Sprinting With Mopeds

Carrera

Feb 2, 2004
Today I did something that surprised me. I was cycling back from work at 6.00 a.m. and drew level with a guy on a moped at a bridge. As I waited for the lights to change, I figured it would be a challenge to see if I could keep pace with the moped.
Soon as the lights turned green, he pulled back the throttle and took off. I myself pedaled like crazy on a big cog and gave it all I had on the flat.
Amazingly I kept pace with the moped and was hitting a blinding speed. However, I could only keep it up for a little under 5 minutes and the moped slowly opened a gap and faded away.
When I got home in double time, I was pouring with sweat.
So, has anyone else ever tried to keep pace with a moped? Being paced is a perfect way to hit your max speed.

Yeh one time I had a moped pass me and then slow down a little so I could pace off him. Lots of fun.

Next time you stop at the lights and a dump truck pulls up along side of you - try pacing off that. You'll be doing 30 mph on the flats. Even more fun.

PW

pwebster said:
Next time you stop at the lights and a dump truck pulls up along side of you - try pacing off that. You'll be doing 30 mph on the flats. Even more fun.
How long can someone do that before the black-lung and CO poisoning sets in? ;)

frenchyge said:
How long can someone do that before the black-lung and CO poisoning sets in? ;)
And I thought I was at my anaerobic threshold, but it was just CO poisoning.

On a ride a little while ago I came across a bus. Well it was a coach so it didn't stop at all and I kept on its tail at 50 kph up a hill for about 800m. I tried the same hill again just recently and was bloody hard. I started loosing it towards the end and lost it over the top, I'm not really that fit at the moment so I was quite proud:)