chip is hash and robs speed. You are fast enough in NZ though. just position you self for the sprint and learn patience, the true sprint is only 100m long. use the last 3 laps to move in to a 3-4 position and hold it for the sprint.
john

the gradient of the road (even a +/-1%), a slight head/tailwind, barometric pressure, the tightness (aerodynamics) of your cycling clothing and wheels, the ebb and flow of the Atlantic tides, the very position of the sun along it's ecliptic (ok those last two are from the movie G.I. Jane and have nothing to do with this) all play a role in the speed you'll arrive at the finish line with and thusly that number should be taken with a grain of salt.

The ONLY way to find out how you compare, and furthermore to improve, is to do a lot of sprinting against others. The absolute best way to do this is to start riding on the track or to find a local, frequently set of recurring shorter races in your area, aka that wekly criterium series you mention. You may not know now, but you will know by the end of the summer.

Good luck!

ps. those are pretty good numbers btw.