Squeaky bike

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Mark, Nov 24, 2005.

  1. Mark

    Mark Guest

    Hi guys my new OCR Zero has developed a squeaky noise when slightly turning
    the handle bar, it sounds like it is comming from near the bottom of the
    head tube. I have tightened the head step just in case but this did not
    help. I will be taking my bike in for its first service soon but was hopeing
    that in the meantime I could have some squeaky free riding. Other than this
    the bike has been great.

    Any simple solutions to my problem? please bear in mind that I am not
    experienced in bike dissassembly etc.

    Thanks.

    Tags:

  2. tony f

    tony f Guest

    "Mark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Hi guys my new OCR Zero has developed a squeaky noise when slightly

    turning
    > the handle bar, it sounds like it is comming from near the bottom of the
    > head tube. I have tightened the head step just in case but this did not
    > help. I will be taking my bike in for its first service soon but was

    hopeing
    > that in the meantime I could have some squeaky free riding. Other than

    this
    > the bike has been great.
    >
    > Any simple solutions to my problem? please bear in mind that I am not
    > experienced in bike dissassembly etc.

    Look for cracks. And be aware that sound travels - squeaks that seem to be
    at the head can be elsewhere.

    Tony F
    cracks are bad - trust me

  3. GPLama

    GPLama Guest

    "tony f" wrote in message ...

    > Tony F
    > cracks are bad - trust me

    Not if they are on the beach and have a g-string 'covering' them up..*

    cheers,
    GPL
    :*I take no responsibly for any blindness caused by irresponsible perving:

  4. JayWoo

    JayWoo New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 8, 2004
    Ha! Reminds me of a shitty squeak I had on my last roadie with similar symptoms. I couldn't find it so I took it to my then LBS (I don't use them now because of this story) they said it was the headset, they replaced it, and 'tested' the bike. Still had the noise:mad:
    I finally found it, and it was simply fixed by whacking some grease on the front wheel axe where it meets with the fork!

  5. Mark

    Mark Guest

    "JayWoo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Mark Wrote:
    >> Hi guys my new OCR Zero has developed a squeaky noise when slightly
    >> turning
    >> the handle bar, it sounds like it is comming from near the bottom of
    >> the
    >> head tube.

    > Ha! Reminds me of a shitty squeak I had on my last roadie with similar
    > symptoms. I couldn't find it so I took it to my then LBS (I don't use
    > them now because of this story) they said it was the headset, they
    > replaced it, and 'tested' the bike. Still had the noise:mad:
    > I finally found it, and it was simply fixed by whacking some grease on
    > the front wheel axe where it meets with the fork!
    >

    > --
    > JayWoo

    nah mine makes the noise even if i take the wheel off and turn the bars

  6. artemidorus

    artemidorus New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2004
    Messages:
    2,307
    Cable sheath rubbing against head tube? It does on my bike, to the extent that the paint is wearing off. Nothing to be done about it...

  7. Donga

    Donga Guest

    Arte.... wrote
    >Cable sheath rubbing against head tube? It does on my bike, to the
    >extent that the paint is wearing off. Nothing to be done about it...

    Yes there is: apply a sticky velcro spot to the headtube.

    Donga

  8. artemidorus

    artemidorus New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2004
    Messages:
    2,307
    I'm too lazy.

  9. NoZX6R

    NoZX6R Guest

    Mark wrote:
    > "JayWoo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >>Mark Wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi guys my new OCR Zero has developed a squeaky noise when slightly
    >>>turning
    >>>the handle bar, it sounds like it is comming from near the bottom of
    >>>the
    >>>head tube.

    >>Ha! Reminds me of a shitty squeak I had on my last roadie with similar
    >>symptoms. I couldn't find it so I took it to my then LBS (I don't use
    >>them now because of this story) they said it was the headset, they
    >>replaced it, and 'tested' the bike. Still had the noise:mad:
    >>I finally found it, and it was simply fixed by whacking some grease on
    >>the front wheel axe where it meets with the fork!
    >>

    >>--
    >>JayWoo
    >>

    > nah mine makes the noise even if i take the wheel off and turn the bars

    It's not a cable rubbing on the headtube or something is it?

    --
    Nick

  10. phamcam

    phamcam New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 26, 2004

    My TCR, had a squeak in the same area....It was the Keriums and the fork...in that a little bit of lube on the forks were the quick release tightens up solved the problem, try this.

    NB now mine has a creak in the bottom bracket....I think.....most annoying

  11. Bean Long

    Bean Long Guest

    A rubbing cable was my first thought but the OCRs have attachments on the
    headstem to prevent this don't they?

