Squeaky front suspension

pj

Guest
I just purchased a brand new (2005 model) Specialized Crossroads Sport 3
months ago and after 2 months, the front suspension (I'm 90% sure it is the
front suspension, but it COULD BE something else - I'm opened to that
possibility) started to squeak. I tried cleaning the shaft that goes into
the fork, I tried lub'ing it with several different things. Light oil
seemed to help a little for a short time, but the squeak came back shortly
thereafter. Silicone spray and a GM lubricating spray did nothing. I
talked to the dealer and he suggested that I take a q-tip with some alcohol
on it and clean the rubber seal where the shaft goes into the fork (and the
shaft). This did not help at all.

Does anyone have any suggestions how to get rid of this squeak? It is
almost constant and sounds a little loike rubbing a balloon except a couple
octaves lower. The bike only has a few hunderd miles on it and has been
well cared for and is only ridden on paved paths other than an occasional
detour into the grass to go around impedaments in the path.

Thanks in advance,

-PJ

pj wrote:
> I just purchased a brand new (2005 model) Specialized Crossroads Sport 3
> months ago and after 2 months, the front suspension (I'm 90% sure it is the
> front suspension, but it COULD BE something else - I'm opened to that
> possibility) started to squeak. I tried cleaning the shaft that goes into
> the fork, I tried lub'ing it with several different things. Light oil
> seemed to help a little for a short time, but the squeak came back shortly
> thereafter. Silicone spray and a GM lubricating spray did nothing. I
> talked to the dealer and he suggested that I take a q-tip with some alcohol
> on it and clean the rubber seal where the shaft goes into the fork (and the
> shaft). This did not help at all.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions how to get rid of this squeak? It is
> almost constant and sounds a little loike rubbing a balloon except a couple
> octaves lower. The bike only has a few hunderd miles on it and has been
> well cared for and is only ridden on paved paths other than an occasional
> detour into the grass to go around impedaments in the path.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> -PJ

This is not the answer you are looking for, but you could lock it off if
the mechanism allows for it. My first bike had a front suspension.
Most of my riding is on pavement, so I decided I didn't need the
suspension anyway.

On Wed, 31 May 2006 07:35:19 -0500, "pj" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I just purchased a brand new (2005 model) Specialized Crossroads Sport 3
>months ago and after 2 months, the front suspension (I'm 90% sure it is the
>front suspension, but it COULD BE something else - I'm opened to that
>possibility) started to squeak. I tried cleaning the shaft that goes into
>the fork, I tried lub'ing it with several different things. Light oil
>seemed to help a little for a short time, but the squeak came back shortly
>thereafter. Silicone spray and a GM lubricating spray did nothing. I
>talked to the dealer and he suggested that I take a q-tip with some alcohol
>on it and clean the rubber seal where the shaft goes into the fork (and the
>shaft). This did not help at all.
>
>Does anyone have any suggestions how to get rid of this squeak? It is
>almost constant and sounds a little loike rubbing a balloon except a couple
>octaves lower. The bike only has a few hunderd miles on it and has been
>well cared for and is only ridden on paved paths other than an occasional
>detour into the grass to go around impedaments in the path.

Check the clamps on the stem at both ends; you may find that your
suspension squeak is really coming from slightly higher than you
expected.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

Thanks to both of you for your suggestions. I finally sent an email t
Specialized and they suggested that I pry off the seals and put in a little
heavy oil - I think that fixed it.

I appreciate you two taking the time to help me.

-Pete
news:[email protected]...