Squeak,Squeak ,Squeak

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Sam Salt, Feb 25, 2003.

  1. Sam Salt

    Sam Salt Guest

    I have not long had a new rear mech fitted,Deore LX.All was quiet at first but an annoying squeak
    has developed when changing into a larger sprocket.It is silent when going to a smaller sprocket,no
    noise at all.It is difficult to determine where exactly the squeak is coming from but it appears to
    arise from the cassette/chain itself rather than the mech.I have lubricated the mech,the chain
    (after a good clean ),sprayed some on the sprockets, and also squirted some down the cable but the
    squeak persists.It may not be anything to do with the new mech,in fact I don't think it is,but it is
    slowly getting on my nerves.The cassette is 8-speed MegaRange.It changes gear with no problem except
    for the squeak.Anyone any ideas please.

    Sam Salt

    Tags:

  2. Adam Dugmore

    Adam Dugmore Guest

    "Sam Salt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I have not long had a new rear mech fitted,Deore LX.All was quiet at first but an annoying squeak
    > has developed when changing into a larger
    sprocket.It
    > is silent when going to a smaller sprocket,no noise at all.It is difficult to determine where
    > exactly the squeak is coming from but it appears to
    arise
    > from the cassette/chain itself rather than the mech.I have lubricated the mech,the chain (after a
    > good clean ),sprayed some on the sprockets, and
    also
    > squirted some down the cable but the squeak persists.It may not be
    anything
    > to do with the new mech,in fact I don't think it is,but it is slowly
    getting
    > on my nerves.The cassette is 8-speed MegaRange.It changes gear with no problem except for the
    > squeak.Anyone any ideas please.
    >
    > Sam Salt

    It's probably your top jockey wheel. When they get dry they tend to squeak when you change gear one
    way or the other. The grease applied at the factory is minimal and if you've done much wet or muddy
    riding, it's probably been flushed out.

    Take it off, clean it and bung some fresh grease on it before reassembly.

    --
    Adam Dugmore

    Kona Explosif Honda CB500R - Much easier uphill

    Spamtrapped email

  3. Sam Salt

    Sam Salt Guest

    Thanks Adam will give it a go.