Sprinter vs. Motorist

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Doug Taylor, Jan 23, 2003.

  1. G.T.

    G.T. Guest

    Doug Taylor wrote:
    > In a fistfight:
    >
    > http://sport.iafrica.com/news/198594.htm

    What the hell is a gearlock? Sounds kind of nasty.

    Greg

  2. Jtn

    Jtn Guest

    sounds like he needs to do some heavy bag work. he likes to fight but cant hold up to the abuse it
    dishes back. hit the heavy bag and you at least get to enjoy kicking some jerkoffs ass......

  3. In article <Im0R9.1049$f[email protected]>, [email protected] says...

    >What the hell is a gearlock? Sounds kind of nasty.

    Probably an anti-theft device like "The Club".
    -----------------
    Alex __O _-\<,_ (_)/ (_)

  4. Ronald

    Ronald Guest

  5. Steve

    Steve Guest

  6. Jim Flom

    Jim Flom Guest

    >From: "G.T."
    >
    >What the hell is a gearlock? Sounds kind of nasty.

    According to my South African friend, a gearlock is a heavy club-like thing -- it's like a stearing
    wheel lock, but you use it on the gear lever. In the back country it's a better theft deterrent
    because people found out they can use liquid nitro to break steering wheel locks.

    JF

  7. >Subject: Re: Sprinter vs. Motorist From: [email protected] (Jim Flom) Date: 1/2/03 1:54 PM
    >Central Standard Time Message-id: <[email protected]>
    >
    >>From: "G.T."
    >>
    >>What the hell is a gearlock? Sounds kind of nasty.
    >
    >According to my South African friend, a gearlock is a heavy club-like thing
    >--
    >it's like a stearing wheel lock, but you use it on the gear lever. In the back country it's a
    >better theft deterrent because people found out they can use liquid nitro to break steering
    >wheel locks.
    >
    >JF

    or just use a $5 hacksaw to cut through the steering wheel.

    thanks, jason thug waddell

  8. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    A couple of small drops of nitro into the lock and a sharp smack with a hammer and POW and the lock
    is gone. Hardly louder than a firecracker and only takes about 3 seconds.

    "Jason Waddell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > >Subject: Re: Sprinter vs. Motorist From: [email protected] (Jim Flom) Date: 1/2/03 1:54
    > >PM Central Standard Time Message-id: <[email protected]>
    > >
    > >>From: "G.T."
    > >>
    > >>What the hell is a gearlock? Sounds kind of nasty.
    > >
    > >According to my South African friend, a gearlock is a heavy club-like
    thing
    > >--
    > >it's like a stearing wheel lock, but you use it on the gear lever. In
    the
    > >back country it's a better theft deterrent because people found out they can
    use
    > >liquid nitro to break steering wheel locks.
    > >
    > >JF
    >
    > or just use a $5 hacksaw to cut through the steering wheel.
    >
    > thanks, jason thug waddell

  9. Amit

    Amit Guest

    > A couple of small drops of nitro into the lock and a sharp smack with a hammer and POW and the
    > lock is gone. Hardly louder than a firecracker and only takes about 3 seconds.

    Have you seen this done ? I'd used a lot of liquid nitrogen as an undergrad, you can freeze anything
    plastic, rubber or organic and make it shatter, but I'd have a hard time believing you could break a
    steel lock this way.

    ...and "a couple small drops" isn't going to cool a piece of metal too much (you can pour a couple
    drops into your hand, just don't hold it). To cool something enough you have to dunk it in the
    liquid nitrogen.

    -Amit

  10. Amit

    Amit Guest

    > A couple of small drops of nitro into the lock and a sharp smack with a hammer and POW and the
    > lock is gone. Hardly louder than a firecracker and only takes about 3 seconds.

    Okay I did a search and found this:

    http://users.rcn.com/jandp.dnai/bikelock.html

    LN2 can help you break a lock, but not as easily as you imply. This method can't be used with thick
    hardened steel.

    -Amit

  11. Amit wrote:
    >>A couple of small drops of nitro into the lock
    >
    > To cool something enough you have to dunk it in the liquid nitrogen.

    Maybe he meant nitroglycerin.

  12. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    "Amit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > A couple of small drops of nitro into the lock and a sharp smack with a hammer and POW and the
    > > lock is gone. Hardly louder than a firecracker
    and
    > > only takes about 3 seconds.
    >
    > Have you seen this done ? I'd used a lot of liquid nitrogen as an undergrad, you can freeze
    > anything plastic, rubber or organic and make it shatter, but I'd have a hard time believing you
    > could break a steel lock this way.

    I saw it done on a safe for which the combination was lost many years ago. Liquid "nitro"? Are you
    talking about nitroglycerin like I am?