Sprinter training

reedol

Mar 8, 2011
I was wondering if anyone could help me design a sprint training program. I'd like to incorporate specific cycling workouts, and weight lifting days. Id also love any tips you can give!

Hi Reedol,

Here's a couple of workouts you could do:

warm up
microbursts - 3 x 10min (5 min RI) - 15 sec on (hard), 15 sec off
cool down

this teaches you to turn on your fast twitch muscles for accelerations.

Another one you can do is decribed here - http://www.cyclingtipsblog.com/2009/07/cavs-perfect-sprint-technique/

Apart from that i suggest working on increasing power generally, doing some high cadence work, and do some uphill sprints to improve high end power.

Stowy

It's post Nationals for us here in NZ so my sprinters are in a maintenance phase..

Mon: Rest
Tue: Gym and 5-6 Standing Start Efforts over 200m with full recovery
Wed: 1-2 hours basic endurance
Thu: Gym and 5-6 30sec uphill efforts at ~100rpm
Fri: 1-2 hours basic endurance
Sat: Short Road Race or Crit, or Gym and 5-6 x 30-60sec progressive efforts starting at 120rpm and finishing tapped out with full recovery
Sun: 1-2 hours basic endurance

Fergs,

Good to see you posting again, it's been a while hasn't it? Hope all is well with you and yours...

I can only imagine how gut wrenchingly fecking 'orrible those Tuesday and Thursday efforts are. Memories of intervals less that 1 minute have faded into ancient history...

Well apart from being rather unfit my favourite ride across the hills that surround Christchurch is a little more bumpy than normal.

One of my crew "enjoying" his sprint training. Paid off, won his first NZ track title at the start of the month...

Originally Posted by fergie .

Well apart from being rather unfit my favourite ride across the hills that surround Christchurch is a little more bumpy than normal.

Nasty, hows your friends bike shop fairing these days? was he able consider rebuilding it?

fergie -> I may be giving away how weak my training regimen is but the bucket is for the vomit I expect. I have never reached that point even at weight lifting in my prime but wouldn't the legs give way before you need to hurl?

-js

Originally Posted by jsirabella .

... I have never reached that point even at weight lifting in my prime but wouldn't the legs give way before you need to hurl?
Good example of how gym work and bike training can differ. Try 120-150 reps all performed in a single minute at say 60% of your one rep max weight or on the bike just go out and establish new power records for 30 seconds or a minute by riding as hard as you can for those durations. That's the kind of stuff that makes riders hurl, if that doesn't get it try doing a set of six or eight such intervals with limited recovery.

Personally I've come close to needing the bucket a few times lately by standing up and killing the last thirty seconds to minute of a 1x60 Threshold effort, even 70 to 80 watts over FTP can really make the stomach spin at the tail end of a full hour. But it's funny my stomach is fine while I'm still full throttle, it's the moment I shut it down that I feel like hurling.

Everybody's different, but a lot of folks struggle to keep their breakfast down when doing hard AWC efforts.

YMMV,
-Dave

Originally Posted by daveryanwyoming .

Good example of how gym work and bike training can differ. Try 120-150 reps all performed in a single minute at say 60% of your one rep max weight or on the bike just go out and establish new power records for 30 seconds or a minute by riding as hard as you can for those durations. That's the kind of stuff that makes riders hurl, if that doesn't get it try doing a set of six or eight such intervals with limited recovery.

Personally I've come close to needing the bucket a few times lately by standing up and killing the last thirty seconds to minute of a 1x60 Threshold effort, even 70 to 80 watts over FTP can really make the stomach spin at the tail end of a full hour. But it's funny my stomach is fine while I'm still full throttle, it's the moment I shut it down that I feel like hurling.

Everybody's different, but a lot of folks struggle to keep their breakfast down when doing hard AWC efforts.

