Spurn Point



M

Mike the caver

Guest
Hi all

I understansd you cannot drive to the extremity of Spurn Point... but can you reach it on a
push bike?

Mike Mike

Pull out the "STOP" to reply by email
 
C

Chris Street

Guest
On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 19:24:57 GMT, [email protected] (Mike the
caver) wrote:

>Hi all
>
>I understansd you cannot drive to the extremity of Spurn Point... but can you reach it on a
>push bike?

Yes unless it's very stormy. Be advised that it's a nature reserve - you certainly have to pay if
you arrive by car, but I dunno if that's just for the carpark or actually for entry.

>
>Mike Mike
>
>Pull out the "STOP" to reply by email

--
79.84% of all statistics are made up on the spot. The other 42% are made up later on. In Warwick -
looking at flat fields and that includes the castle.
 
N

Nick Pedley

Guest
"Mike the caver" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi all
>
> I understansd you cannot drive to the extremity of Spurn Point... but can you reach it on a
> push bike?
>
> Mike

You can pay a toll to drive to the lifeboat pier near the end and then fight your way thru the
bushes and brambles on the old coastal defence fort (mostly ruins) to reach the very end. You might
be able to walk along the beach at low tide too. Therefore you should be able to cycle to the end.
IIRC the toll money goes to the Nature Reserve group who take care of the area.

Nick
 
C

Chris Gilbert

Guest
Nick Pedley wrote

> fight your way thru the bushes and brambles on the old coastal defence fort (mostly ruins) to
> reach the very end. You might be able to walk along the beach at low tide too.

It's easiest to drop straight down onto the beach next to the pilot's pier and make your way 'round
to the point than try and find a way through the undergrowth. Sitting at the end and watching the
boats glide by is a great experience. I must admit that I wouldn't want to cycle along the access
road as it can get very busy with traffic. Parking up at Kilnsea and walking the full length of the
bar is a great experience.

Chris
 
N

Nick Pedley

Guest
"Chris Gilbert" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Nick Pedley wrote
>
> > fight your way thru the bushes and brambles on the old coastal defence fort (mostly ruins) to
> > reach the very end. You might be able to walk along
the
> > beach at low tide too.
>
> It's easiest to drop straight down onto the beach next to the pilot's pier and make your way
> 'round to the point than try and find a way through the undergrowth. Sitting at the end and
> watching the boats glide by is a great experience. I must admit that I wouldn't want to cycle
> along the access road as it can get very busy with traffic. Parking up at Kilnsea and walking the
> full length of the bar is a great experience.
>
> Chris

That's what I thought when I went there last year but the clouds looked a bit dark, stormy and
threatening so I drove to the end! I think there's a path you could cycle down away from the road
itself. You also need to go in season if you want to eat lunch at the cafes at either Kilnsea or on
the point.

Nick
 
N

Nigel

Guest
On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 19:24:57 GMT, [email protected] (Mike the
caver) wrote:

>Hi all
>
>I understansd you cannot drive to the extremity of Spurn Point... but can you reach it on a
>push bike?
>
>Mike Mike
>
>Pull out the "STOP" to reply by email
>
Hi Mike,

In response to your question, you can drive most of the way along the Spurn Spithead, to within a
few hundred metres of the very tip. Towards the end on the right-hand side is an old disused
lighthouse, with a water tank on top of it. This is roughly where the carpark is. From here you will
see a long jetty that serves as access to the Humber Lifeboat and Spurn Pilot Station, at low water
you can walk right around the spit, its a sandy beach.

There is a charge levied on motorists (was about £2) you cannot take dogs onto Spurn Head, not even
if they don't leave the car.

Spurn Head is a strange and fascinating place and well worth the long drive or detour to reach it.
Its feels most strange parking your car at the end and then seeing huge ocean going ships
manoevouring so close to you. The Bull Sand & Haile Forts can also be viewed from the point.

I hope you enjoy your visit to this place.

Nigel
 
C

Chris Gilbert

Guest
Nick Pedley wrote

> I think there's a path you could cycle down away from the road itself.

There is a path but it's definitely a footpath. It criss-crosses the road somewhat. Inevitable given
the width of the point, which is quite narrow in places. Also, the path crosses quite soft sand in
parts, which would be quite difficult to cycle in. It also crosses a few stiles.

> You also need to go in season if you want to eat lunch at the cafes at either Kilnsea or on
> the point.

If you can get a seat ;-)

Chris
 
G

Gwyn

Guest
On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 19:24:57 GMT, [email protected] (Mike the
caver) wrote:

>Hi all
>
>I understansd you cannot drive to the extremity of Spurn
>Point... but can you reach it on a push bike?

There is a road which runs the whole length of Spurn Spit
but there is a toll for taking your car down. The spit at
the point where it leaves the mainland has been breached a
few times but they keep redoing the road. There has been
talk of putting a movable block type road there and keep
putting it back when they get moved by a high tide but I
suppose nature will eventually get her way and this
peninsula will become an island,