Sprocket noise

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Derk, Jun 28, 2003.

  1. Derk

    Derk Guest

    H!

    I built up my Merckx MX Leader with a Dura-Ace group and Ksyrium wheels.

    When I turn the cranks around, I clearly hear that especially on the 53/16 combination (13-23
    cassette), the system makes noise. I hear a ticking sound when the chain is on the 16 sprocket.

    Any ideas what could cause this?

    TIA! Derk

    Tags:

  2. i hate spam-<< I built up my Merckx MX Leader with a Dura-Ace group and Ksyrium wheels.

    When I turn the cranks around, I clearly hear that especially on the 53/16 combination (13-23
    cassette), the system makes noise. I hear a ticking sound when the chain is on the 16 sprocket.

    Any ideas what could cause this? >><BR><BR>

    bent teeth on the 16t?

  3. Wiscottsin

    Wiscottsin Guest

    "Derk" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > H!
    >
    > I built up my Merckx MX Leader with a Dura-Ace group and Ksyrium wheels.
    >
    > When I turn the cranks around, I clearly hear that especially on the 53/16 combination (13-23
    > cassette), the system makes noise. I hear a ticking sound when the chain is on the 16 sprocket.
    >
    > Any ideas what could cause this?

    Many possible causes:

    Improperly adjusted derailleur Bent derailleur hanger/cage Bent tooth on 16t cog Bad chainline
    Misaligned rear triangle

    Did you (or a shop) check the frame/dropout/der. hangar alignment with the proper frame alignment
    tools before you built up the bike?

  4. Derk

    Derk Guest

    WiScottsin wrote:
    > Improperly adjusted derailleur Bent derailleur hanger/cage Bent tooth on 16t cog Bad chainline
    > Misaligned rear triangle
    >
    > Did you (or a shop) check the frame/dropout/der. hangar alignment with the proper frame alignment
    > tools before you built up the bike?
    I wish I had those!

    I get the feeling it comes from the Ksyrium Elite wheel. I put this wheel in another bike and I
    heard the same noise on another one of my bikes. I can see that the whole cassette slightly wiglles
    while it turns around. YEs, I tightened the cassette well.

    Anyone ever heard of misaligned bodies on brand new wheels?

    Greets, Derk

  5. Wiscottsin

    Wiscottsin Guest

    "Derk" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > WiScottsin wrote:
    > > Improperly adjusted derailleur Bent derailleur hanger/cage Bent tooth on 16t cog Bad chainline
    > > Misaligned rear triangle
    > >
    > > Did you (or a shop) check the frame/dropout/der. hangar alignment with
    the
    > > proper frame alignment tools before you built up the bike?
    > I wish I had those!
    >
    > I get the feeling it comes from the Ksyrium Elite wheel. I put this wheel
    in
    > another bike and I heard the same noise on another one of my bikes. I can see that the whole
    > cassette slightly wiglles while it turns around. YEs, I tightened the cassette well.
    >
    > Anyone ever heard of misaligned bodies on brand new wheels?

    Actually, just about all Shimano cassetes have a little "wobble" to them, it is especially
    noticeable if you spin the rear wheel and watch the cassete while the wheel is freewheeling. This
    seems to be the case even with high end Dura-Ace and XTR bodies.

    Have you tried switching cassettes on the same wheel/same bike?

  6. Derk

    Derk Guest

    WiScottsin wrote:
    > Actually, just about all Shimano cassetes have a little "wobble" to them,
    It's not in the cassette, but it was the body on the Ksyrium. I had it changed this morning. It's
    now less, but I still hear a slight noise on the 15 cog.

    > it is especially noticeable if you spin the rear wheel and watch the cassete
    I noticed, but the whole body did this...

    > while the wheel is freewheeling. This seems to be the case even with high end Dura-Ace and XTR
    > bodies. Have you tried switching cassettes on the same wheel/same bike?
    Actually I have:with another 13-23 cassette I heard a similar noise, but on another cog. It was less
    noticeable, though......Strange!

    Greets, Derk

  7. Appkiller

    Appkiller Guest

    Derk <[email protected]pam.nl> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > H!
    >
    > I built up my Merckx MX Leader with a Dura-Ace group and Ksyrium wheels.
    >
    > When I turn the cranks around, I clearly hear that especially on the 53/16 combination (13-23
    > cassette), the system makes noise. I hear a ticking sound when the chain is on the 16 sprocket.
    >
    > Any ideas what could cause this?
    >
    > TIA! Derk

    Derk:

    Didn't you recently dump your Campagnolo for Shimano? Perhaps that could be the source of your
    problem ;-).

    App