Squeaking brakes!

stanngg

Oct 14, 2007
So my brakes are so loud. Is this caused by older or dirty rims? The pads are new and I keep the rims (Ksruim SLs) clean yet the brakes are loud as ever. Any suggestions?

Could try different brake pads (I dont know what you're using). I use Kool Stops on my AL rims and have no issues. You could also try Swiss Stop Blacks or Greens.

I hear only good things about Swiss Stops, but havent used them. A while back I replaced my standard brake pads with Kool Stops and they've been great, so I havent had the incentive to try the Swiss Stop pads yet. May give them a whirl to satisfy curiosity.

When you replaced the brake pads, did you toe them in slightly toward the front? The front of the pads should make contact before the back of the pads for quiet braking.

If this doesn't help, just put a big glob of grease on your brake pads and the squeeking won't bother you again as it will most likely be drowned out by your screaming. THIS PARAGRAPH IS JUST A JOKE. DO NOT PUT GREASE ON YOUR BRAKE PADS OR RIMS.

kdelong said:
When you replaced the brake pads, did you toe them in slightly toward the front? The front of the pads should make contact before the back of the pads for quiet braking.

If this doesn't help, just put a big glob of grease on your brake pads and the squeeking won't bother you again as it will most likely be drowned out by your screaming. THIS PARAGRAPH IS JUST A JOKE. DO NOT PUT GREASE ON YOUR BRAKE PADS OR RIMS.

An unrelated funny story. About 7 YEARS ago I put on a newsgroup that using helium in your tires would make you faster....I'm STILL getting phone calls about trying to buy these. I KNOW it'll leak out, I KNOW it was a 'joke' but still the calls come.....