Squeak,Squeak ,Squeak

Sam Salt

Guest
I have not long had a new rear mech fitted,Deore LX.All was quiet at first but an annoying squeak
has developed when changing into a larger sprocket.It is silent when going to a smaller sprocket,no
noise at all.It is difficult to determine where exactly the squeak is coming from but it appears to
arise from the cassette/chain itself rather than the mech.I have lubricated the mech,the chain
(after a good clean ),sprayed some on the sprockets, and also squirted some down the cable but the
squeak persists.It may not be anything to do with the new mech,in fact I don't think it is,but it is
slowly getting on my nerves.The cassette is 8-speed MegaRange.It changes gear with no problem except
for the squeak.Anyone any ideas please.

Sam Salt

"Sam Salt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I have not long had a new rear mech fitted,Deore LX.All was quiet at first but an annoying squeak
> has developed when changing into a larger
sprocket.It
> is silent when going to a smaller sprocket,no noise at all.It is difficult to determine where
> exactly the squeak is coming from but it appears to
arise
> from the cassette/chain itself rather than the mech.I have lubricated the mech,the chain (after a
> good clean ),sprayed some on the sprockets, and
also
> squirted some down the cable but the squeak persists.It may not be
anything
> to do with the new mech,in fact I don't think it is,but it is slowly
getting
> on my nerves.The cassette is 8-speed MegaRange.It changes gear with no problem except for the
> squeak.Anyone any ideas please.
>
> Sam Salt

It's probably your top jockey wheel. When they get dry they tend to squeak when you change gear one
way or the other. The grease applied at the factory is minimal and if you've done much wet or muddy
riding, it's probably been flushed out.

Take it off, clean it and bung some fresh grease on it before reassembly.

--
Adam Dugmore

Kona Explosif Honda CB500R - Much easier uphill

Spamtrapped email

Thanks Adam will give it a go.

news:[email protected]...