Squeak, squeak, squeak

F

Fred Fragger

Just got back from the third outing on my new Marin Alpine Trail and I'm a little concerned about a
squeaking sound coming from the rear shock area. A mate tells me that it could be due to the shock
(X-Fusion 02 super air) being new and it will disappear once it's bedded-in. The sound started on
the second outing and is not getting worse, it also doesn't start immediately but 30 mins or so into
the ride which I can't figure. The sound also affects my street-cred on the trail! (should that be
trail-cred?)

The LBS set the rear shock at 210 but as I weigh 270 I upped it to 250 but that didn't make any
difference to the squeak - but I think it rode better.

Just ridden down a bridleway that resembled a ploughed field on the 6" setting and I'm still smiling
an hour later. Guess the hardtail is going to gather dust for a while.

Later,

Fred

Fred Fragger wrote:
> Just got back from the third outing on my new Marin Alpine Trail and I'm a little concerned about
> a squeaking sound coming from the rear shock area. A mate tells me that it could be due to the
> shock (X-Fusion 02 super air) being new and it will disappear once it's bedded-in. The sound
> started on the second outing and is not getting worse, it also doesn't start immediately but 30
> mins or so into the ride which I can't figure. The sound also affects my street-cred on the trail!
> (should that be trail-cred?)
>
> The LBS set the rear shock at 210 but as I weigh 270 I upped it to 250 but that didn't make any
> difference to the squeak - but I think it rode better.
>
> Just ridden down a bridleway that resembled a ploughed field on the 6" setting and I'm still
> smiling an hour later. Guess the hardtail is going to gather dust for a while.

Have you tried a drip of Tri-Flow on all metal-to-metal moving parts and pivots?

Bill "creaks 'n squeaks drive me nuts" S.

S o r n i wrote:
>
> Have you tried a drip of Tri-Flow on all metal-to-metal moving parts and pivots?
>

I'd go with that. All my unfortunate excersions with full suss lead me to believe that they shops
tend to apply nil oil on moving bits prior to shipping.

> Bill "creaks 'n squeaks drive me nuts" S.

Can't oil your knees Bill.

--
--
Jon [Windows]

Way ahead of his time. I fear for the future. http://www.samuri.co.uk

samuri wrote:
> S o r n i wrote:
>>
>> Have you tried a drip of Tri-Flow on all metal-to-metal moving parts and pivots?
>>
> I'd go with that. All my unfortunate excersions with full suss lead me to believe that they shops
> tend to apply nil oil on moving bits prior to shipping.
>
>> Bill "creaks 'n squeaks drive me nuts" S.
>
> Can't oil your knees Bill.

Those pop 'n crack!

Bill "good to see you back, Jon" S.

"S o r n i" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Fred Fragger wrote:
> > Just got back from the third outing on my new Marin Alpine Trail and I'm a little concerned
> > about a squeaking sound coming from the rear shock area. A mate tells me that it could be due to
> > the shock (X-Fusion 02 super air) being new and it will disappear once it's bedded-in. The sound
> > started on the second outing and is not getting worse, it also doesn't start immediately but 30
> > mins or so into the ride which I can't figure. The sound also affects my street-cred on the
> > trail! (should that be trail-cred?)
> >
> > The LBS set the rear shock at 210 but as I weigh 270 I upped it to 250 but that didn't make any
> > difference to the squeak - but I think it rode better.
> >
> > Just ridden down a bridleway that resembled a ploughed field on the 6" setting and I'm still
> > smiling an hour later. Guess the hardtail is going to gather dust for a while.
>
> Have you tried a drip of Tri-Flow on all metal-to-metal moving parts and pivots?

>
> Bill "creaks 'n squeaks drive me nuts" S.
>
>

Can't say I've seen Tri-Flow brand oil here in the UK Bill (I'm guessing you're t'other side of the
pond?). That's not to say that it's not available - just I haven't seen it.

I'll have a trip out to a couple of LBS' and see what I can find. I note from the web that it is
petroleum based with teflon so I'm sure I'll find an equivalent if I don't find the real thing.
Unfortunately the LBS that I bought the bike from doesn't open on a Sunday otherwise I'd go there
but it's a nice day and I want to get out this afternoon, preferably without the squeaks. By nice I
mean 4C, -1C with wind chill factor but blue sky and sunshine so that'll do nicely.

