Squeak! Squeak, I tell you! Squeak!

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Richard Adams, Nov 24, 2003.

  1. I've been getting a squeak while pedaling, standing or sitting. Seems to go away with considerable
    lubing of chain. Chain is Campy Record, chainrings are Chorus. Is this indication of wear? I know I
    should whip out and get a chainwear tool (since I just finished two long days in the saddle and it's
    piss weather I should swing by the LBS and grab one.) Rings look oke to my naked eye, but could this
    be indication of impending replacement?

    Tags:

  2. Harris

    Harris Guest

    Richard Adams <[email protected]> wrote:
    > I've been getting a squeak while pedaling, standing or sitting. Seems to go away with considerable
    > lubing of chain. Chain is Campy Record, chainrings are Chorus. Is this indication of wear? I know
    > I should whip out and get a chainwear tool (since I just finished two long days in the saddle and
    > it's piss weather I should swing by the LBS and grab one.) Rings look oke to my naked eye, but
    > could this be indication of impending replacement?

    What do you lube the chain with? White Lightning for one is known to result in squeaks after riding
    in the rain. Try motor oil or Prolink.

    Squeaking doesn't indicate wear. Measure your chain and when a 12" section "stretches" to 12-1/16"
    replace it. How many miles do you have on the bike? chain?

    BTW, are you sure the squeking isn't your (Look) cleats.

    Art Harris

  3. Stan Cox

    Stan Cox Guest

    Harris wrote:
    > Richard Adams <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>I've been getting a squeak while pedaling, standing or sitting. Seems to go away with considerable
    >>lubing of chain. Chain is Campy Record, chainrings are Chorus. Is this indication of wear? I know
    >>I should whip out and get a chainwear tool (since I just finished two long days in the saddle and
    >>it's piss weather I should swing by the LBS and grab one.) Rings look oke to my naked eye, but
    >>could this be indication of impending replacement?
    >

    > What do you lube the chain with? White Lightning for one is known to result in squeaks after
    > riding in the rain. Try motor oil or Prolink.
    >
    > Squeaking doesn't indicate wear. Measure your chain and when a 12" section "stretches" to 12-1/16"
    > replace it. How many miles do you have on the bike? chain?
    >
    > BTW, are you sure the squeking isn't your (Look) cleats.
    >
    > Art Harris

    Or indeed your Spd cleats. If the problem is Look cleats use furniture polish to cure, if Spd the a
    bit of chain lube on the cleats will do the trick.

    Stan Cox

  4. > I've been getting a squeak while pedaling, standing or sitting. Seems to go away with considerable
    > lubing of chain. Chain is Campy Record, chainrings are Chorus. Is this indication of wear? I know
    > I should whip out and get a chainwear tool (since I just finished two long days in the saddle and
    > it's piss weather I should swing by the LBS and grab one.) Rings look oke to my naked eye, but
    > could this be indication of impending replacement?

    Might not be related to the chain at all; in my case, it turned out to be a noisy upper jockey wheel
    on the rear derailleur. I actually thought I had a bird that was flying near me as I was climbing a
    hill. Really, that's what I though... chirp, chirp, chirp. Drove me nuts until I figured it out.

  5. Mike Jacoubowsky/Chain Reaction Bicycles wrote:

    >>I've been getting a squeak while pedaling, standing or sitting. Seems to go away with considerable
    >>lubing of chain. Chain is Campy Record, chainrings are Chorus. Is this indication of wear? I know
    >>I should whip out and get a chainwear tool (since I just finished two long days in the saddle and
    >>it's piss weather I should swing by the LBS and grab one.) Rings look oke to my naked eye, but
    >>could this be indication of impending replacement?
    >

    > Might not be related to the chain at all; in my case, it turned out to be a noisy upper jockey
    > wheel on the rear derailleur. I actually thought I had a bird that was flying near me as I was
    > climbing a hill. Really, that's what I though... chirp, chirp, chirp. Drove me nuts until I
    > figured it out.
    >
    > --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles www.ChainReaction.com

    Interval is too long to be a jockey wheel, but is regular. I've been using White Lightning and I've
    noticed it doesn't really seem to get into the links when it's cold out. Might be the wax is more
    suited to warmer weather? It's been 45-55 on my rides. No squeaks today, but the chain did seem
    rather noisy for having just had a liberal lube to start the ride.

  6. Harris wrote:

    > Richard Adams <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>I've been getting a squeak while pedaling, standing or sitting. Seems to go away with considerable
    >>lubing of chain. Chain is Campy Record, chainrings are Chorus. Is this indication of wear? I know
    >>I should whip out and get a chainwear tool (since I just finished two long days in the saddle and
    >>it's piss weather I should swing by the LBS and grab one.) Rings look oke to my naked eye, but
    >>could this be indication of impending replacement?
    >

    > What do you lube the chain with? White Lightning for one is known to result in squeaks after
    > riding in the rain. Try motor oil or Prolink.

    Using White Lightning, wipe down and lube before every ride. It doesn't appear the wax gets into the
    link very effectively with cooler temps, I'm wondering if that's the cause.

    > Squeaking doesn't indicate wear. Measure your chain and when a 12" section "stretches" to 12-1/16"
    > replace it. How many miles do you have on the bike? chain?

    Unsure, as it was used, but judging from the cassette, low miles.

    > BTW, are you sure the squeking isn't your (Look) cleats.

    Riding Speedplays and they've been recently oiled.

    > Art Harris

  7. Josh Gatts

    Josh Gatts Guest

    "Richard Adams" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > Interval is too long to be a jockey wheel, but is regular. I've been using White Lightning and
    > I've noticed it doesn't really seem to get into the links when it's cold out. Might be the wax is
    > more suited to warmer weather? It's been 45-55 on my rides. No squeaks today, but the chain did
    > seem rather noisy for having just had a liberal lube to start the ride.

    I don't want to start yet another chain lube flame war, but the cause of your squeaking is almost
    certainly White Lightning's lack of penetration. Try cleaning the wax off your chain and replacing
    it with a wet lube such as motor oil, tri-flow, or prolink.

    --Josh

  8. Stan Cox wrote:
    > Harris wrote:
    >>
    >> BTW, are you sure the squeking isn't your (Look) cleats.
    >
    > Or indeed your Spd cleats. If the problem is Look cleats use furniture polish to cure, if Spd the
    > a bit of chain lube on the cleats will do the trick.

    Indeed!

    My SPD cleats seem to need frequent lubing to stay quiet. Let them get dry and they make all kinds
    of clicks, creaks and squeaks. I use cheap automotive wheel bearing grease, just smear a little on
    with my finger. A little grease also makes entry and exit from the pedals very smooth, predictable
    and quiet. The difference is quite noticeable, and very nice.

    -- Andy Heninger