    --
    Bean

    Remove "yourfinger" before replying
    "NoZX6R" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Mark wrote:
    > > "JayWoo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]

    > >>Ha! Reminds me of a shitty squeak I had on my last roadie with similar
    > >>symptoms. I couldn't find it so I took it to my then LBS (I don't use
    > >>them now because of this story) they said it was the headset, they
    > >>replaced it, and 'tested' the bike. Still had the noise:mad:
    > >>I finally found it, and it was simply fixed by whacking some grease on
    > >>the front wheel axe where it meets with the fork!
    > >>

    > >>--
    > >>JayWoo
    > >>

    > > nah mine makes the noise even if i take the wheel off and turn the bars
    > >

    > It's not a cable rubbing on the headtube or something is it?
    >
    > --
    > Nick

  12. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On 2005-11-25, phamcam (aka Bruce)
    > My TCR, had a squeak in the same area....It was the Keriums and the
    > fork...in that a little bit of lube on the forks were the quick release
    > tightens up solved the problem, try this.
    >

    > NB now mine has a creak in the bottom bracket....I think.....most
    > annoying

    Mine seems to be in the top tube, near the seat -- perfect crack
    fodder.

    Haven't been able to find it, and the LBS have always given me the
    runaround -- headstem, seat post, etc (despite me testing without the
    seatpost in it). As soon as the free services are up, I'm going
    elsewhere. And since the frame has a lifetime warranty, and the noise
    has been there ever since the start, I shall be kicking up a fuss when
    it dies.

    --
    TimC
    Entropy isn't what it used to be.

  13. dave

    dave Guest

    TimC wrote:
    > On 2005-11-25, phamcam (aka Bruce)
    >
    >>My TCR, had a squeak in the same area....It was the Keriums and the
    >>fork...in that a little bit of lube on the forks were the quick release
    >>tightens up solved the problem, try this.
    >>

    >>NB now mine has a creak in the bottom bracket....I think.....most
    >>annoying

    > Mine seems to be in the top tube, near the seat -- perfect crack
    > fodder.
    >
    > Haven't been able to find it, and the LBS have always given me the
    > runaround -- headstem, seat post, etc (despite me testing without the
    > seatpost in it). As soon as the free services are up, I'm going
    > elsewhere. And since the frame has a lifetime warranty, and the noise
    > has been there ever since the start, I shall be kicking up a fuss when
    > it dies.

    Geez Tim its a giant.
    My TCR creaks like a windjammer in a force 8 around the horn.
    All giant compacts creak. Spray lube at everything and grease
    everything else and maybe you will be able to stand it. Anyone with a
    TCR or OCR more than a month old who says it doesnt have a single creak
    needs to get their hearing checked.

    Conversly the Trek and the Bates dont creak. And Stealth Kat.. has the
    odd rattle but no creaks.

    Hell even the seat on the TCR creaks

    Dave

    Dave

  14. jim

    jim Guest

    no - put a tiny smear of oil on the actual fitting - worked for me

    "Bean Long" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >A rubbing cable was my first thought but the OCRs have attachments on the
    > headstem to prevent this don't they?
    >
    > --
    > Bean
    >
    > Remove "yourfinger" before replying
    > "NoZX6R" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> Mark wrote:
    >> > "JayWoo" <[email protected]> wrote in
    >> > message
    >> > news:[email protected]

    >> > nah mine makes the noise even if i take the wheel off and turn the bars
    >> >

    >> It's not a cable rubbing on the headtube or something is it?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Nick

  15. Random Data

    Random Data Guest

  16. Resound

    Resound Guest

    "dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > TimC wrote:
    >> On 2005-11-25, phamcam (aka Bruce)
    >> was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea:
    >>
    >>>My TCR, had a squeak in the same area....It was the Keriums and the
    >>>fork...in that a little bit of lube on the forks were the quick release
    >>>tightens up solved the problem, try this.
    >>>

    >>>NB now mine has a creak in the bottom bracket....I think.....most
    >>>annoying

    >> Mine seems to be in the top tube, near the seat -- perfect crack
    >> fodder.
    >>
    >> Haven't been able to find it, and the LBS have always given me the
    >> runaround -- headstem, seat post, etc (despite me testing without the
    >> seatpost in it). As soon as the free services are up, I'm going
    >> elsewhere. And since the frame has a lifetime warranty, and the noise
    >> has been there ever since the start, I shall be kicking up a fuss when
    >> it dies.
    >>

    > Geez Tim its a giant.
    > My TCR creaks like a windjammer in a force 8 around the horn.
    > All giant compacts creak. Spray lube at everything and grease everything
    > else and maybe you will be able to stand it. Anyone with a TCR or OCR
    > more than a month old who says it doesnt have a single creak needs to get
    > their hearing checked.
    >
    > Conversly the Trek and the Bates dont creak. And Stealth Kat.. has the
    > odd rattle but no creaks.
    >
    > Hell even the seat on the TCR creaks
    >
    > Dave
    >
    > Dave

    Mine makes some astonishing noises. I think it's the stem, but I'm not sure.
    I'll find out when I get around to replacing it.

  17. Dancier

    Dancier New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 26, 2005
    My OCR2 squeaks around the front end somewhere, I though it may of been frame flex but have since figured it's the forks or somewhere around there.

    It does not worry me that much now but seems to put other people off exspecially if they think the squeak is coming from there bike.

  18. Bean Long

    Bean Long Guest

    At the risk of invoking the kiss of death, my TCR2 doesn't squeak (...yet)