Sprinting solo speed

SniperX

Jan 29, 2003
Just wondering what you guys' max solo sprinting speed on flats are like ? I cant barely hit 50kmh ... is that bad? one of my frens mentioned that hitting 50 is suppose to be easy ? true?

Originally posted by SniperX
Just wondering what you guys' max solo sprinting speed on flats are like ? I cant barely hit 50kmh ... is that bad? one of my frens mentioned that hitting 50 is suppose to be easy ? true?
Its easy or hard depending on your fitnes level.

for me i get up to 50-55 and then start the sprint wich is up to 60kph solo

55-65kph depending on wind.

I'm not sure that speed matters that much. If you have a big tail wind and a nice bit of road 70kph+ would be possible, but turn around and sprint the other way and you might be lucky to hit 45kph.

cheers!

from the looks of it .. 50 is supposed to be " easy " =| and i cant seem to hit it ... wonder if its the always present slight headwind stopping my acceleration though

The speed that you ride at is dependent upon so many factors... it's really hard to say whether 50km/hr should or should not be possible for you.

What actually matters is whether or not you outsprint your rivals at the end of a race. I've won a bunch sprint at about 25 - 30 km/hr, but it was up a biggish hill. On the other hand i've been at the back at ~ 70 km/hr on a downhill sprint.

Thus the terrain that you ride on, along with any local environmental conditions will have a mjor effect on your speed. This is why you'll often see people quote a peak power for sprinting ability (e.g., 800 - 1200 W) and often this will be quoted as a power to mass ratio, to put things into perspective.

However, if you are struggling in the sprints in races, then some dedicated sprint training is what you'll need to include in your training (e.g., five x 10-secs, starting from [almost] stationary, in a very low gear ~ 42 x 19, whilst remaining seated, with a *LONG* recovery period between each interval > 20-mins). On top of this you'll also need to practive techniques, such as holding a wheel at high speed, and coming off a wheel to make a dash for the line, etc. Sprint technique is crucial.

Ric

I would agree with Ric on the 42/19 stationary or near stationary start to develop leg speed and muscle firing.

In relation to your top speed development, you may be wasting your energy getting to 45+ kph and therefore maxing out around 50 kph. This does not happen in a race where, if you are half smart, you will be towed to that speed.

To develop tha top end speed use a downhill leading on to a flat and allow gravity to take you to 45+ kph before hitting it on the flat for 10 seconds. All your energy and fresh power will be used to develop the sprint at the most important speed. You will possibly find higher top end speed as a result. If not, blame your parents! :)