Sprocket chain slip during shift with Biopace Chainring

Status
Not open for further replies.

meb

Aug 21, 2003
I installed a 53T Biopace Chainring on my Vision mwb Recumbent.

I am now seeing intermitten chain slip during shifts to the smaller two sprockets (It is certainly not a chain tension issue as I still need add links making up for the larger 53T sprocket-that is a separate issue currently precluding larger sprocket use that might amplify this problem when the links are finally added).

I suspect it may relate to intermittent chain tension or chainspeed due the Biopace manifesting itself with the smaller sprockets (14 & 12) due fewer sprocket teeth engaged.

I have not ruled out some Biopace induced chain slop on the longer recumbent chain but the small chain slop on the rear der feed portion of the loop is insulated with the deraileur and tensioner, there is a straight path between the sprocket and chainring on the tension side of the chainloop.

Assuming the first hypothesis are what is occuring, is there a technique using a particular crank position during shifts for avoiding slipping?

Is backing off and not powershifting a/the remedy?

Do any Biopace cycling veterans have any other techniques for avoiding this problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.