Spurn Point

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Mike the caver, Mar 1, 2004.

  1. Hi all

    I understansd you cannot drive to the extremity of Spurn Point... but can you reach it on a
    push bike?

    Mike Mike

    Pull out the "STOP" to reply by email

    Tags:

  2. On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 19:24:57 GMT, [email protected] (Mike the
    caver) wrote:

    >can you reach it on a push bike?

    Yes

  3. Chris Street

    Chris Street Guest

    caver) wrote:

    >Hi all
    >
    >I understansd you cannot drive to the extremity of Spurn Point... but can you reach it on a
    >push bike?

    Yes unless it's very stormy. Be advised that it's a nature reserve - you certainly have to pay if
    you arrive by car, but I dunno if that's just for the carpark or actually for entry.

    --
    79.84% of all statistics are made up on the spot. The other 42% are made up later on. In Warwick -
    looking at flat fields and that includes the castle.

  4. Nick Pedley

    Nick Pedley Guest

    "Mike the caver" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi all
    >
    > I understansd you cannot drive to the extremity of Spurn Point... but can you reach it on a
    > push bike?
    >
    > Mike

    You can pay a toll to drive to the lifeboat pier near the end and then fight your way thru the
    bushes and brambles on the old coastal defence fort (mostly ruins) to reach the very end. You might
    be able to walk along the beach at low tide too. Therefore you should be able to cycle to the end.
    IIRC the toll money goes to the Nature Reserve group who take care of the area.

    Nick

  5. Nick Pedley wrote

    > fight your way thru the bushes and brambles on the old coastal defence fort (mostly ruins) to
    > reach the very end. You might be able to walk along the beach at low tide too.

    It's easiest to drop straight down onto the beach next to the pilot's pier and make your way 'round
    to the point than try and find a way through the undergrowth. Sitting at the end and watching the
    boats glide by is a great experience. I must admit that I wouldn't want to cycle along the access
    road as it can get very busy with traffic. Parking up at Kilnsea and walking the full length of the
    bar is a great experience.

    Chris

  6. Nick Pedley

    Nick Pedley Guest

    "Chris Gilbert" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Nick Pedley wrote
    >
    > > fight your way thru the bushes and brambles on the old coastal defence fort (mostly ruins) to
    > > reach the very end. You might be able to walk along
    the
    > > beach at low tide too.
    >
    > It's easiest to drop straight down onto the beach next to the pilot's pier and make your way
    > 'round to the point than try and find a way through the undergrowth. Sitting at the end and
    > watching the boats glide by is a great experience. I must admit that I wouldn't want to cycle
    > along the access road as it can get very busy with traffic. Parking up at Kilnsea and walking the
    > full length of the bar is a great experience.
    >
    > Chris

    That's what I thought when I went there last year but the clouds looked a bit dark, stormy and
    threatening so I drove to the end! I think there's a path you could cycle down away from the road
    itself. You also need to go in season if you want to eat lunch at the cafes at either Kilnsea or on
    the point.

    Nick

  7. Nigel

    Nigel Guest

    caver) wrote:

    >Hi all
    >
    >I understansd you cannot drive to the extremity of Spurn Point... but can you reach it on a
    >push bike?
    >
    >Mike Mike
    >
    >Pull out the "STOP" to reply by email

    Hi Mike,

    few hundred metres of the very tip. Towards the end on the right-hand side is an old disused
    lighthouse, with a water tank on top of it. This is roughly where the carpark is. From here you will
    see a long jetty that serves as access to the Humber Lifeboat and Spurn Pilot Station, at low water
    you can walk right around the spit, its a sandy beach.

    There is a charge levied on motorists (was about £2) you cannot take dogs onto Spurn Head, not even
    if they don't leave the car.

    Spurn Head is a strange and fascinating place and well worth the long drive or detour to reach it.
    Its feels most strange parking your car at the end and then seeing huge ocean going ships
    manoevouring so close to you. The Bull Sand & Haile Forts can also be viewed from the point.

    I hope you enjoy your visit to this place.

    Nigel

  8. Nick Pedley wrote

    > I think there's a path you could cycle down away from the road itself.

    There is a path but it's definitely a footpath. It criss-crosses the road somewhat. Inevitable given
    the width of the point, which is quite narrow in places. Also, the path crosses quite soft sand in
    parts, which would be quite difficult to cycle in. It also crosses a few stiles.

    > You also need to go in season if you want to eat lunch at the cafes at either Kilnsea or on
    > the point.

    If you can get a seat ;-)

    Chris

  9. Gwyn

    Gwyn Guest

    caver) wrote:

    >Hi all
    >
    >I understansd you cannot drive to the extremity of Spurn
    >Point... but can you reach it on a push bike?

    There is a road which runs the whole length of Spurn Spit
    but there is a toll for taking your car down. The spit at
    the point where it leaves the mainland has been breached a
    few times but they keep redoing the road. There has been
    talk of putting a movable block type road there and keep
    putting it back when they get moved by a high tide but I
    suppose nature will eventually get her way and this
    peninsula will become an island,