Squeaky brakes.... Ahhhhh!!!

HarMonica

Aug 16, 2003
I bought a bike about 2 months ago and now I'm having trouble with the brakes. Everything is fine except the brakes are making an awful squeaky noise when I use them. I need help. I use my bike to go everywhere.
I was in a bike accident recently because I came down this hill faster then I normally do and I ended up clipping the curb and going head over my handlebars. Thank goodness, I only have a few scrapes and bruises. Anyone have any suggestions?

*Monica

Originally posted by HarMonica
I bought a bike about 2 months ago and now I'm having trouble with the brakes. Everything is fine except the brakes are making an awful squeaky noise when I use them. I need help. I use my bike to go everywhere.
I was in a bike accident recently because I came down this hill faster then I normally do and I ended up clipping the curb and going head over my handlebars. Thank goodness, I only have a few scrapes and bruises. Anyone have any suggestions?

*Monica

I don't know - and if you don't getn aswers here, post in the "cycling equipment" forum since brakes are.

I have this habit of trying to ride with the brakes on. A good workout but not too efficient.

A couple of things you can try:

• Cleaning the braking surface of the wheel rims. The best thing to use is a cleaning solvent that evaporates without leaving any residue, like isopropyl alcohol. A damp rag should be a good enough help, though.
  • Adjusting the toe-in of the brake pads themselves, so that when you apply the brake, the front of the pad will end up hitting the rim surface just before the rest of it does. (If you do this, make sure you don't bend the brake calipers themselves..)

Either (or both) of these should fix the problem, or at least lessen the squealing.

If the braking surface is in really poor shape, or if the pads have gone brittle, sometimes they are the problem. (If your bike is only a couple of months old, it shouldn't be an issue though.)

Both of your answers have been very helpful. Thank you so much.

*monica

Originally posted by rek
A couple of things you can try:

• Cleaning the braking surface of the wheel rims. The best thing to use is a cleaning solvent that evaporates without leaving any residue, like isopropyl alcohol. A damp rag should be a good enough help, though.
  • Adjusting the toe-in of the brake pads themselves, so that when you apply the brake, the front of the pad will end up hitting the rim surface just before the rest of it does. (If you do this, make sure you don't bend the brake calipers themselves..)

Either (or both) of these should fix the problem, or at least lessen the squealing.

If the braking surface is in really poor shape, or if the pads have gone brittle, sometimes they are the problem. (If your bike is only a couple of months old, it shouldn't be an issue though.)