square BB axles....slightly different?

So it is. Duh. Many thanks. I'll take one! (& This will also work with that
Veloce 2006 Jim Higson found, yes?
http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/details.asp?D=P&Cat=CHAINSETS&Section=CHAR&GenCode=CAMPCHAR0650

or, for that matter, that ebay beastie,

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....MEWA:IT&viewitem=&item=220072073182&rd=1&rd=1

should its price remain vaguely tethered to the real world...

I shall assume so less'un I hear otherwise. Forgive me if I've failed to
register something that should be clear to a half-****** sloth, but I am
trying to keep up.

Thanks all

Alan
"Rob Morley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
In article <[email protected]>, AP
[email protected] says...
> Thanks for all messages - much appreciated. Wish me luck!
> "Rob Morley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, AP
> [email protected] says...
> > So, perhaps this...
> >
> > http://www.cyclingbargains.com/product_info.php?cPath=6&products_id=96
> >

> What's wrong with the £1.50 one from Ribble?
>
> It's British thread - I need Italian.

The one I'm looking at is Italian IT70-111mm

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/details.asp?D=&=&GenCode=CAMPBTBR0200

AP wrote:

> So it is. Duh. Many thanks. I'll take one! (& This will also work with
> that Veloce 2006 Jim Higson found, yes?

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/details.asp?D=P&Cat=CHAINSETS&Section=CHAR&GenCode=CAMPCHAR0650

Yep, fine.

> or, for that matter, that ebay beastie,

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....MEWA:IT&viewitem=&item=220072073182&rd=1&rd=1

Should also be fine, unless the square taper bit has worn away over time, in
which case it might come loose.

If it has been properly fitted, though, that shouldn't happen.

Thanks. Wish me luck! (ooh, it's so egg-siting!)
"Jim Higson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> AP wrote:
>
>> So it is. Duh. Many thanks. I'll take one! (& This will also work with
>> that Veloce 2006 Jim Higson found, yes?
>>

> http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/details.asp?D=P&Cat=CHAINSETS&Section=CHAR&GenCode=CAMPCHAR0650
>
> Yep, fine.
>
>> or, for that matter, that ebay beastie,
>>

> http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....MEWA:IT&viewitem=&item=220072073182&rd=1&rd=1
>
> Should also be fine, unless the square taper bit has worn away over time,
> in
> which case it might come loose.
>
> If it has been properly fitted, though, that shouldn't happen.

Lost the ebay one - went for £15 in the end. So what if anything is the
problem with this one:
http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/details.asp?D=P&Cat=CHAINSETS&Section=CHAR&GenCode=CAMPCHAR0650

How come it's so cheap? Is it really heavy? Or is it just that people don't
want these kind of things anymore (like the Italian-thread bottom bracvket
for £1.50) and the sellers just want to get shot of them? £20-odd just seems
awful low for that much Campagnolo metal.
"Jim Higson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> AP wrote:
>
> > So it is. Duh. Many thanks. I'll take one! (& This will also work with
> > that Veloce 2006 Jim Higson found, yes?

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/details.asp?D=P&Cat=CHAINSETS&Section=CHAR&GenCode=CAMPCHAR0650

> Yep, fine.
>
> > or, for that matter, that ebay beastie,

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....MEWA:IT&viewitem=&item=220072073182&rd=1&rd=1

> Should also be fine, unless the square taper bit has worn away over time,

in
> which case it might come loose.
>
> If it has been properly fitted, though, that shouldn't happen.

in message <[email protected]>, AP
('[email protected]') wrote:

> Lost the ebay one - went for £15 in the end. So what if anything is the
> problem with this one:

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/details.asp?D=P&Cat=CHAINSETS&Section=CHAR&GenCode=CAMPCHAR0650

> How come it's so cheap? Is it really heavy? Or is it just that people
> don't want these kind of things anymore (like the Italian-thread bottom
> bracvket for £1.50) and the sellers just want to get shot of them?
> £20-odd just seems awful low for that much Campagnolo metal.

Campagnolo are changing how their bottom brackets work - following Shimano
to hollow axles and outboard bearings. I honestly am not sure I see the
reason, I don't know anyone who thinks old-style Campag BBs are
unreliable. But retailers are left with a lot of old stock and they're
unloading it just now.

There's nothing wrong with Veloce. The weight quoted for the Veloce part is
662g, compared to 660g for the equivalent Centaur or 653g for the
top-of-the-range Record (although the carbon versions of the Centaur,
Chorus and Record chainsets are lighter).

[ Disclaimer: This is a work displacement exercise. Please feel free ]
[ to reply either on or off group. Expect lengthy replies until the ]
[ deadline has passed. Thank-you for your cooperation. ]

AP wrote:
> Lost the ebay one - went for £15 in the end. So what if anything is
> the problem with this one:
> http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/details.asp?D=P&Cat=CHAINSETS&Section=CHAR&GenCode=CAMPCHAR0650
>
> How come it's so cheap? Is it really heavy? Or is it just that people
> don't want these kind of things anymore (like the Italian-thread
> bottom bracvket for £1.50) and the sellers just want to get shot of
> them?

I suspect Ribble are using it as a loss leader, in addition to the other
reasons mentioned already.

The Veloce chainset is no heavier than the "vintage" one you were hoping to
buy, or the Centaur equivalent. The rings aren't the best quality --
pressed instead of forged and machined (may not last quite as long and look
dull and cheap) -- but they're OK. In fact they mesh and shift very well
indeed.

~PB

Simon Brooke wrote:
> Campagnolo are changing how their bottom brackets work - following
> Shimano to hollow axles and outboard bearings. I honestly am not sure
> I see the reason, I don't know anyone who thinks old-style Campag BBs
> are unreliable. But retailers are left with a lot of old stock and
> they're unloading it just now.

The new design with integrated axle is lighter than the combo of crankset &
separate BB. That's the main reason, that's what sells. They claim it's
stiffer and easier to fit as well.

~PB

Pete Biggs wrote:

> AP wrote:

> I suspect Ribble are using it as a loss leader, in addition to the other
> reasons mentioned already.
>
> The Veloce chainset is no heavier than the "vintage" one you were hoping
> buy, or the Centaur equivalent.

> The rings aren't the best quality --
> pressed instead of forged and machined (may not last quite as long and
> look dull and cheap)

About the longevity of the rings: if this is a concern, buy two, use the
second one just for spare rings and sell the spare cranks for a tenner on
eBay. You probably won't see them at this price again for a long time.

The price is really very good. I spent more than that the last time I bought
a single chainring! Like others have said, they're clearing out last year's
stock now Campag have changed from the traditional square taper interface.

I can't personally recommend Ribble, having never used them, but their
prices on quite a few items seem very good.

> -- but they're OK. In fact they mesh and shift very well
> indeed.
>
> ~PB

Many thanks all, as ever. I'm persuaded. Just went to buy 'em. I will
actually miss servicing my old bottom bracket - that's how sad *I* am - but
I'm sure I'll get over it in time. Thanks again.

Alan