Sprinting speed

Columbia

Nov 1, 2003
Just wondering what speeds senior racers get up to in a sprint.

I race at under 16 level and we have restricted gears (so our sprints are usually limited to about 33/34 MPH). But (just for kicks) I unrestricted my gearing for training yesterday to check what speed I could do.

On a dead flat road, with a 10MPH crosswind (although it was coming slightly from behind aswell) I went up to 39 MPH in a 52x12 gear.

I'm pretty sure thats not a bad speed, especially bearing in mind that I've only started doing sprints in training in the last three weeks (and only once a week since then).

One final question, will doing a lot of sprints hurt me on a climb? Will I put on a lot of weight in fast twitch muscle fibres?

Uh, no. You won't gain enough weight to ever show up on the scale. Anyone who tells you that you will is nuts.

More likely, you'll gain a modest amount of muscle mass from riding competitively, period. Unless you're a genetic freak, you will struggle to add mass anywhere else -- cycling hard takes up most of your recovery powers and energy.

You might be a fast-twitch type, which would make you a relatively weak climber anyway. But adding muscle from sprinting will definitely not be the cause of any poorer climbing.

OK, thanks. :)

I just asked because I'm a strong climber, and just noticed in the pro races on television that all the sprinters are very heavy, so I've been afraid of developing my sprint since I've started racing.

So, I guess I should step up my sprint training, watch out Mario, Allessandro and Robbie! :D

I'm not a big mph man being brought up on kph....

It would be a good idea if we could all post both mph & kph on this site to cater for all....

1 miles = 1.604km.

10 miles = 16.04km

20 miles = 32.08km

40 miles = 64.16km

On a dead flat road, with a 10MPH crosswind (although it was coming slightly from behind aswell) I went up to 39 MPH in a 52x12 gear.

Crikey, that's bloody fast..... I'm still at about the 50kph and I blow out....

Originally posted by Columbia
OK, thanks. :)

I just asked because I'm a strong climber, and just noticed in the pro races on television that all the sprinters are very heavy, so I've been afraid of developing my sprint since I've started racing.

So, I guess I should step up my sprint training, watch out Mario, Allessandro and Robbie! :D

McEwen is 171 cm tall and 66kg.

I'm 172 cm and 90 kg...

I'm going to model my training and weight goals on Robbie. I was 68kg when I got married... carrying too much muscle now as well as a higher than average BMI.

I even look like Robbie....

I hope his fall yesterday won't slow him down for the next few days. He has to get his green jersey back from O'Grady....

The tailwind makes a big difference if present, but 39 mph is very fast especially for somebody under 16. Heh, I could reach 30 mph and average 22 when I was 16,and a scrawny 60 kg, now I can probably get about the same as you in a sprint and sustain 27 mph at 77 kg.

Have you run 50/60/100/200 m dashes? What's your time there?

Yes, it was terrible what happened to Robbie yesterday (can anyone tell me were they ruled inside or outside the final kilometer?). Although he has already beaten O' Grady once for an intermediate sprint today, so he doesn't look too affected.

I did two sprints today (supposed to be a rest day, but what the heck :) ) in different directions on the same patch of road.

Both sprints were with crosswinds. The first time I maxed at 39.5 MPH (63.358 KPH - although I died a little before I got to the signpost I was sprinting for) and a little while later came back in the opposite direction, maxing out at 38 MPH (60.952 KPH).

Oh yeah, I then crashed moments after finishing my second sprint - I took a swig form my bottle (never close your eyes when taking a drink, no matter how tired you feel :) ) and drifted serenely off the side of the road :p definately something I should try to avoid in a race :) .

No, bikeguy, I've never done any of those. I assume they're all standing start, I'll give some of them a go in the next couple of days.

Scanlon for the white jersey!!!!! :)

McEwan was within the km so he has survived and not 10 minutes ago...this came through...

14 H 06 - McEwen Takes 3rd Place Points
The lead-out by the Cofidis team almost netted O'Grady the 2pts for third over the line at the 2nd intermediate sprint. But McEwen was right on the wheel of his compatriot and, despite being heavily bandaged after yesterday's crash, the Lotto rider claimed third at the sprint in Montfort-sur-Meu.
McEwen and O'Grady now share the lead of the sprint classification with 115pts each.

Live updates here!

McEwan has also beaten O'Grady in the third sprint. So he now leads the Green jersey classment by two points.

Columbia, I'm referring to running sprint dashes, with just your feet, but on the bike would be interesting too. Oh yeah, drifting off the side of the road at 60 km/h can be fatal.. jeez.. pay attention! Anyway, I'm one to talk as I crashed on Thursday at a mere 25 km/hr, but I endoed and head planted into the asphalt and I wasn't wearing a helmet, I was trying to avoid smashing into another cyclist on the wrong side of the bike path.

Amen to avoiding crashes. -Bikeguy

Oh, running...no I wont be doing that then. The only run I ever did was 1 KM and it took me 4 minutes 2 seconds (although 1 kilo is probably not much use if I'm trying to judge my sprint).

I didn't actually go down at 60 KPH. I'd been freewheeling for a few seconds. Then I grabbed my bottle and as I took a drink I sort of threw my head back and closed my eyes. All of a sudden I could feel that my bike was on gravel. As I looked down, the bike slid to one side leaving nothing but a quickly disappearing patch of air between me and the ground. I reckon I must have gone at about 40 KPH. I was really lucky - like you, I dont wear a helmet, but today (just because I was afraid of sprinting in relatively strong crosswinds) I wore it, and I smashed it up pretty bad too.

Note, if ever you have a choice between going down in gravel or tarmac, choose tarmac. :)

Columbia said:
Just wondering what speeds senior racers get up to in a sprint.

I race at under 16 level and we have restricted gears (so our sprints are usually limited to about 33/34 MPH).

the other afternoon i went out, and after a very steep climb i was overtaken by some maniac on his bike that i decided, i was going to race and keep up with him, On occassions i was drafting off him and tucking up, but we where both achieving between 43 -43.9mph that was with 53x12 wouldn't say it was flat but after that alone i was retaining 30 - 39mph on vertially flat roads with haedwinds, however i do draft of wagon and cars since most the time it is windy and never really perfect wind conditions, does that make me fast. :)

cause i was darn pleased with that for days i love sprinting however, just never done it competatively or on a track.