You'd think the shop selling the bike would lube it beforehand though?

Cheers

Fred

Fred Fragger wrote:

> I'll have a trip out to a couple of LBS' and see what I can find. I note from the web that it is
> petroleum based with teflon so I'm sure I'll find an equivalent if I don't find the real thing.
> Unfortunately the LBS that I bought the bike from doesn't open on a Sunday otherwise I'd go there
> but it's a nice day and I want to get out this afternoon, preferably without the squeaks. By nice
> I mean 4C, -1C with wind chill factor but blue sky and sunshine so that'll do nicely.

Get thee to Halfords (open on Sunday) and buy some GT85 (lube with teflon).

"bomba" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Fred Fragger wrote:
>
> > I'll have a trip out to a couple of LBS' and see what I can find. I note from the web that it is
> > petroleum based with teflon so I'm sure I'll
find an
> > equivalent if I don't find the real thing. Unfortunately the LBS that I bought the bike from
> > doesn't open on a Sunday otherwise I'd go there but it's a nice day and I want to get out this
> > afternoon, preferably without
the
> > squeaks. By nice I mean 4C, -1C with wind chill factor but blue sky and sunshine so that'll do
> > nicely.
>
> Get thee to Halfords (open on Sunday) and buy some GT85 (lube with
teflon).
>

Halfords!! I'll have to go in disguise :)

Thank 'e kindly young sir, I'll do just that.

Later,

Fred

"Fred Fragger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:bG%Zb.3186$wv.3138@newsfe1-win...
>
> "bomba" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> berlin.de...
> > Fred Fragger wrote:
> >
> > > I'll have a trip out to a couple of LBS' and see what I can find. I
note
> > > from the web that it is petroleum based with teflon so I'm sure I'll
> find an
> > > equivalent if I don't find the real thing. Unfortunately the LBS that
I
> > > bought the bike from doesn't open on a Sunday otherwise I'd go there
but
> > > it's a nice day and I want to get out this afternoon, preferably
without
> the
> > > squeaks. By nice I mean 4C, -1C with wind chill factor but blue sky
and
> > > sunshine so that'll do nicely.
> >
> > Get thee to Halfords (open on Sunday) and buy some GT85 (lube with
> teflon).
> >
>
> Halfords!! I'll have to go in disguise :)
>
> Thank 'e kindly young sir, I'll do just that.
>
> Later,
>
> Fred
>

That seems to have fixed it!

"Fred Fragger" wrote
> Just got back from the third outing on my new Marin Alpine Trail and I'm a little concerned about
> a squeaking sound coming from the rear shock area.

So what do you think of the bike then? I'm seriously thinking of getting one this spring, as it
seems to be the 'cheapest' decent full-suss bike with hydraulic discs around at the moment.

What size frame did you get. I'm 5'10" so I'm assuming I'll go for the biggest (19") frame.

Vince.

"Vince" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> "Fred Fragger" wrote
> > Just got back from the third outing on my new Marin Alpine Trail and I'm
a
> > little concerned about a squeaking sound coming from the rear shock
area.
>
> So what do you think of the bike then? I'm seriously thinking of getting one this spring, as it
> seems to be the 'cheapest' decent full-suss bike with hydraulic discs around at the moment.
>
> What size frame did you get. I'm 5'10" so I'm assuming I'll go for the biggest (19") frame.
>
> Vince.

Hi Vince,

Based on the first few outings I'm more than happy. I did spend a bit of time (assisted by a couple
of fairly serious riders that I work with) choosing the Marin from a shortlist of 5 or so
contenders. I also got the LBS to confirm with Marin UK that the bike was OK for my weight, which is
now a psychologically important 0.5lb under 19 stone after losing 5.5lb in the last week thanks to
diet and MTBing.

I'm 5'10.5" (the 0.5" is VERY important :) ) and I went for the 17.5" frame which seems to fit
well, I certainly wouldn't want anything bigger. My hardtail has a 20" frame and I think I'd have
been better off with an 18" or 19" so I paid proper attention to frame size this time round.
Obviously the best bet is to test ride the bike before you buy.

I like the brakes, some people knock Julies but they're considerably better than the cable discs on
my hardtail IMHO.

Anyway, it gets my vote but it's YOUR money :)

Later

Fred