Squeaky bike

Mark

Guest
Hi guys my new OCR Zero has developed a squeaky noise when slightly turning
the handle bar, it sounds like it is comming from near the bottom of the
head tube. I have tightened the head step just in case but this did not
help. I will be taking my bike in for its first service soon but was hopeing
that in the meantime I could have some squeaky free riding. Other than this
the bike has been great.

Any simple solutions to my problem? please bear in mind that I am not
experienced in bike dissassembly etc.

Thanks.

"Mark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi guys my new OCR Zero has developed a squeaky noise when slightly

turning
> the handle bar, it sounds like it is comming from near the bottom of the
> head tube. I have tightened the head step just in case but this did not
> help. I will be taking my bike in for its first service soon but was

hopeing
> that in the meantime I could have some squeaky free riding. Other than

this
> the bike has been great.
>
> Any simple solutions to my problem? please bear in mind that I am not
> experienced in bike dissassembly etc.

Look for cracks. And be aware that sound travels - squeaks that seem to be
at the head can be elsewhere.

Tony F
cracks are bad - trust me

"tony f" wrote in message ...

> Tony F
> cracks are bad - trust me

Not if they are on the beach and have a g-string 'covering' them up..*

cheers,
GPL
:*I take no responsibly for any blindness caused by irresponsible perving:

Mark said:
Hi guys my new OCR Zero has developed a squeaky noise when slightly turning
the handle bar, it sounds like it is comming from near the bottom of the
head tube.
Ha! Reminds me of a shitty squeak I had on my last roadie with similar symptoms. I couldn't find it so I took it to my then LBS (I don't use them now because of this story) they said it was the headset, they replaced it, and 'tested' the bike. Still had the noise:mad:
I finally found it, and it was simply fixed by whacking some grease on the front wheel axe where it meets with the fork!

"JayWoo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Mark Wrote:
>> Hi guys my new OCR Zero has developed a squeaky noise when slightly
>> turning
>> the handle bar, it sounds like it is comming from near the bottom of
>> the
>> head tube.

> Ha! Reminds me of a shitty squeak I had on my last roadie with similar
> symptoms. I couldn't find it so I took it to my then LBS (I don't use
> them now because of this story) they said it was the headset, they
> replaced it, and 'tested' the bike. Still had the noise:mad:
> I finally found it, and it was simply fixed by whacking some grease on
> the front wheel axe where it meets with the fork!
>

> --
> JayWoo

nah mine makes the noise even if i take the wheel off and turn the bars

Mark said:
Hi guys my new OCR Zero has developed a squeaky noise when slightly turning
the handle bar, it sounds like it is comming from near the bottom of the
head tube. I have tightened the head step just in case but this did not
help. I will be taking my bike in for its first service soon but was hopeing
that in the meantime I could have some squeaky free riding. Other than this
the bike has been great.

Any simple solutions to my problem? please bear in mind that I am not
experienced in bike dissassembly etc.

Thanks.
Cable sheath rubbing against head tube? It does on my bike, to the extent that the paint is wearing off. Nothing to be done about it...

Arte.... wrote
>Cable sheath rubbing against head tube? It does on my bike, to the
>extent that the paint is wearing off. Nothing to be done about it...

Yes there is: apply a sticky velcro spot to the headtube.

Donga

Donga said:
Arte.... wrote
>Cable sheath rubbing against head tube? It does on my bike, to the
>extent that the paint is wearing off. Nothing to be done about it...

Yes there is: apply a sticky velcro spot to the headtube.

Donga
I'm too lazy.

Mark wrote:
> "JayWoo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>Mark Wrote:
>>
>>>Hi guys my new OCR Zero has developed a squeaky noise when slightly
>>>turning
>>>the handle bar, it sounds like it is comming from near the bottom of
>>>the
>>>head tube.

>>Ha! Reminds me of a shitty squeak I had on my last roadie with similar
>>symptoms. I couldn't find it so I took it to my then LBS (I don't use
>>them now because of this story) they said it was the headset, they
>>replaced it, and 'tested' the bike. Still had the noise:mad:
>>I finally found it, and it was simply fixed by whacking some grease on
>>the front wheel axe where it meets with the fork!
>>

>>--
>>JayWoo
>>

> nah mine makes the noise even if i take the wheel off and turn the bars

It's not a cable rubbing on the headtube or something is it?

--
Nick

Mark said:
Hi guys my new OCR Zero has developed a squeaky noise when slightly turning
the handle bar, it sounds like it is comming from near the bottom of the
head tube. I have tightened the head step just in case but this did not
help. I will be taking my bike in for its first service soon but was hopeing
that in the meantime I could have some squeaky free riding. Other than this
the bike has been great.

Any simple solutions to my problem? please bear in mind that I am not
experienced in bike dissassembly etc.

Thanks.

My TCR, had a squeak in the same area....It was the Keriums and the fork...in that a little bit of lube on the forks were the quick release tightens up solved the problem, try this.