YMMV,
-Dave
Well... if you don't have a limited recovery time following that effort (ie doing short intervals like 30 seconds on, 30 seconds rest x 12) then don't ease off so fast. I used to find that going from a full out effort to ~just under threshold for about 10 seconds (which feels like a lifetime) helps lots with that. YMMV.

That said, I've not gone vomit inducingly hard in a long long time.

JS, yes thats the 'carrot catcher'. ;)

Originally Posted by swampy1970 .

Well... if you don't have a limited recovery time following that effort (ie doing short intervals like 30 seconds on, 30 seconds rest x 12) then don't ease off so fast. I used to find that going from a full out effort to ~just under threshold for about 10 seconds (which feels like a lifetime) helps lots with that. YMMV....
Good tip, I'm soooo ready to push that interval stop button and shut it down after riding the final stretch so hard but that makes sense to ramp it down a bit before shutting it down completely.

-Dave

It might help for roadies - but I think Fergies guy generates enough power in the sprints to light a small village and hence diverts about 90% of all blood to his leg. I'm guessing the barf bucket is required more frequently for him...

Yes but he didn't need to hurl in the middle of the Canterbury team pit after his Kilo at Nationals with several bins within staggering distance.

I think it was his way of giving something back to the team and was a spontaneous way of sharing the severity of the effort.

I blame the coach - shouldn't he have been standing there with said bucket? ;)

I had to rip the front disc out of his bike while he was in need of CPR and chuck it into my next riders bike so he could win the NZ title.

This one ****** me off, asked me to call lap times, said if he could comprehend my calls he wasn't going hard enough. As it was he could hear the commentator say he was down .6 going into the last lap, didn't spew and could still talk and stand after his winning 1.05.06 ride as a 16 year old. Laugh is on him, had to break 1:05 to qualify for Worlds.

Reactions: steve
dave/swampy -> I am not sure I want to try your experiment yet on how to hurl on the bike/gym but knowing me I will eventually make an excuse to somehow fit it in. The one good thing to report is I am back to sweating puddles. This week while away I found a gym bike with a watts read out. Not the most comfortable but boy I was sweating puddles. They are not as comfortable as they once were. I have been doing it in the office but never noticed as much till you get off the bike at the gym and your sneakers are flooded. Made for a tough week as you can imagine the odor was not pleasant. I was even worried as those puddles were getting close to the outlets! I think it might be cause I never did a pure L5 workout. I am still trying to get to my old 260. I think a 240 should happen soon enuf (I hope).

fergie -> That is some intense descriptions there. CPR? I would love to be on a crew on the sidelines to see what really happens as opposed on the couch looking at the tube.

-js

Accurate descriptions. Have seen some boys ride themselves into some pretty awful states at the end of a Kilo. My rider who won is a pursuiter so probably didn't go out as a hard as a pure sprinter would and didn't crack as much as Tayla who led the 1st 2.5 laps before dropping to 6th place.

In 1989 on the outdoor Kew Bowl Tony Graham was 4th rider from last and rode 1:06 and got off the bike staggered to the fence and vomited as he collapsed over it. Then it started raining and they said the entire event would be rerun the next morning. 12 hours later he rode 1:06 again and repeated his stagger over the fence spewing as he went down. 2 hours later he qualified 3rd in the Individual Pursuit in a 4:50.

Originally Posted by fergie .

In 1989 on the outdoor Kew Bowl Tony Graham was 4th rider from last and rode 1:06 and got off the bike staggered to the fence and vomited as he collapsed over it. Then it started raining and they said the entire event would be rerun the next morning. 12 hours later he rode 1:06 again and repeated his stagger over the fence spewing as he went down. 2 hours later he qualified 3rd in the Individual Pursuit in a 4:50.
Someone should do a study of Kilo riders to see if massive amounts of oxygen debt really does kill of brain cells.

JS - watching track racing is ace. If you're a sick SOB like me, then watching the Kilo is a must, especially the last two laps and the minute that follows. LOL I think I would rather chew on glass than have a second go at a kilo.

Why would one be silly enough to drink a gallon of anything at one sitting other than beer?