Squeaky Downshift

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sam Salt

I have not long had a new rear mech fitted,Deore LX.All was quiet at first but an annoying squeak
has developed when changing into a larger sprocket.It is silent when going to a smaller sprocket,no
noise at all.It is difficult to determine where exactly the squeak is coming from but it appears to
arise from the cassette/chain itself rather than the mech as if the wheel is absent the mech moves
silently.I have lubricated the mech,the chain (after a good clean ),sprayed some on the sprockets,
and also squirted some down the cable but the squeak persists.It may not be anything to do with the
new mech,in fact I don't think it is,but it is slowly getting on my nerves.The cassette is 8-speed
MegaRange.It changes gear with no problem except for the squeak.Anyone any ideas please.

Sam Salt

Thanks will give it a go.

Sam Salt

"A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> "Sam Salt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > I have not long had a new rear mech fitted,Deore LX.All was quiet at
first
> > but an annoying squeak has developed when changing into a larger
> sprocket.It
> > is silent when going to a smaller sprocket,no noise at all.It is
difficult
> > to determine where exactly the squeak is coming from but it appears to
> arise
> > from the cassette/chain itself rather than the mech as if the wheel is absent the mech moves
> > silently.I have lubricated the mech,the chain (after a good clean ),sprayed some on the
> > sprockets, and
> also
> > squirted some down the cable but the squeak persists.It may not be
> anything
> > to do with the new mech,in fact I don't think it is,but it is slowly
> getting
> > on my nerves.The cassette is 8-speed MegaRange.It changes gear with no problem except for the
> > squeak.Anyone any ideas please.
>
> Slip out the rollers from the rear derialleur cage and get some lube on
the
> sleeve inside. Many mechanics and bike asemblers skip that part of prep
and
> you can;t get lubricany past the dust cover without talking it apart. They make a distinctive
> high-pitched intermittent squeal.
>
> --
> Andrew Muzi http://www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April 1971

Status
Not open for further replies.