NB now mine has a creak in the bottom bracket....I think.....most annoying

A rubbing cable was my first thought but the OCRs have attachments on the
headstem to prevent this don't they?

--
Bean

Remove "yourfinger" before replying
news:[email protected]...

On 2005-11-25, phamcam (aka Bruce)
> My TCR, had a squeak in the same area....It was the Keriums and the
> fork...in that a little bit of lube on the forks were the quick release
> tightens up solved the problem, try this.
>

> NB now mine has a creak in the bottom bracket....I think.....most
> annoying

Mine seems to be in the top tube, near the seat -- perfect crack
fodder.

Haven't been able to find it, and the LBS have always given me the
runaround -- headstem, seat post, etc (despite me testing without the
seatpost in it). As soon as the free services are up, I'm going
elsewhere. And since the frame has a lifetime warranty, and the noise
has been there ever since the start, I shall be kicking up a fuss when
it dies.

--
TimC
Entropy isn't what it used to be.

TimC wrote:
> On 2005-11-25, phamcam (aka Bruce)
>
>>My TCR, had a squeak in the same area....It was the Keriums and the
>>fork...in that a little bit of lube on the forks were the quick release
>>tightens up solved the problem, try this.
>>

>>NB now mine has a creak in the bottom bracket....I think.....most
>>annoying

> Mine seems to be in the top tube, near the seat -- perfect crack
> fodder.
>
> Haven't been able to find it, and the LBS have always given me the
> runaround -- headstem, seat post, etc (despite me testing without the
> seatpost in it). As soon as the free services are up, I'm going
> elsewhere. And since the frame has a lifetime warranty, and the noise
> has been there ever since the start, I shall be kicking up a fuss when
> it dies.

Geez Tim its a giant.
My TCR creaks like a windjammer in a force 8 around the horn.
All giant compacts creak. Spray lube at everything and grease
everything else and maybe you will be able to stand it. Anyone with a
TCR or OCR more than a month old who says it doesnt have a single creak
needs to get their hearing checked.

Conversly the Trek and the Bates dont creak. And Stealth Kat.. has the
odd rattle but no creaks.

Hell even the seat on the TCR creaks

Dave

Dave

no - put a tiny smear of oil on the actual fitting - worked for me

"Bean Long" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>A rubbing cable was my first thought but the OCRs have attachments on the
> headstem to prevent this don't they?
>
> --
> Bean
>
> Remove "yourfinger" before replying
> "NoZX6R" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Mark wrote:
>> > "JayWoo" <[email protected]> wrote in
>> > message
>> > news:[email protected]...

>> > nah mine makes the noise even if i take the wheel off and turn the bars
>> >

>> It's not a cable rubbing on the headtube or something is it?
>>
>> --
>> Nick

"dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> TimC wrote:
>> On 2005-11-25, phamcam (aka Bruce)
>> was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea:
>>
>>>My TCR, had a squeak in the same area....It was the Keriums and the
>>>fork...in that a little bit of lube on the forks were the quick release
>>>tightens up solved the problem, try this.
>>>

>>>NB now mine has a creak in the bottom bracket....I think.....most
>>>annoying

>> Mine seems to be in the top tube, near the seat -- perfect crack
>> fodder.
>>
>> Haven't been able to find it, and the LBS have always given me the
>> runaround -- headstem, seat post, etc (despite me testing without the
>> seatpost in it). As soon as the free services are up, I'm going
>> elsewhere. And since the frame has a lifetime warranty, and the noise
>> has been there ever since the start, I shall be kicking up a fuss when
>> it dies.
>>

> Geez Tim its a giant.
> My TCR creaks like a windjammer in a force 8 around the horn.
> All giant compacts creak. Spray lube at everything and grease everything
> else and maybe you will be able to stand it. Anyone with a TCR or OCR
> more than a month old who says it doesnt have a single creak needs to get
> their hearing checked.
>
> Conversly the Trek and the Bates dont creak. And Stealth Kat.. has the
> odd rattle but no creaks.
>
> Hell even the seat on the TCR creaks
>
> Dave
>
> Dave

Mine makes some astonishing noises. I think it's the stem, but I'm not sure.
I'll find out when I get around to replacing it.

Mark said:
Hi guys my new OCR Zero has developed a squeaky noise when slightly turning
the handle bar, it sounds like it is comming from near the bottom of the
head tube. I have tightened the head step just in case but this did not
help. I will be taking my bike in for its first service soon but was hopeing
that in the meantime I could have some squeaky free riding. Other than this
the bike has been great.

Any simple solutions to my problem? please bear in mind that I am not
experienced in bike dissassembly etc.

Thanks.
My OCR2 squeaks around the front end somewhere, I though it may of been frame flex but have since figured it's the forks or somewhere around there.

It does not worry me that much now but seems to put other people off exspecially if they think the squeak is coming from there bike.

At the risk of invoking the kiss of death, my TCR2 doesn't squeak (...yet)